PDA

View Full Version : Feedback request

gouldina
01-17-2014, 08:14 AM
Admin: I hope this post is OK in this forum. If not, please move.

Dear Brethren, I have started a little blog on the subject of barbecuing, curing and meat cooking in general. I'm kind of a noob to the sort of barbecuing you guys do - I bought a Vision Kamado about a year ago - so I thought it would be fun to document some of my experiments and I like photography so it seemed like a good project. If anyone fancies a read and giving some feedback maybe, it's here:

http://gouldina.tumblr.com

Today's post (3rd one down - I had some backstories to finish...) is about my attempt today to hot-smoke some chicken to have with a tomato paella. The barbecue ain't even lit yet so it won't be finished until later.

All the best from wet and windy Wales,
gouldina.

Shagdog
01-17-2014, 08:32 AM
Looks great! Well written and nice photos. Only thing I thought was odd was that your current post was in the middle of the page, but otherwise, Looks like you're off to a great start :thumb: Can't wait to see how the chicken comes out.

And welcome to the brethren!

gouldina
01-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Looks great! Well written and nice photos. Only thing I thought was odd was that your current post was in the middle of the page, but otherwise, Looks like you're off to a great start :thumb: Can't wait to see how the chicken comes out.

And welcome to the brethren!

Thank you Shagdog! Yeah, it is odd you're right - I can't work out how to re-order the posts. I'm such a klutz. I will update you on the chicken later. I'd better not screw it up now I've advertised it - eek!

Shagdog
01-17-2014, 08:43 AM
What temp are you going to smoke your bird?

gouldina
01-17-2014, 08:47 AM
What temp are you going to smoke your bird?

I was planning around 110C/225F. What are your thoughts?

Shagdog
01-17-2014, 08:50 AM
If you're pulling the meat and not worried about the skin, you'll be fine. If you want a crispier skin, I'd push your temp up into the 300-325 range. I've had delicious juicy chicken cooked both ways, the biggest difference is how the skin comes out. at 225 it will be pretty rubbery. Don't worry about smoke flavor, chicken takes it on easily, so whatever temp you chose, the smoke flavor will be there.

gouldina
01-17-2014, 09:00 AM
If you're pulling the meat and not worried about the skin, you'll be fine. If you want a crispier skin, I'd push your temp up into the 300-325 range. I've had delicious juicy chicken cooked both ways, the biggest difference is how the skin comes out. at 225 it will be pretty rubbery. Don't worry about smoke flavor, chicken takes it on easily, so whatever temp you chose, the smoke flavor will be there.

That's interesting. Dammit, now I'm going to have to try it both ways! I think I'm going to have to go with the slow one this time 'cos I've lit the fire and also I've never tried it. Next time, faster with the crisp skin for comparison.

Thanks for the advice Shagdog.

Shagdog
01-17-2014, 09:11 AM
No problem! Make sure you post some pics of your cook up later today. We love pics around here :thumb:

gouldina
01-17-2014, 09:16 AM
No problem! Make sure you post some pics of your cook up later today. We love pics around here :thumb:

Will do mate.

Edit: PS stuck a link on the blog to this forum.

gouldina
01-18-2014, 06:24 AM
Pics as promised:

The cooked chicken. It was really nice.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/73b0d77c21f932e7189dbd299c1036ac/tumblr_inline_mzlghuQAV51qm04xr.jpg

Tomato paella cooking:

https://31.media.tumblr.com/67174d199a5d88d3775d60d73609f189/tumblr_inline_mzlgdbp9JY1qm04xr.jpg

Full story and recipe on the link provided in the first post.

Diesel Dave
01-18-2014, 06:45 AM
Fine lookin bird there :thumb:

gouldina
01-18-2014, 07:28 AM
Fine lookin bird there :thumb:

Cheers Dave! Yeah it was pretty nice. I will definitely do it again and next time I'll try Shagdog's suggestion for comparison.

Now for the next project. I'm thinking maybe of brining some brisket and smoking it for pastrami. Anyone done this? Any tips?

Shagdog
01-18-2014, 09:23 AM
Bird looks great! Nice color. No pics of the side by side?

I'm not a big pastrami guy. I love BBQ brisket too much.. But, I have a buddy who makes it a lot. After he brines it to corned beef, he covers it in this rub, vacuum seals it, and lets it sit for a few days (5 I think?). It was the first pastrami I ever had that made me actually want to make pastrami. I'm not sure how crucial the Hold is, as I haven't seen many people do it, but it was about 100x better than when I tried his without it. Hope this helps. Here's what he coats the corned beef with. I don't have his brine though...

4 tablespoons fresh coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons coriander powder
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder

gouldina
01-19-2014, 08:29 AM
Bird looks great! Nice color. No pics of the side by side?

I'm not a big pastrami guy. I love BBQ brisket too much.. But, I have a buddy who makes it a lot. After he brines it to corned beef, he covers it in this rub, vacuum seals it, and lets it sit for a few days (5 I think?). It was the first pastrami I ever had that made me actually want to make pastrami. I'm not sure how crucial the Hold is, as I haven't seen many people do it, but it was about 100x better than when I tried his without it. Hope this helps. Here's what he coats the corned beef with. I don't have his brine though...

4 tablespoons fresh coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons coriander powder
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder

Hey thanks Shagdog! I've got a few brine recipes as it goes. That's really helpful thanks.