PDA

View Full Version : kettle ( smoker ) fried chicken. ok to rub with mayo ?

floydo
01-10-2014, 10:26 AM
interesting discussion in aawa's post on "kettle wings" last November.
Skin vs. skinless, etc.

wife makes some baked skinless thighs which she rubs with mayo
before breading ( with seasoned crumbs). tasty...and easy when it's 10 below outside.

wondering how you think the mayo would work on the smoker ...........................and might temp be factor ?

thinking of trying the "kettle fried" .......along with some regular wings, thighs or whatever to taste and compare.

any thoughts on the mayo or other ideas for a chicken " sampler" ?

thanks

floydo

Bludawg
01-10-2014, 10:32 AM
I use it on my BBQ & roasted chicken makes for a self basting bird with a golden brown skin in the oven and I mix my rub in it on the pit to get a tender bite thruogh skin never tried it as a binder for breading.

aawa
01-10-2014, 10:37 AM
interesting discussion in aawa's post on "kettle wings" last November.
Skin vs. skinless, etc.

wife makes some baked skinless thighs which she rubs with mayo
before breading ( with seasoned crumbs). tasty...and easy when it's 10 below outside.

wondering how you think the mayo would work on the smoker ...........................and might temp be factor ?

thinking of trying the "kettle fried" .......along with some regular wings, thighs or whatever to taste and compare.

any thoughts on the mayo or other ideas for a chicken " sampler" ?

thanks

floydo

My thoughts on my first attempt at kettle fried chicken was that it needed some sort of fat to help the breading to "stick" to the chicken better as well as crisp up better. I contemplated using softened butter, canola oil, or mayo to moisten the chicken and breading.

I have found that Mayo doesn't really impart that big of a flavor onto meats that you put into the smoker/kettle. I am leaning towards that for my next attempt at kettle fried chicken .

If you give it a go, please let us know how it turns out. I am very interested to hear your findings on it.

CharredApron
01-10-2014, 01:27 PM
check out caseydogs thread he used mayo, I think

floydo
01-10-2014, 01:33 PM
If you give it a go, please let us know how it turns out. I am very interested to hear your findings on it.

thanks guys

will do

meanwhile....here's a grilled skinless with mayo to
think about.

http://grillinfools.com/blog/2010/08/25/mayo-magic-chicken-breasts/

so, when on the grille, maybe i'll try mayo chicken with the skin on ( a la bludawg ) and without. Wife will probably go for the skinless.

thanks again

floydo

floydo
01-10-2014, 01:34 PM
check out caseydogs thread he used mayo, I think

thanks

will check it out