PDA

View Full Version : How To Completely Clean BBQ / Smoker / Sunburned Down To Metal

SigSauerNY
01-11-2014, 05:36 PM
I'm not looking to freshen up or make it nice I need to clean everything off a old cooker including the seasoning and any grease or buildup possible.

What product is powerfull enough yet safe on a food contact surface.

I will be using a power washer and have a weed burner

Goal is to spray with product, let sit, scrub or brush if needed, and spray out heavily then wash with mild detergent and wash again and again. Finished with high heat burn, steam and season.

mrbill
01-11-2014, 06:38 PM
oven cleaner

Fwismoker
01-11-2014, 06:46 PM
Weed burner

Bbq Bubba
01-11-2014, 06:52 PM
Im sure theres some miracle product but nothing beats heat and steam.

bearohs
01-11-2014, 06:57 PM
I used grease lighting.. good solvent.
Removal of grease is all about surface tension.. Best to get a good solvent, a terpene based one (those that smell like citrus or pine) are usually the best for the buck.
Many industrial cleaners are these with stronger percentages of terpene.

A good scrub with it, and washing out, redo, and then done. Get the grill super hot to cook out anything else and ride out.

SigSauerNY
01-11-2014, 07:10 PM
Is grease lightning something I can find at a supermarket or home depot / Wal-Mart?

Not very familiar with where to find cleaner products, I can probably get a commercial decreased faster but those seem almost caustic and dont wanna eat the pit away.

Oven cleaner I have just looking for something to eliminate some elbow grease I find that oven cleaner still needs heavy scrubbing and a couple coats.

Thanks

Smokin'Butts
01-11-2014, 08:29 PM
Simple Green...Good stuff

http://www.simplegreen.com/products_pwc_hd.php

Smokin'Butts
01-11-2014, 08:30 PM
Walmart carries simple green products I know

DjPorkchop
01-11-2014, 09:23 PM
Simple Green...Good stuff

http://www.simplegreen.com/products_pwc_hd.php

That is what I used in my UDS and gasser and it works great.