PDA

View Full Version : Quick Bacon Question

HarleyDiva
01-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Just picked up a 12+ pound pork belly. I'm going to cut it into 3 pieces, and use 3 different cures. Here is my question.....I'm going to use the FoodSaver to package the belly for dry curing. Should I go ahead and take all the air out, or should I leave space for the liquid?

Shagdog
01-08-2014, 05:23 PM
Leave some room. I will usually suck a little air out and then stop it and let it seal.. Keeps your sealer cleaner. Keep an eye on your bags during the cure. I've had them leak anyways...

MS2SB
01-08-2014, 07:04 PM
I like to wrap mine in plastic wrap before sealing and I seal as tight as it'll go. Keeps the foodsaver cleaner.

YetiDave
01-08-2014, 07:09 PM
No need to leave room - the volume of material in the bag won't change, rather the meat will shrink as water seeps out

IamMadMan
01-08-2014, 08:05 PM
No need to leave room - the volume of material in the bag won't change, rather the meat will shrink as water seeps out

^ +1 I also remove all air.....

Shagdog
01-08-2014, 08:36 PM
^ +1 I also remove all air.....

How do you keep the sealer clean? The only reason I don't seal it tight is I always end up making a mess of the sealer if I do.. I may be over paranoid about it though.. Or maybe I'm trying to hard to completely fill the bags with belly... I trim them pretty tight to the bags.