PDA

View Full Version : Should i expand the kettle or WSM??

Zak
01-15-2014, 09:51 AM
I got a drum from my work but instead of building a UDS, i built a pizza oven and a rotisserie section for the kettle from the drum and now i have a section of the drum left over and trying to figure out what to use it for. It's about 20-24" tall and I've narrowed it down to making a mini-wsm using the kettle or use it to expand the capacity of the WSM. It'd be nice to be able to load more meat on the wsm when needed, which isn't too often, but it'd also be nice to run 2 seperate smokers at different temps. But, the kettle is nice to fire up for smaller cooks however it is tough to keep temps low. So what do you guys think is the best move, expand the cooking capacity of the WSM or make the kettle into a mini-smoker??

el_matt
01-15-2014, 10:38 AM
Expand the WSM, simply because, as you put it, "the kettle is nice to fire up for smaller cooks however it is tough to keep temps low.".

Matt

SmittyJonz
01-15-2014, 10:47 AM
Could it not be made to do both? Swap back n forth as needed?

katman
01-15-2014, 10:54 AM
I'd expand the kettle so you have two smokers when you need them or when you just want to smoke on the kettle. It is harder to get a low temp but you can do it by playing with the vents or using less charcoal.

ButtBurner
01-15-2014, 10:57 AM
I made the roto extenstion for my kettle.

I also use the kettle as a smoker by plugging the roto holes in the extension and adding a grate to it

So I use the extension for both

Zak
01-15-2014, 12:30 PM
Smittyjonz: Cant use an expansion ring on both cause the kettle is the 22" and the WSM is the 18". I really dont need more meat capacity because if i really planned a big party i'd use my stick burner or get my other WSM from my camp. I'm still fine tuning the low and slow of the kettle but wish it sealed better, which i'll be looking into soon. I do like the idea of using the rotisserie as a smoker mod also. It'd be one less thing to store somewhere in the garage. I have 2 extra grates for the WSM that i pulled out of an old ECB so for things like chicken thighs/wings or jerky, the wsm does have a large amount of space in it. I was thinking more like cooking more butts at one time to save on fuel.

ButtBurner
01-15-2014, 12:36 PM
Cant use an expansion ring on both cause the kettle is the 22" and the WSM is the 18". I really dont need more meat capacity because if i really planned a big party i'd use my stick burner or get my other WSM from my camp. I'm still fine tuning the low and slow of the kettle but wish it sealed better, which i'll be looking into soon. I do like the idea of using the rotisserie as a smoker mod also. It'd be one less thing to store somewhere in the garage. I have 2 extra grates for the WSM that i pulled out of an old ECB so for things like chicken thighs/wings or jerky, the wsm does have a large amount of space in it. I was thinking more like cooking more butts at one time to save on fuel.

no I am not saying use it on both

I am saying I use the ring for both the rotis and to expand my kettle. Why make another ring when you already have one is my point if you want to expand the kettle

SmittyJonz
01-15-2014, 01:42 PM
Oh I see - I'd do the Kettle - when I smoke in my Kettle it holds really steady temps I just have to add charcoal after 3 hrs so I use it for things like Steaks, Meatloaf, Loins, small roasts, Birds etc that take less than 3 hrs otherwise I just use my UDS.

Zak
01-15-2014, 03:29 PM
That's the other drawback of the kettle as a smoker, charcoal capacity. I guess if i do use the kettle i'd also have to make a water pan like diffuser then i could probably build a charcoal basket. The more i think about it the more i'm leaning towards the wsm.

SmittyJonz
01-15-2014, 03:42 PM
Guys say they can get. 6-8 hrs with charcoal snake in Kettle but I don't do snake.

El Ropo
01-15-2014, 05:31 PM
I've done 9 hours + using simple snake, or ring of fire method in the kettle, cooking at around 275. The brisket turned out great. During the cook, I rotated the brisket several times so the point was closest to the hot spot. Best point meat I've ever made.

HankB
01-15-2014, 08:46 PM
Given your stable, I'd probably use it to expand the kettle to provide a smoker with larger area so I could lay racks of ribs flat.

There are ways to maintain lower tempos on a kettle like the snake. Are you familiar with them?

Fwismoker
01-15-2014, 08:49 PM
Either expand kettle or go UDS..no WSM

Nothing like live fire cooking and a UDS does better than a WSM even if you removed the water pan... jmo

Fwismoker
01-15-2014, 08:53 PM
or just build a mini wsm

Happy Hapgood
01-15-2014, 09:13 PM
Why not make a reducer collar and use it for both?