PDA

View Full Version : Question on smoking 2.5 pound Saint Louis Ribs

SmokinginFlorida
01-06-2014, 10:23 AM
I have a package of Saint Louis Style ribs that are about 2.5 pounds. They don't seem overly thin but they weigh less than what I see on here. I am worried that 3-2-1 will be too long.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

El Ropo
01-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Cook them till they pass the bend test, poke test, or bone tug test. 3-2-1 is too long even for extra meaty spares IMO. I'd guess you could cook those up in a little over 3 hours unwrapped with a pit temp (at grate level) around 275-300.

Teltum
01-06-2014, 12:27 PM
I found even on decent thickness ribs the 3-2-1 method was a little long I personally find it a little closer to the 2.5-1:30-:45 method in my rig even then they are a little more fall off the bone than I would like. If I were to cut anything down a little more it is the first 2.5 I would cut down on.

I used the Trigg method over oak and cherry with variations in the pouch (real butter and franks red hot and buckwheat honey) instead of (Blue Bottle Parkay, Tiger Sauce and Clover Honey). The flavor was really really nice. But I don't know how the change in the ingredients will affect the cook time.

John Bowen
01-06-2014, 12:39 PM
I wrap by the color and formation of the bark which runs just past 2 hours for my big smoker (running cherry wood). After I wrap I start checking at 1.5 hours - with a toothpick and it has gone from 1.5 hours to 2 hours. I then set the bark then I sauce which has tended to run around 30 minutes.

I don't think I have ever really gone the actual 3-2-1.

Ron_L
01-06-2014, 02:22 PM
3-2-1 is a guideline developed for full spares at 225, not for St. Louis trimmed spares and not at any other temp.