PDA

View Full Version : The joys of being a stick burner.

Waterboy12
01-15-2014, 08:49 AM
This is just to give the guys looking to buy a stickburner what is involved. If you plan on processing your own wood this will apply to you. It gives a brief view in what I have to do to have enough wood for a year for my hog cooker and my Lang.

About twice a month through October-April I cut, split and stack my wood. Usually do about 3 cords a year. I love stick burning and prefer it to any other method.

Here you can see my Stihl, my 30ton splitter and the pile of hickory that on deck today. It's a labor of love!
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss169/nasty01cummims/E7C87A9F-6756-4020-96F0-E087414AD434_zpsmo5s3lgy.jpg (http://s572.photobucket.com/user/nasty01cummims/media/E7C87A9F-6756-4020-96F0-E087414AD434_zpsmo5s3lgy.jpg.html)

HankB
01-15-2014, 08:52 AM
I enjoy doing stuff like that but my needs are for far far less than 3 cords! I do collect my own wood though.

Is that someone in the background who wants to help?

sliding_billy
01-15-2014, 08:56 AM
I wish I still had the ability to process my own wood, but moving from rural PA (with acreage and a near endless supply of wood) to a subdivision in North Texas has forced me to start buying cut splits by the 1/4 and keep them on a 4 foot rack. At least I am still able to use a stick burner. That is the important part. Even at my best, I have never needed 3 cords a year. I have always been between 1-2 depending...

Waterboy12
01-15-2014, 11:16 AM
We'll y'all have to understand that when we fire up the hog cooker, we heat with coals. So we preburn our wood and shovel in coals and it takes a lot of wood to run a 30x60 cooker for 18-22hrs that's made out of reasonable thin steel. That's wear the majority of that 3 cords goes.

Waterboy12
01-15-2014, 11:19 AM
I enjoy doing stuff like that but my needs are for far far less than 3 cords! I do collect my own wood though.

Is that someone in the background who wants to help?

Yep that's Daisy the Blood Hound.
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss169/nasty01cummims/BB6C6654-D1E3-4B84-8BF3-CF0D6C61CAA9_zpswxzhpmrs.jpg (http://s572.photobucket.com/user/nasty01cummims/media/BB6C6654-D1E3-4B84-8BF3-CF0D6C61CAA9_zpswxzhpmrs.jpg.html)

Smokin' D
01-15-2014, 11:26 AM
Yep, that Hickory is HEAVY! Yesterday I was splitting some 18" rounds with a 27 ton splitter. Cherry is next.

My hound mix was sleeping on the couch the whole time.

Blythewood BBQ'er
01-15-2014, 11:34 AM
This is how I spent my morning.. all post oak. The second pick is all hickory, red oak, and tomarrows post oak. You can see my log splitter in the second pick bottom right

ButtBurner
01-15-2014, 11:36 AM
something about hounds and stickburners ;)

Blythewood BBQ'er
01-15-2014, 11:39 AM
And german shepherds

sliding_billy
01-15-2014, 11:46 AM
Should I put a picture of my cat in here? :lol:

veryolddog
01-15-2014, 11:53 AM
I really enjoy using my stick burner very much. I have a small unit and it gets used, at least, twice a month weather permitting. I just completed some country style ribs last Saturday.

I do not have the wood issue to contend with as I use wood purchased in a bag for $9.95 from a local grocery store that is 1.5 cubic feet. I choose between oak, pecan, hickory and mesquite and I do not have storage issues. On my ranch in New Mexico, I just pick up mesquite which is quite plentiful.

For someone contemplating the purchase of a stick burner and getting into it in the near future, I have produced an instructional video on what it takes to use a stick burner which is posted on YouTube. This video is not a video for an experienced stick burner user. http://youtu.be/1U6_gpg8ry0

May all your cooks be happy ones.

Ed

oldbill
01-15-2014, 12:03 PM
This is how I spent my morning.. all post oak. The second pick is all hickory, red oak, and tomarrows post oak. You can see my log splitter in the second pick bottom right Man! The beauty of all that wood piled up is second only to photos of scantily clad women! In fact,... give me a few more years and the wood will probably look even better than scantily clad women! LOL!:wink:

Blythewood BBQ'er
01-15-2014, 12:06 PM
It wore me out like one

oldbill
01-15-2014, 12:13 PM
It wore me out like oneYes sir! I don't believe I've ever done any harder work in my life than cutting, splitting and stacking wood! It sure is rewarding when you're done though, especially when you get to burn some of it!:clap2:

Waterboy12
01-15-2014, 02:16 PM
We'll I finally finished up. Got about 3/4-1 cord out of that load. There also about another 12' of pallets that I've got hickory and pecan on. 60/40. Only took 6 hours. Now for a cold adult beverage!

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss169/nasty01cummims/BE0F944E-0B70-47D5-A984-0D2866CE46AD_zpssrntqog6.jpg (http://s572.photobucket.com/user/nasty01cummims/media/BE0F944E-0B70-47D5-A984-0D2866CE46AD_zpssrntqog6.jpg.html)

Blythewood BBQ'er
01-15-2014, 02:22 PM
I agree brother!

mikemci
01-15-2014, 02:25 PM
For someone contemplating the purchase of a stick burner and getting into it in the near future, I have produced an instructional video on what it takes to use a stick burner which is posted on YouTube. This video is not a video for an experienced stick burner user. http://youtu.be/1U6_gpg8ry0

Ed[/QUOTE]

Enjoyed the video Ed. Thanks for sharing.

Bigr314
01-15-2014, 02:39 PM
I just ordered a stick burner from SF.Can't wait to join in the fun.Thats what its all about.

Nutz4bbq
01-15-2014, 04:30 PM
Dude I got tried just looking at the photo...I need a adult beverage too:heh:

rdstoll
01-15-2014, 05:42 PM
I will be burning sticks starting in May for the first time. I have a source for wood in Wisconsin (lots of oak) but I'd have to cut it up myself and wait for it to season so I was thinking about buying some from guys selling on Craigslist. Good idea/bad idea? Things I should watch out for if I do go that route?

ButtBurner
01-15-2014, 05:49 PM
I will be burning sticks starting in May for the first time. I have a source for wood in Wisconsin (lots of oak) but I'd have to cut it up myself and wait for it to season so I was thinking about buying some from guys selling on Craigslist. Good idea/bad idea? Things I should watch out for if I do go that route?

I have developed a few good sources on CL over the years.

Blythewood BBQ'er
01-15-2014, 06:21 PM
Look for tree services on cl. Never trust anyone about the length of season. Check it yourself with the old wack test. Im gonnna buy a wood moisture meter. They are inexpensive and seem to be reliable.

Fwismoker
01-15-2014, 06:37 PM
If i had the space for wood i'd be burning in a Lang along with smokes with the UDS or one of the mini's right along with you.

I do have a potbelly stove smoker hooked up to a little smoke house i used for stick burning but i have to get it re piped. Smoke flavor from a stick burner is incredibly good with out a doubt...kind of miss it. Smoking over a live fire in the drum is special too but i do miss sticks.

GoolsbyMD
01-15-2014, 07:12 PM
I to am about to start burning sticks here in March. So far I have split about a face cord of hickory and two wheel barrels full of pear thats about wrist size in diameter. And scored some silver or sugar maple. All for free due to a really bad storm that rolled through the area and knocked down a bunch of trees. I looked on CL and saw people were advertising free firewood due to the storm. And a lot of free wood out there. Just needed to be cut to size and split.

nucornhusker
01-15-2014, 07:50 PM
I really miss stickburning and I can't wait until I get another one. It sure confuses people when I tell them, but I love splitting wood before I cook. It's just a part of the ritual before I cook. And much as I enjoy my pellet pit for its ease and great results, I sure do miss splitting wood and tending a fire....seriously.

Fwismoker
01-15-2014, 07:54 PM
I really miss stickburning and I can't wait until I get another one. It sure confuses people when I tell them, but I love splitting wood before I cook. It's just a part of the ritual before I cook. And much as I enjoy my pellet pit for its ease and great results, I sure do miss splitting wood and tending a fire....seriously. I enjoy at least splitting my wood for chunks. Nothing better knowing i'm cutting and splitting my own smoking wood imo...love it love it love it

Offthehook
01-15-2014, 10:32 PM
My idea of burning sticks is apple wood chunks, looks like fun tho

Basted moral support guy
01-15-2014, 10:54 PM
Sometimes I miss the satisfaction of taking a tree down, cutting it, and splitting it.

Then I remember the poison ivy, the achy back, the time (which could be spent on a couch with an adult beverage in hand), the loading of the wood, the unloading, the loading it again for a comp, and the wood mess everywhere, and I don't miss it as much.

It's a good feeling though. I always felt a little extra manly when I was playing lumberjack. Now the manliest thing I do is drink beer, and that's hardly constructive!

mikeleonard81
01-15-2014, 11:22 PM
I to am about to start burning sticks here in March. So far I have split about a face cord of hickory and two wheel barrels full of pear thats about wrist size in diameter. And scored some silver or sugar maple. All for free due to a really bad storm that rolled through the area and knocked down a bunch of trees. I looked on CL and saw people were advertising free firewood due to the storm. And a lot of free wood out there. Just needed to be cut to size and split.

Goolsby, If you have the leaves or remember what they looked like you can tell the difference in the maples. If the leave makes a V shape it's a silVVVer maple. If it makes a U shape it's a sUUUgar maple. Hope this helps. I get most of my wood from clist. I got a 18 in black cherry last month for free!

MDG3
01-17-2014, 12:01 AM
I really enjoy using my stick burner very much. I have a small unit and it gets used, at least, twice a month weather permitting. I just completed some country style ribs last Saturday.

I do not have the wood issue to contend with as I use wood purchased in a bag for $9.95 from a local grocery store that is 1.5 cubic feet. I choose between oak, pecan, hickory and mesquite and I do not have storage issues. On my ranch in New Mexico, I just pick up mesquite which is quite plentiful.

Ed

Good job on the video Ed! :-D:clap2::clap2:

Diesel Dave
01-17-2014, 06:48 AM
I love stick burning, I also heat the house with wood so when I'm out cutting I have plenty to choose from.
I burn Cherry only for my cooks and everything else for the house.
I usually go through about 14 cords between the house and cooking each year.
Have to split wood for the cooker, but can toss in a 24" round by 42" long into the boiler..........if I can lift it up :laugh:

NeoTrout
01-17-2014, 11:32 AM

I never bought wood off CL. You just never know what your getting. I get mine from Firewood Unlimited. They deliver or you can go and pick up in Elgin.
http://www.suregreenlandscape.com/Firewood.html
Check it out. It may work for you.

spider22
01-17-2014, 12:09 PM
We'll I finally finished up. Got about 3/4-1 cord out of that load. There also about another 12' of pallets that I've got hickory and pecan on. 60/40. Only took 6 hours. Now for a cold adult beverage!

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss169/nasty01cummims/BE0F944E-0B70-47D5-A984-0D2866CE46AD_zpssrntqog6.jpg (http://s572.photobucket.com/user/nasty01cummims/media/BE0F944E-0B70-47D5-A984-0D2866CE46AD_zpssrntqog6.jpg.html)

Just one adult beverage.

You would get it done a lot faster if you took the Stihl out of the case????

bbqwilly
01-22-2014, 08:59 PM
There is nothing like cooking with wood. I have always enjoyed cutting and splitting firewood, it reminds me of my papaw. I love cooking with coals and using my UDS, but for me there is a certain amount of pride I have in cooking with wood only.
I sold my baby in November and miss her like crazy. TQ will have me rolling again in about a month. I cant wait.

Trailer Trash
02-15-2014, 09:40 PM
Wow, Great job! I think that's called, "A work of Love". Something to be proud of for sure taking your cooking from womb to tomb!

gtr
02-15-2014, 09:47 PM
I don't mind splitting wood at all. I need all the exercise I can get! Loving the wood pron!...wait...let me rephrase that....

big brother smoke
02-15-2014, 09:58 PM
Just stack some fresh coastal oak this morning. Back is hating me right now :drama:

gtr
02-15-2014, 09:59 PM
^^^Got a good source? :hungry: