PDA

View Full Version : to cold to work, think I'll try bludawg's brisket recipe

smoke ninja
01-07-2014, 09:09 AM
Temps are negative 11. I don't want to think about what the wind chill is. Gonna try bludawg brisket recipe. Picking up a 6 pound angus packer now (my Butcher always keeps a few on hand, I like to think they're just for me.). Gonna rub with a tri level rub, salt and black pepper will be the stars. Cooking at 300 in the wsm (no water in pan today) for about 4 hours. I use small briskets so it maybe a little less. Then wrap in butchers paper, back on smoker for an hour. Check for tenderness, if not done put back on for an hour. Once tender rest still wrapped until IT is 150. Eat and enjoy.

Sound about right?

Jaskew82
01-07-2014, 09:13 AM
Internal temp of 150 is not going to result with a tender brisket. I strongly recommend bringing it up to at least 190 or 195. In reality, you need to ignore temps and go by feel. When you insert a probe into the thickest part of the flat, it should go in like butter.

Also, 6lb packer seems tiny, not sure you can even get a packer at 6lbs.

QDoc
01-07-2014, 09:19 AM
Internal temp of 150 is not going to result with a tender brisket. I strongly recommend bringing it up to at least 190 or 195. In reality, you need to ignore temps and go by feel. When you insert a probe into the thickest part of the flat, it should go in like butter.

Also, 6lb packer seems tiny, not sure you can even get a packer at 6lbs.
150 is after the rest.

smoke ninja
01-07-2014, 09:20 AM
The recipe calls for cooking til probe tender. Leave wrapped out of cooker until it is cooled. My Butcher always keeps 5_7 pound Packers on hand. I don't know if he trims them down or if they come from mini cows. I'll post a pick soon

sliding_billy
01-07-2014, 09:21 AM
6 pound (or smaller) packer?

Diesel Dave
01-07-2014, 09:51 AM
That is way small for a packer. But we'll wait on the pic to decide :heh:

everything else sounds like a good plan

Bludawg
01-07-2014, 10:25 AM
You got this :pop2:

Fwismoker
01-07-2014, 10:32 AM
popcorn standing by.

bander7003
01-07-2014, 11:29 AM
I would love a 6-7# packer. The smallest I ever find is typically 11-12#s. Really, all I need is the point off of the packer. But I've never found just the point for sale.

Arristillius
01-07-2014, 11:51 AM
I would love a 6-7# packer. The smallest I ever find is typically 11-12#s. Really, all I need is the point off of the packer. But I've never found just the point for sale.

I have wondered about that as well, does anyone know what happens to the points? Costco in my area sells 6-8 lb Flats but none of them have points, what do they do with all the points?

GoolsbyMD
01-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Guess I live in the twilight zone, Harris Teeter here sells nothing but the point for about $2-2.50/lbs no whole packers and the flats are like $3.50/lbs. I have about 5 points in the freezer i always forget about since i normally do packers from the butchers.

sliding_billy
01-07-2014, 11:59 AM
They don't always have them, but some of the Kroger locations near me sell points.

pigsmoke
01-07-2014, 12:04 PM
Guess I live in the twilight zone, Harris Teeter here sells nothing but the point for about $2-2.50/lbs no whole packers and the flats are like $3.50/lbs. I have about 5 points in the freezer i always forget about since i normally do packers from the butchers.

Must be a VA thing, I mostly see points in regular grocery stores around here, then flats in Costco.

smoke ninja
01-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Asked the Butcher about the small size of the briskets. He said "that's a brisket". I said "thought they were bigger". He replied "they are trimmed". I decided not to push him and just enjoy briskets that fit easily in my 18 wsm.

Here it is, just over 5 pound. They are pre trimmed. Normal price is 3.99 lbs but the counter girl wrote it up wrong

smoke ninja
01-07-2014, 12:33 PM
You got this :pop2:

I feel the pressure now, cooking your process, while your watching. Hope I do it justice.

Is there an indicator for wrap time or do you just wrap after four hours. As stated I cook mini briskets.

castlepines
01-07-2014, 12:41 PM

I have wondered about that as well, does anyone know what happens to the points? Costco in my area sells 6-8 lb Flats but none of them have points, what do they do with all the points?

Pretty sure they sell them as a package deal with doughnut holes.

Arristillius
01-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Pretty sure they sell them as a package deal with doughnut holes.

I would so buy a box of donut holes and brisket points. something to munch on while smoking the points.

Arristillius
01-07-2014, 12:57 PM
I feel the pressure now, cooking your process, while your watching. Hope I do it justice.

Is there an indicator for wrap time or do you just wrap after four hours. As stated I cook mini briskets.

I don't know what the official response is but for me 4 hours at 300ish is where the brisket hits a stall and the bark looks good, if I were you I would cook till either 4 hours or it has hit a stall and the bark looks good, and that might happen quicker, generally the stall is 168-178 degrees for me each brisket being different but most stall out around there.

I did a 14 lb packer sunday at it was stalled at 170 and sizzling with a perfect looking bark at exactly 4 hours, and it was probe tender 1.5 hours after wrapping.

smoke ninja
01-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Not much to trim, 3.99 is high even for choice angus. I wonder what the 5 lbs brisket weighed before trimming and what that would have costed elsewhere. Tri level rub the last layer was coarse salt pepper and lemon.

I filled my base with kingford, light up a 2/3 a chimney. I like to wait until the coals are blazing then add them to the base. I put two healthy handfuls of chips at 3 &9. Let that blaze until chips blacken and assemble the cooker.

No I don't think this is cheating.

I put the brisket on at high noon. Temp outside was 10 below. Temp in the smoker was 300.

JONESY
01-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Does the packaging say it's corned?

smoke ninja
01-07-2014, 01:57 PM
Here it is, just over 5 pound. They are pre trimmed. Normal price is 3.99 lbs but the counter girl wrote it up wrong

Like I said she put the wrong sticker on it. The pics say enough. I know a packer when I see one......er..that didn't come out right.

smoke ninja
01-07-2014, 04:15 PM
Wrapped in Butcher paper about four hrs in. Already probed more tender than the last brisket.
Looks a like I'm on track. Might test after 30 or 40 min, because its a smaller brisket.

GrillsGoneWild
01-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Very impressed that you are keeping it at 300 on the WSM with the temp outside.

smoke ninja
01-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Me too, I think she'd hit 350. If I wanted. No water in pan just cover in foil.

buccaneer
01-07-2014, 04:52 PM
I see a lot of you Mercuns wishing you had a bigger brisket.
I feel you, dawgs, we can't all come packing a monster packer, but ask Bludawg and I'm sure he'd console you with the wise and constantly repeated lietueism, it isn't the size of the brisket but the way you probe it.
Knowing where the stall is in cooking a brisket is like knowing where the radio signals come from while you are boogeying in the kitchen wearing that tutu your niece left there last time she was over, and knowing it wouldn't be near as comfy if you had a monster packer.

smoke ninja
01-07-2014, 05:18 PM
My little packer is off and resting, still wrapped, as per the bludawg way. I accidentally hit the button on my probe and it read 200.

buccaneer
01-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Foil protection?
oxymoron.

smoke ninja
01-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Foil protection?
oxymoron.

Foil is covering the water pan. Paper covers the brisket.

buccaneer
01-07-2014, 05:26 PM
no.
That was a rubber joke.

smoke ninja
01-07-2014, 08:11 PM
The method is sound. Fool proof brisket. Very good

bbqwilly
01-07-2014, 08:16 PM
Looks like you nailed it from here.

Pitmaster T
01-07-2014, 08:27 PM
When I do a job and cook five or more cases of briskets I always get one of these stuck in. I will say this about the true small briskets like that in my experience.

Its always the one I watch and put in a special place in the pit and it also is the one I keep for myself. I may cut up 700 pounds of brisket real quick in an afternoon but that one goes home with me and I am never disappointed.

Yall remember that tip I gave yall a while back on how to tell what you have in a case by the weight right?

buccaneer
01-07-2014, 08:32 PM
No.

Tellzus!

sliding_billy
01-08-2014, 03:43 AM
Looks delicious.

Bludawg
01-08-2014, 10:22 AM
What can I say:thumb:

smoke ninja
01-08-2014, 10:43 AM
What can I say:thumb:

Just goes to show that if you stick to the plan, a proven recipe will work.

Thanks for sharing your technique. Now I can proceed with changing it til it stops working.

Wampus
01-08-2014, 11:13 AM
When I do a job and cook five or more cases of briskets I always get one of these stuck in. I will say this about the true small briskets like that in my experience.

Its always the one I watch and put in a special place in the pit and it also is the one I keep for myself. I may cut up 700 pounds of brisket real quick in an afternoon but that one goes home with me and I am never disappointed.

Yall remember that tip I gave yall a while back on how to tell what you have in a case by the weight right?

Do tell. I've not heard this tip. :ear:

smoke ninja
01-08-2014, 01:45 PM

Do you feel they in some ways better or just easier to cook to a consistent result?

MI Smoke
01-09-2014, 12:03 PM
Asked the Butcher about the small size of the briskets. He said "that's a brisket". I said "thought they were bigger". He replied "they are trimmed". I decided not to push him and just enjoy briskets that fit easily in my 18 wsm.

What meat market did you get that at?

smokeswirl
01-09-2014, 06:55 PM

Most points get ground up, unfortunately