PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the latch on a BWS

Ackman
01-14-2014, 11:18 AM
I have BWS and I have to slam the door 3-4 times to get it to latch properly -- any advice on how to adjust it? My mechanical aptitude is next to none. I posted this question on the BWS forum and did not get a single response.

thanks

Scott R
01-14-2014, 12:13 PM
I Have a new BWS Party and the Door needs to be slammed shut to close. In My case the gaskets are new and seal very tight. My retailer said this would be an issue till the gaskets break in. It is important that the doors shut very tight, or the heat leaks and scorches the front of the smoker.

Smokesignalsfromtx
01-14-2014, 01:12 PM
^^^^^^^^^^what he said!

Lol, soon you'll be wondering if it is sealing properly cuz it's closing easier.....

DownHomeQue
01-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Send it to me.. i will use it and break it in properly for you.. and send it back after about 5 years.. PM the address! :-P

Ackman
01-14-2014, 01:52 PM
Unfortunately that is not the issue. It is a year and a half old and this is a relatively new problem

kds9547
01-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Call them. Backwoods I mean.

DownHomeQue
01-14-2014, 02:40 PM
yea if its been over a year.. sound like something is out of whack..

rtboswell
01-14-2014, 04:23 PM
I am fairly certain it is normal to have to adjust the door from time to time. Try loosening up the two screws on the slam latch (the part that is on the smoker main body) little by little and pulling out the thick metal latch in very small increments until it the door closes more easily.

You may have to play with it a bit to get it loose enough to close better but still not allow smoke and heat out of the door. I've had my BWS Fatboy about seven months and I've adjusted it twice to keep the seal tight and the door closing properly.

Ackman
01-15-2014, 06:40 AM
I am fairly certain it is normal to have to adjust the door from time to time. Try loosening up the two screws on the slam latch (the part that is on the smoker main body) little by little and pulling out the thick metal latch in very small increments until it the door closes more easily.

You may have to play with it a bit to get it loose enough to close better but still not allow smoke and heat out of the door. I've had my BWS Fatboy about seven months and I've adjusted it twice to keep the seal tight and the door closing properly.

Thanks...that is exactly what I was looking for...will give it a try this evening

Untraceable
01-15-2014, 06:59 AM
Do not loosen the latch, there is an adjustment you can make. Look closer and you'll see it

Ackman
01-15-2014, 07:21 AM
Do not loosen the latch, there is an adjustment you can make. Look closer and you'll see it

Can you give me a hint what I am looking for...as I think I mentioned, my mechanical aptitude gets maxed out beyond changing a light bulb.

Jason TQ
01-15-2014, 07:47 AM
Can you give me a hint what I am looking for...as I think I mentioned, my mechanical aptitude gets maxed out beyond changing a light bulb.

So I'm not the only one?? That is exactly how I feel :becky:. Even light bulbs scare me.

I'm reading along here as I'm about to start tweaking my latch on my party as it isn't slamming shut as well. I hope you get some more detail :grin:.

kds9547
01-15-2014, 08:52 AM
It's not actually the pull latch you adjust it is the "keeper" attached to the smoker body. It has little grooves for adjustment. Look closer and you will see them. Loosen the screws (one on the outside and one on the inside you have to look to see) and make a SMALL adjustment in or out. Poor pictures, but you can see the inside screw and the grooves pretty good in the third pic below.

katman
01-15-2014, 10:01 AM
You may have done this already but I was having a problem and found one of the screws was a little loose (I think the one in pic two above). Tightenend it up and works fine.

rtboswell
01-15-2014, 10:34 AM
It's not actually the pull latch you adjust it is the "keeper" attached to the smoker body. It has little grooves for adjustment. Look closer and you will see them. Loosen the screws (one on the outside and one on the inside you have to look to see) and make a SMALL adjustment in or out. Poor pictures, but you can see the inside screw and the grooves pretty good in the third pic below.

That is the exact adjustment I lazily described without photos. I had to tighten mine in the beginning because a little smoke was seeping out and then had to loosen it a bit more recently.