PDA

View Full Version : Julian Date at Restaurant Depot

akoda
01-08-2014, 05:58 PM
I bought a brisket at RD before Christmas, the Julian date is 351, which I believe is Dec 17th. It has been refrigerated in a frig in my garage that doesn't get opened much, still in Cryovac. I am thinking I should be fine to do it this weekend jan 11th. Before I open it and smell it, I am thinking I should be ok. The label doesn't have the sell by date. I know many of you wet age, what do you think?

Jason TQ
01-08-2014, 06:13 PM
When you open it up your nose should tell you, but you should be totally fine. Guys wet age for 30+ days with no issue including myself.

buccaneer
01-08-2014, 06:20 PM
When you open it up your nose should tell you, but you should be totally fine. Guys wet age for 30+ days with no issue including myself.

Exactly!

sliding_billy
01-08-2014, 06:30 PM
Eat it!

Arristillius
01-08-2014, 06:50 PM
I just this last weekend smoked a 14 lb packer with a pack date of nov 9th I think that is what 38 days older than yours? I think you will be fine.

GoolsbyMD
01-08-2014, 07:24 PM
It is indeed dec 17 that being said i need your address to dispose of that rancid meat. Do not open it.

Ron_L
01-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Two things...

1. Sell by dates don't mean a thing. Every store has a different formula that they use to determine a sell by date.

2. The date on the label at Restaurant Depot is the date that the label was printed. It was no relationship to the pack date of the meat. On one visit I asked the meat department manager to open a case of briskets so I could pick out a couple. The case had a pack date of X, and when he weighed and put a price label on the briskets the date was that day.

Having typed all of that, you are probably fine with that brisket. I regularly wet age briskets for 45 days after the pack date.

Bigr314
01-09-2014, 03:13 AM
Yep. Enjoy your packer!

BigBellyBBQ
01-09-2014, 03:18 AM
I wet age a min of 24- 30 from kill dates..up to 60...The 60 day crumbles when sliced, however great flavor. The cryo vac will start to loosen aafter 2 or 3 weeks, when you see the little bubles is when I use or freeze..just rinse under water and cut the discoloration off..

akoda
01-09-2014, 07:35 AM
Thanks all, that's what I had guessed based on threads I have read here. I know how RD dates and that was my biggest concern knowing the date on the label was only the date it was labeled, kind of useless IMO. I expect this will probably be my best brisket ever and I will start holding regularly. I post some pr0n from my Sunday cook, going to pick up a couple of butts to go with it.

Jaskew82
01-09-2014, 08:50 AM
Like everyone else is saying... it's fine.

mikemci
01-09-2014, 08:53 AM
I bought a brisket at RD before Christmas, the Julian date is 351, which I believe is Dec 17th. It has been refrigerated in a frig in my garage that doesn't get opened much, still in Cryovac. I am thinking I should be fine to do it this weekend jan 11th. Before I open it and smell it, I am thinking I should be ok. The label doesn't have the sell by date. I know many of you wet age, what do you think?

What is Julian date and how do you convert it to a calendar date? First time I have heard of this.

Porcine Perfection
01-09-2014, 09:23 AM
What is Julian date and how do you convert it to a calendar date? First time I have heard of this.

Here you go.

Julian day refers to a continuous count of days since the beginning of the Julian Period used primarily by astronomers.
The Julian Day Number (JDN) is the integer assigned to a whole solar day in the Julian day count starting from noon Greenwich Mean Time, with Julian day number 0 assigned to the day starting at noon on 1 January 4713 BC proleptic Julian calendar (24 November 4714 BC, in the proleptic Gregorian calendar). For example, the Julian day number for 1 January 2000 was 2,451,545.[1]
The Julian Date (JD) of any instant is the Julian day number for the preceding noon plus the fraction of the day since that instant. Julian Dates are expressed as a Julian day number with a decimal fraction added.[2] For example, the Julian Date for 00:30:00.0 UT 1 January 2013 is 2456293.520833.[3]
The term "Julian date" may also refer, outside of astronomy, to the day-of-year number (more properly, the ordinal date) in the Gregorian calendar, especially in computer programming, the military and the food industry,[4]— or it may refer to dates in the Julian calendar. For example, if a given "Julian date" is "12 May 1629", this means that date in the Julian calendar (which is 22 May 1629 in Gregorian calendar— the date of the Treaty of Lübeck). Outside of an astronomical or historical context, if a given "Julian date" is "40", this most likely means the fortieth day of a given Gregorian year, namely 9 February. But the potential for mistaking a "Julian date" of "40" to mean an astronomical Julian Day Number (or even to mean the year 40 ad in the Julian calendar, or even to mean a duration of 40 astronomical Julian years) is justification for preferring the terms "ordinal date" or "day-of-year" instead. In contexts where a "Julian date" means simply an ordinal date, calendars of a Gregorian year with formatting for ordinal dates are often called "Julian calendars",[4] in spite of the potential for misinterpreting this as meaning that the calendars are of years in the Julian calendar system.
The Julian Period is a chronological interval of 7980 years beginning 4713 BC. It has been used by historians since its introduction in 1583 to convert between different calendars. 2014 is year 6727 of the current Julian Period. The next Julian Period begins in the year 3268 AD.

akoda
01-09-2014, 09:40 AM
I used this http://landweb.nascom.nasa.gov/browse/calendar.html but there are converters online, my Julian date was 351 which equals 17 December. Crazy way to do it IMO

Here is the label

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-UUrWZ1wBYuc/Us7EvwK5ZXI/AAAAAAAACx4/jerkIAQ413M/w958-h719-no/IMG_0645.JPG

ButtBurner
01-09-2014, 09:58 AM
interesting

my RD uses normal calandar dates

Jason TQ
01-09-2014, 11:41 AM
interesting

my RD uses normal calandar dates

I wonder why some might use regular dates. Mine uses the julian.

Dave M
01-09-2014, 11:52 AM
Looks like it could have been packed on Dec 16, 2012 as well. :wacko:

akoda
01-09-2014, 12:33 PM
I did assume the year, going for the WELL aged brisket:sick:

Looks like it could have been packed on Dec 16, 2012 as well. :wacko: