PDA

View Full Version : How do you move a 700# cabinet smoker?

StickyD
01-17-2014, 03:52 PM
Ok, I know the answer probably is "carefully!"

Long story short: I am in Europe and there's not much of a BBQ culture here, was looking to import a Backwoods or Stump's, then yesterday I found a guy on a German BBQ forum who'd built a Backwoods-style cabinet in October. I wrote and asked if he would build me one, he hadn't the time, so I offered to buy the one he'd just made. He said he'd part with it for $2,300. Here's a pic toward the end of the build:
http://www.eng.thetavern.cz/i/BB/backwoods-style-build.jpg

But then he told me it weighs 700 to 800 pounds! I would need to install this in a kitchen down a short set of stairs--how do guys move such heavy pieces of equipment? I've carried my share of fridges with a couple of guys, but can just four guys carry something so heavy, or is there an easier way? Thanks for any advice!

Here's his build thread:
http://forum.mybbq.net/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=38955&hilit=backwoods
Here's his first cook:
http://forum.mybbq.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=39261

htrisna
01-17-2014, 03:55 PM
Even though this is not a complete answer, but I learned (after moving my stickburner to the back yard across the grass lawn with 2 planks of plywood one at a time), is to remove all grates and diffuser pans to make it lighter.

MossyMO
01-17-2014, 03:57 PM
I would hire a piano moving company... much easier on the back.

Shagdog
01-17-2014, 04:01 PM
I would hire a piano moving company... much easier on the back.

Yep. Pay someone else!

Hozman
01-17-2014, 04:01 PM
Lots of beer and neighbors:-P

SigSauerNY
01-17-2014, 04:05 PM
Look on craigslist or a local landscaping company with a forklift or small dozed to strap and move for a quick $50-100 bucks and never break a sweat.

If its a couple of feet then solicit neighboors with cold beer and bbq

foppa78
01-17-2014, 04:06 PM
Is there a seal around the doors?

PaPaQ
01-17-2014, 04:06 PM
Look and see if you can rent a appliance hand truck, they work pretty good for moving heavy smokers and gun safes.

GrillsGoneWild
01-17-2014, 04:27 PM
Appliance hand truck and taking off the doors will probably do it.

StickyD
01-17-2014, 04:45 PM
Is there a seal around the doors?

I am trying to find that out myself, I only have seen his build-out pics from the forum, none of which show a seal. (he's sending new pics, so I will soon find out)

I would find it strange it wouldn't have a door gasket, after so much work. But I imagine I would be able to install it myself without much effort?

Drake
01-17-2014, 05:13 PM
If you cant or dont want to get someone else you can usually rent a dolly used for moving vending machines and appliances.

ButtBurner
01-17-2014, 05:23 PM
you want to put this in the kitchen??

Yellowhair42
01-17-2014, 06:27 PM

Dude,that's what I was thinking!

Pole D
01-17-2014, 06:36 PM
Going down stairs with it will be tough. Well unless you just let go of it.

dwfisk
01-17-2014, 06:43 PM
Think 2x8's for ramps on the stairs and a come-a-long or block-n-tackle, no sweat! It does look like a pretty good cooker for the money, especially in Europe where I bet it is pretty rare.

htrisna
01-17-2014, 06:48 PM

Is outdoor space that scarce in Europe? Man, we sure are blessed here in Texas :)

BBQchef33
01-17-2014, 07:09 PM
Appliance hand trucks max out at 1200 lbs.

700lbs going down stairs is way beyond an amateur job.. I would hire someone with the right tools and equipment. A mover just charged us 50 bucks to get a 850 lb china cabinet up a flight of stairs last week.. better than wrecking my walls and the furniture.

Otherwise start engineering it to work smart not hard, i.e. come along, block and tackle, or best idea, a winch. Dont roll it!! even if its on a ramp.

If I were doing it on my own.. 1.5 inch plywood layed down on the steps and lay that thing on its back and slide it down, with a heavy strap going underneath, up both sides, and either anchored with B&T or with 2 strong guys on both sides to control it.

heres our fiasco moving 900lb MOAB. Using straps and levers, we made it easy.

http://s117.photobucket.com/user/bbqchef33/embed/slideshow/movin%20moab (http://s117.photobucket.com/user/bbqchef33/embed/slideshow/movin%20moab)

The last pics are missing, but once we had the supports in place on the back of Moab, we strapped it to them with ratchet straps which enabled us to lower it controlled and slow, then once laying down, and we used a floor jack to lift up the tail end and roll it in.

Titch
01-17-2014, 07:14 PM
Use a Safe removing company, safer than trying to catch 700 lbs that bolts on you

popeye
01-17-2014, 07:19 PM
i like the one ... Good neibhbors with cold beer

rick51
01-17-2014, 10:25 PM
Thirty-five years in the moving business. I've done jobs like this. If it's a straight stairway, no turns, it's a one man job with an appliance dolly. Like a gun safe. But, you have to know how.

If you don't already know how, hire a pro. It's not rocket science, but there are a few tricks and traps. If you lose it on the steps, it will be bad, destructive. Much worse if there is somebody underneath it.

A decent furniture mover could handle it, safe mover, piano mover, whatever.

StickyD
01-18-2014, 02:01 AM

In a commercial kitchen.

Great advice from everyone about moving it down the stairs, thanks! And thankfully for the health of all involved I now realize it's not a job me and three half-buzzed-up buddies might try and pull off on the cheap!

StickyD
01-18-2014, 02:10 AM
Appliance hand trucks max out at 1200 lbs.

700lbs going down stairs is way beyond an amateur job.. I would hire someone with the right tools and equipment. A mover just charged us 50 bucks to get a 850 lb china cabinet up a flight of stairs last week.. better than wrecking my walls and the furniture.

Otherwise start engineering it to work smart not hard, i.e. come along, block and tackle, or best idea, a winch. Dont roll it!! even if its on a ramp.

If I were doing it on my own.. 1.5 inch plywood layed down on the steps and lay that thing on its back and slide it down, with a heavy strap going underneath, up both sides, and either anchored with B&T or with 2 strong guys on both sides to control it.

heres our fiasco moving 900lb MOAB. Using straps and levers, we made it easy.

http://s117.photobucket.com/user/bbqchef33/embed/slideshow/movin%20moab

The last pics are missing, but once we had the supports in place on the back of Moab, we strapped it to them with ratchet straps which enabled us to lower it controlled and slow, then once laying down, and we used a floor jack to lift up the tail end and roll it in.

Great advice and slideshow moving the MOAB, thanks--it really underlines that a #900 pound piece of equipment is not like a heavy fridge four guys can muscle around.

Wolverine
01-18-2014, 05:47 AM
Buy a WSM22.5 and they will deliver it to your door,

16Adams
01-18-2014, 06:00 AM
Don't lift anything you can roll. Don't roll anything you can slide.
BUT
Plus one hiring a piano mover