PDA

View Full Version : Idea/Diagram: Cold Smoker that sits on top of Pellet Smoker

bbqgeekess
01-13-2014, 02:22 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/2uyp1xc.jpg

Perhaps the smoke would cool down enough to smoke cheese up top. Should get a nice blue smoke I'd think at 150F (not sure though as I've only had this pellet smoker setup for a day--new to them).

EDIT: I'll add vents all around the bottom edges of the box as well to help keep things cooler, drawing in cool air.

ButtBurner
01-13-2014, 02:26 PM
I would not go through all of that

just take a kitchen strainer, push up the middle of it so the inside is shaped like a doughnut.

Put smoking pellets in the strainer in the shape of the doughnut

light it and stick it inside your smoker along with your cheese

with your idea the cheese may get too hot and melt all over the top of your smoker lid

bbqgeekess
01-13-2014, 02:31 PM
I would not go through all of that

just take a kitchen strainer, push up the middle of it so the inside is shaped like a doughnut.

Put smoking pellets in the strainer in the shape of the doughnut

light it and stick it inside your smoker along with your cheese

with your idea the cheese may get too hot and melt all over the top of your smoker lid

I always get nasty bitter white smoke when I try to use pellets alone in a setup similar to yours. If you burn pellets a bit hotter there will be a blue smoke instead. I want to burn it hot enough to produce a vivid disney land looking blue smoke and run it long enough away from the source to cool down to around 90F or so for smoking cheese.

ckelly
01-13-2014, 02:36 PM
Placing the cold smoke chamber directly above the main pellet smoker unit would draw too much heat.

Maybe you could incorporate an ice tray to deflect some of that heat?

bbqgeekess
01-13-2014, 02:50 PM
Placing the cold smoke chamber directly above the main pellet smoker unit would draw too much heat.

Maybe you could incorporate an ice tray to deflect some of that heat?

Hrm that is an idea. I will also add vents all around the bottom edges of the box to help draw in cool air as well.

The_Kapn
01-13-2014, 03:11 PM
You would really need to set the chamber off of the pit to the side.

It will pick up WAY to much heat for cold smoking sitting on top.

Good Luck.

TIM

mwmac
01-13-2014, 03:21 PM
For cold smoking I picked up a top-loading Big Chief smoker off craigslist cheap. Remove lid, add a chopstick across each corner, place loaded rack carefully on top of chopsticks, cut hole in bottom of cardboard box, place inverted box over food rack, boom, done.

Big George's BBQ
01-13-2014, 03:25 PM
Check ouit the Pro Q Cold Smoke Generator It is easy no heat and you can stick it inside your smoker I do with my Large BGE It is also relatively cheap

ButtBurner
01-13-2014, 03:51 PM
I always get nasty bitter white smoke when I try to use pellets alone in a setup similar to yours. If you burn pellets a bit hotter there will be a blue smoke instead. I want to burn it hot enough to produce a vivid disney land looking blue smoke and run it long enough away from the source to cool down to around 90F or so for smoking cheese.

I have not had that experience using a strainer

another method is do a search for a mailbox cheese smoker

YetiDave
01-13-2014, 04:11 PM
A big +1 for the Pro Q cold smoke generator. I've had one for a couple of years and it's only ever gone out on me once