PDA

View Full Version : Smoker's-Decisions/Decisions

Asunshine
01-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Been using a Large Green Egg and am ready to upgrade to a new smoker. Been looking at Lang, Stump, Superior, Meadow Creek and Backwoods. I intend to use this smoker at home and to due some entertaining. It will be in a permanent location and not for travel. If you had it to do all over again, which kind of smoker would you purchase?

dwfisk
01-09-2014, 06:49 PM
You have a list of great cookers there, but you owe it to yourself to add this to the mix:
http://www.shirleyfabrication.com/

IamMadMan
01-09-2014, 06:55 PM
If you are looking at backwoods, then take a look at Humphrey's Smokers as well..

http://www.humphreysbbq.squarespace.com/smokers

SmittyJonz
01-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Do you want to babysit it and add a split every hour or do you wanna be able to leave for. 4-6 hrs during a cook?
That's the FIRST Question to answer then there's only about a a Dozen more decisions AFTER that.

Me? I want a Backwoods Party Extended or G2 . :mrgreen:

sliding_billy
01-09-2014, 07:14 PM
Your list has both low maintenance and high maintenance cookers, so I think that is the part that you will have to decide before at manufacturer preference. You are also talking about going from an Egg to possibly a stick burner. That is a drastic shift. We haven't even got into traditional offset vs. reverse flow.

That being said, I'm a stick burner guy so... Being in GA helps if you go the Lang route.

GoolsbyMD
01-09-2014, 07:20 PM
I have a stumps and can tell you, that thing is a tank! Very solid and can hold temps very easly. It is the smallest model but I have seen a few stretchs and they are just bigger but same quality. I sent out money yesterday to purchase a bigger cooker, a stick burner. I was 90% sold on a lang i called them talked to a sales lady and was about to place my my order but I took another day and looked around more. I called sShurley Fabrication and talked to Paul the actual owner/fabricator and the customer service hands down was 100% better. That to me speaks volumes when I cannot see the product before purchasing. There a log of threads on here recently about Shirley Fabrication and thats for a reason. Check them out you can get a lot more for your money from them than Lang. Really depends if you want a set and forget or sit around and throw sticks at it.

Firefighter
01-09-2014, 07:45 PM
Your list has both low maintenance and high maintenance cookers, so I think that is the part that you will have to decide before at manufacturer preference. You are also talking about going from an Egg to possibly a stick burner. That is a drastic shift. We haven't even got into traditional offset vs. reverse flow.

That being said, I'm a stick burner guy so... Being in GA helps if you go the Lang route.

^^^^^ +1
Sliding_billy is right on the money! You have got a lot to think about and decide. If you choose to go with a gravity fed like stumps Check out Assassin smokers also. They are built like a tank I just got mine in November and couldn't be happier. You get a lot of bang for the buck with the assassin. It's an awesome smoker and their customer service is outstanding. They are also in Georgia as well. Good luck brother!

HBMTN
01-09-2014, 07:49 PM
I'd keep the large and add a big brother XL to the fleet :thumb:

ATLSean
01-09-2014, 07:56 PM
I bought a Backwoods Party G2 back in August from the dealer in Gainesville, GA, Andy Bangs. I don't do comps, I've got it on my back deck. I love being able to fire it up in the morning, mow the lawn, take a nap, and go back and check it at 3pm and be within +/- 10 degrees of where I locked it in. The Q is excellent! I've cooked for as many as 30 with room to spare. You've got a lot of choices to look at, and I don't think you can go wrong with any of those based on what I've read on here about all of them. Just figured I'd give you my experience. Good luck and have fun figuring it out!

Drake
01-09-2014, 08:57 PM
As mentioned you've got a wide variety of smokers. I think if you narrow the list to what kind of cooking you want to do it would help out a lot. Do you plan on keeping the egg? Ill add to the list that recommends Shirley Fabrication for the stick burner category. The egg could be your set it and forget it category and then you could get a stick burner as well.

SmittyJonz
01-10-2014, 10:26 AM
http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/CD544299-FEED-4DBA-9E9A-9A91F4FC7EF8_zpsrb0vqbvv.jpg (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/CD544299-FEED-4DBA-9E9A-9A91F4FC7EF8_zpsrb0vqbvv.jpg.html)

DaveAlvarado
01-10-2014, 10:38 AM
From the research I've done, if you want your new smoker to cook like your egg, you probably want to look into gravity fed. They won't be as fuel efficient as your egg, but at least you can just keep the chute topped off without having to deal with dumping ashes or anything.

That said, the best solution if you know your egg is "more egg". For the money you'd spend on a Stumps or Backwoods, you could get two or three more large eggs. They'd look good built into a big outdoor kitchen island.

Firefighter
01-10-2014, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=DaveAlvarado;2760183]From the research I've done, if you want your new smoker to cook like your egg, you probably want to look into gravity fed. They won't be as fuel efficient as your egg, but at least you can just keep the chute topped off without having to deal with dumping ashes or anything.

My Assassin gravity fed is pretty fuel efficient I did a 12hr cook on about a half chute full of charcoal. I was running the cooker at 250* and it was below zero F outside.

shagnasty
01-10-2014, 11:54 AM
You will find most people will tell you to get the cooker they have. You have to decide what your needs are and buy a cooker that suits you. All of these are good cookers but at the end of the day you have to decide what "style" cooking you wanna do. Set it and forget it...cabinet style. stick burn and stay up all night...offset. So just get the one I got and enjoy! LOL!

DaveAlvarado
01-10-2014, 12:11 PM
My Assassin gravity fed is pretty fuel efficient I did a 12hr cook on about a half chute full of charcoal. I was running the cooker at 250* and it was below zero F outside.
I'm always impressed by what insulated smokers will do. My poor WSM shivers when it's cold out, I need to buy it a jacket.

How much charcoal is half a chute? It doesn't get that cold here, but at around 25F I got about 12 hours at 250F out of about 15lbs of KC in my WSM, dry water pan. My understanding is that eggs are ridiculous though, like 24 hours on the bitty amount of lump they hold in their charcoal rings.

Smith's Pig Pen
01-10-2014, 12:17 PM
That's the key word "entertaining". You're going to do more work on the stick burner, but it sure is cool. With a vault smoker you don't have to work as much=more time to hang out with no worries.

jlane
01-10-2014, 12:52 PM
I have a BWS Chubby and a Yoder stick burner, both make great food, but your involvement in the cook are greatly different. I found that with the BWS I was sitting around the smoker watching it anyway, so I bought the stick burner to justify sitting around the smoker all day. Once you find out how involved you want to be, the decision will be much easier on you. Good luck on your search.

SmittyJonz
01-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Just don't get a Black one.

pigsmoke
01-10-2014, 01:14 PM
I'm in a similar predicament myself. I'm going to check out some BWS tomorrow; I've also looked into the Humphrey's as well.

Let me echo the sentiment that everyone has about what do you want to do with this thing? Are you wanting to tend a fire or periodically check up?

I know for me, I want to periodically check up on my cooker and enjoy the day, thus I am going to be buying a water cooker. I probably won't go so far as to put a guru on it as I still like to do some work for the food (and I kind of consider it cheating). My plans are competing, but if they weren't, I'd still want a similar type of unit. If I were keeping it one place, I'd probably just buy a bigger model that's more of a PITA to move.

Another thing to consider is budget - how much do you want to spend on this cooker? Then how much do you want to spend on fueling it and upkeeping it? How often are you going to use it? How many people are you cooking for regularly? Irregularly? Do you want this to be multi-purpose like your egg or single purpose?

katman
01-10-2014, 02:12 PM
You mentioned some entertaining so I am going to specualte that one of the drivers here is you want a little more capacity than you have on the egg. I've got a couple of eggs and have been happy with them for many years. But I wanted to try something else that would give me a good product, reasonably long unattended burn time, and more capacity. Added a backwoods extended party to the collection and enjoy the slide out shelves and space to do a vaiety of meats at the same time without crowding. It is a water smoker so it is designed for low temp cooks but you can leave the water out to cook at moderately higher temps. It does burn more fuel than an egg and you will have to refuel for long cooks. Also got a Weber smokey mountain to play with. I do like the cabinet style cookers. I once owned a very inefficient stick burner. I know there are some very good ones out there but I'd rather sleep than tend a fire all night.

BBQ_MAFIA
01-10-2014, 02:32 PM
I would look at a SPICEWINE before you make any final decisions.
For those times when we have guests or when I don't have time to tend the fire, my SPICEWINE turns out great product and allows me to cook for long periods of time without paying constant attention to the smoker.
A SPICEWINE MEDIUM is a great size cooker that is build like a tank and has tons of room. These cookers are heavy, but, as you wrote, it will be in a permeant place so it should not matter.

As some of the other have said you need to determine the involvement you want to have in the cook. If you want to feed the fire every half hour or so and stay up all night to cook the big cuts of meat a stick burner will work for you. You should consider that you may not want to, or be able to interact with your guests too much from the lack of sleep. In saying that, I love playing with my Langs and enjoy tending the fire on an occasional basis.
Give Jay a call at Spicewine Ironworks, you'll be glad you did.

Attached below are a few photo's of My Spicewine and Lang 84

Bigr314
01-10-2014, 03:05 PM
i am also looking to upgrade to a bigger smoker. I decided on a stick burner because i am old school,I like tending the fire and having a more hands on approach.I did a lot of looking around because I do not have extra money just hanging around. I called Paul today from Shirley Fabrication and had a great talk with him. For my budget, he going to build me one heck of a cooker. I hope to place my official order next week. You should seriously check him out and give him a call he is a joy to talk http://www.shirleyfabrication.com. He is a Brethren also.His name on the forum is TuscaloosaQ. I do not have any ties to his business,just met him today on the phone.Just sharing my opinion.

Bigdog
01-10-2014, 04:47 PM
Given where you live, I would think hard about getting a Lang. :thumb:

Nutz4bbq
01-10-2014, 05:11 PM
Check out this cook I just did for the office... http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r675/Nutz4bbq/KensCook_zpse412b314.jpg?t=1389388877

Cooked for 75 on a Lang 60 deluxe...Forget the rest and get yourself a Lang... you won't regret it!!:heh:

bbqwilly
01-10-2014, 06:02 PM
Like many on here have already said, PM TuscaloosaQ. Paul is a stand up guy, honest and you will not find a better pit builder in the south. Plus his pits are cheaper than the competition.

Fwismoker
01-10-2014, 06:15 PM
I'm always impressed by what insulated smokers will do. My poor WSM shivers when it's cold out, I need to buy it a jacket.

How much charcoal is half a chute? It doesn't get that cold here, but at around 25F I got about 12 hours at 250F out of about 15lbs of KC in my WSM, dry water pan. My understanding is that eggs are ridiculous though, like 24 hours on the bitty amount of lump they hold in their charcoal rings.

No need for a fancy jacket...a simple reflectix sleeve does wonders.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/Amerivet/P1010800_zps2b4a033a.jpg (http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/Amerivet/media/P1010800_zps2b4a033a.jpg.html)

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/Amerivet/P1010708_zps59ba9eac.jpg (http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/Amerivet/media/P1010708_zps59ba9eac.jpg.html)

EverettBBQ
01-10-2014, 06:43 PM
You might want to look at the Rebel smokers.
I really like my Rebel 17:clap2: