PDA

View Full Version : New Year, New Drum....Ribs and ABTs

mcyork28
01-05-2014, 10:17 PM
Seasoned my new UDS yesterday and did the first cook on it today. Nothing to fancy as far as the drum goes. Used the basic Big Poppa kit and plan on making some mods in the future.

St. Louis cut spare ribs and a few ABTs were the first cook. The ABT's were pretty good. It was actually the first time I had made them. The ribs were a different story. They weren't bad but they weren't really good either.

The ribs were a little on the hard side almost as if they were cooked a lot hotter than the 250* that drum supposedly never went over. I am fairly sure that the thermometer that came with the Big Poppa kit is not very accurate and I didn't use my Maverick to monitor the chamber temp because I hadn't made a way for it to get into the smoker yet without destroying the probe.

I smoked the ribs for three hours over KBB and cherry chunks and then rapped in foil for an hour before the rest. I have used this method probably a dozen times or so and they usually turnout pretty good.

I think I would have benefited from a heat diffuser of some sort and I definitely get a handle on the chamber temp. According to the thermometer it held 250 pretty much the whole time. I just need to figure out if that reading is accurate or not.

Thanks for looking

sliding_billy
01-06-2014, 02:57 AM
Looks pretty good from here. Congrats on the new cooker. You'll get her figured out.

Garrett
01-06-2014, 08:19 AM
That's some nice color on them ribs.

Garyclaw
01-06-2014, 08:45 AM
Good looking ribs. I like the skewers for the ABTs.

cowgirl
01-06-2014, 12:46 PM
Most thermometers read at least 25 degrees cooler than what the center drum temp is running. It's been no problem for my cookers. If I want to smoke at 250, I set the drum to a 225F thermo reading.
Your drum and chow looks great! :thumb: