PDA

View Full Version : Knives-no cost limit

Diesel Dave
01-05-2014, 05:36 AM
I know there's been a few threads about the "best knife for the buck"

But what if there was no limit on the cost?
I'm not saying that the knives that have been posted in the other threads aren't really good knives.

But I was just surfin round and found some knives that are a bit more pricey, but are they really that much better?

Awe heck let's toss a poll in the mix here :heh:

So these are a few brands I've looked at so let's see what you all think.

dwfisk
01-05-2014, 05:53 AM
I voted for Victorinox because they are modestly priced and I'm finding that as I get better at hand sharpening (with Japanese wet stones) I can keep them plenty sharp for my needs. I also have a bunch of Chicago Cutlery knives an realky like them too.

Diesel Dave
01-05-2014, 05:55 AM
Thanks Dave, I'm just not that fond of Chicago Cutlery, long story....

ebijack
01-05-2014, 06:15 AM
So many knives, so little time. I have so many knives I cannot keep them all in the kitchen. Heck I think I have 12 fillet knives. Even gave a set of carving knives to one of my kids out.
For me I want a sharp knife. I have 4 different sharpeners just in the kitchen. I have always sharpened my knives and even if I bought a high end knife I would probably be sharpening it weekly at least. If I was the only one using the knives, it might be a different story. Depending on the blade material, you could run into where it is very difficult to sharpen.
And I like knives, I still buy knives, I would like to have a lot more than I do now and I already have to many so says the wife. :drama:
It's like anything else, fishing, boating, smoking, grilling. There is no One Best Option for everything for me.

IlliniQ
01-05-2014, 07:23 AM
I have a Wustof santoku that I use for just about all my knife work. Great heft, nice balance. Definitely the best knife I've ever heard, and fairly reasonably priced as well.
http://jasonricemd.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/photo-12.jpg?w=300

Teleking
01-05-2014, 07:35 AM
Bob Kramer cutlery... If cost is really no spending limit.

YetiDave
01-05-2014, 07:37 AM
Old Hickory - better steel

Partyof5
01-05-2014, 08:05 AM
Any of the higher end Japanese steels. I'm sure Kramer's are great but I would scared as he!! to use one. I view them more as collector pieces or art.

I always thought that Victorinox is the best in terms of cost performance tradeoff. They're my go to knives for most meat cutting jobs.

Fwismoker
01-05-2014, 08:07 AM
For all intents and purposes i don't think you can go wrong with Victorinox... and you don't need to spend an arm or a leg.

dadsr4
01-05-2014, 08:14 AM
I've been looking also. So far, Victorinox seems to be the best choice for me. These are tools to be used, so I do not want to be worried about them being damaged every day.

Shagdog
01-05-2014, 08:14 AM
I had wustoff and was fairly happy with them except for their edge retention. Those damn things wouldn't stay sharp! After really researching things I started looking more and more at Japanese Steel. First I bought myself a couple MAC knives. Great reviews, reasonable price point (about the same as a Wustoff classic) I couldn't believe the difference. Stayed razor sharp forever, weighed 1/3 as much, allowed me to cut paper thin slices. I was blown away. Anyway, after a year I think, "there's gotta be be something better... If MAC is this good, just imagine if you spent a little more". After a lot more research, I bought a masamoto. It is incredible. I can't imagine finding a better knife, but I'll let you know if I do.

Anyways, Spend the extra money, buy Japanese, you won't regret it. Check out Korin.com. Great customer service.

bookie
01-05-2014, 08:43 AM
http://www.thebestthings.com/knives/sabatiercarbon.htm

http://www.sabatieroutlet.com/

I use carbon steel, just don't like stainless

To sharpen, a good Arkansas Black Stone using water not oil

Bludawg
01-05-2014, 09:22 AM
I Buy the Steel not the Name the Sweeds have perfected 4116 krups to a high art form.Best bang for the buc IMO is Victornox. I also Have a Set of Chicago Cutlery that are about 25 yrs old that have given me great service.

Trev
01-05-2014, 09:29 AM
I love the Japanese knifes look at a store called tosho knife arts very cool I could go broke there.

Offthehook
01-05-2014, 09:52 AM
Japanese blades like Shun are my go tos.

The Drill Sargent
01-05-2014, 09:59 AM
I say other, Shunn is what we work with. It is the closest easiest, hot knife thru butter kinda cut out there. It is great for carving at weddings, it looks nice too! However as a workhorse kinda knife on our sportfishing boat we exclusively use Forschner 10in breaking knife (now victorinox).

CTSmokehouse
01-05-2014, 10:17 AM
Love my Glestain Slicer!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

rlt
01-05-2014, 10:48 AM
I have some knives that are made by Viking. I really, really like them. They aren't that expensive either. About the same price point as Wusthoff.

TSGlover
01-05-2014, 11:04 AM
Henckels are really good german blades.

HarrynVegas
01-05-2014, 11:17 AM
I got an eight knife set of Henckels about twenty five years ago. I use the heck out of them. Use the steel often to keep the edge true and I sharpen them once a quarter on a wet stone wheel. There are probably better knives out there if price is not an issue, but these have served me well.

Whitewookie
01-05-2014, 11:42 AM
I said other because my primary is a set of Henckels Vier Stern (four star), but I also have a set of Wusthof steak knives that I really like. Also I have a very old Bridel cleaver that I dearly love.

If we're talking money being no object though, I want some good Damascus steele of some kind.... Unfortunately with me, money is definitely an object.

VR,
Harold

okiej
01-05-2014, 11:57 AM
I am using Wusthoff and like them a lot. I was using some Chicago cutlery and misc stuff the wife had like KithenAide. I am much happier with the Wusthoff's. I think my next knife will be to replace my poor antique electric filet knife.

ironmanerik
01-05-2014, 12:10 PM
I have a 10" chef by henckel 10 years ago was 100$, keeps an edge forever.

Mrfish
01-05-2014, 12:26 PM
I love my Henckels. Maybe ignorance of not knowing what you don't know, but have had these for 10 years and hold a great edge.

Okie Sawbones
01-05-2014, 12:38 PM
I had wustoff and was fairly happy with them except for their edge retention. Those damn things wouldn't stay sharp! After really researching things I started looking more and more at Japanese Steel. First I bought myself a couple MAC knives. Great reviews, reasonable price point (about the same as a Wustoff classic) I couldn't believe the difference. Stayed razor sharp forever, weighed 1/3 as much, allowed me to cut paper thin slices. I was blown away. Anyway, after a year I think, "there's gotta be be something better... If MAC is this good, just imagine if you spent a little more". After a lot more research, I bought a masamoto. It is incredible. I can't imagine finding a better knife, but I'll let you know if I do.

Anyways, Spend the extra money, buy Japanese, you won't regret it. Check out Korin.com. Great customer service.

I agree about edge retention on the Wusthof. I sharpen before every use. PITA. I'll have to try a Masamoto.

As Teleking says, Kramer is great, but very pricey. We have one 10" Chef's knife, which was a gift. Holds the edge well.

popeye
01-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Thats were i feel lucky. my father-in-law before he died (he was a chef) gave me his knifes . They are the old carbon steel ones . They hold a good edge . By the way he was 85 when he died 15 years ago .

NRA4Life
01-05-2014, 01:23 PM
Global knives

plowin-fire
01-05-2014, 01:56 PM
I use knives made by Red Rock Tools. Hand made in town. Excellent quality and feel. Best part is they come with free lifetime sharpening! http://redrocktools.weebly.com/photos.html

frankH
01-05-2014, 02:12 PM

+1 for Korin.com. My wife got me a Suisin High-carbon steel Honesuki that is designed for trimming meat. It requires much more maintenance and care than a stainless blade, and I'm still practicing on how to sharpen with whetstones on my older knives. Its surprisingly fun to use the stones.

Until I tried this knife, I used to think you were wasting your money if you spent more than $30 on a single blade. It's amazing for $90 or so. I can't imagine what a $3,000 blade will do.

buccaneer
01-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Dave, it's hard.
For me, it's like posing a question:if money was no deterant and you could buy any car in the world, would you choose
A) Ford Pinto
B) Ford Pinto
C) Ford F 100

Out of any car in the world?
I wouldn't even consider those three, but now I don't know what I am choosing for.
Masamoto is the best utilitarian knife mentioned in the thread so far, but can I opt for a hand made knife from a craftsman in Sakai City?

If I'm screaming around mountain roads I might go for a veyron or a Ferrari, but if I'm driving up and down beaches I'd like a aluminum body range rover.

trufunk
01-05-2014, 03:23 PM
I would love a Shun. I just recently bought a Victorinox Cutlery 6-Inch Semi-Stiff Boning Knife, Black Fibrox Handle (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CF94L/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and I think it is a great knife for the price!

FatCoyote
01-05-2014, 03:28 PM
J. A. Henckels drop forged made in the German plant are the best for the money and regularly available is my opinion. I have many very nice knives but the Henckels knives have always been my regular use ones as they handle very well, keep a great edge, can be sharpened at home without issue, etc. In short for the price these are by far my favorite knives.

Oh I go through at least a 100lbs of brisket a month not to mention, the pork, yard bird, fish and whatever else needs attending to as well as a pile of veggie preps.....

Packmanjim
01-05-2014, 03:37 PM
I love my Cutco knives.

DerHusker
01-05-2014, 03:40 PM
Love my Victorinox knives but if price is not an object then I really really love my Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Pro knives.

RevZiLLa
01-05-2014, 04:32 PM
I have a set of Ed Wusthof Dreizackwerk Trident Solingen knives purchased over 30 years ago. The metal is so hard that is strips the tines from a steel and I have gone through several steels. They hold an edge for 12-18 months before needing sharpening. I sharpen with a Smith' diamond system (like Lansky)

Here is an eBay listing of what I have
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ed-Wusthof-Dreizackwerk-Trident-Solingen-Germany-Inox-Knife-No-4522-20-Cm-/181293282247?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a35ebf3c7

I am not sure if the metal alloy is the same as this because the etching has faded over the years....much like my eyes and it is hard to read

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Ed-Wusthof-Dreizackwerk-Trident-Solingen-Germany-Inox-Knife-No-4522-20-Cm-/00/s/NzUwWDEwMDA=/z/eMUAAOxy4dNSxWOP/$_57.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Ed-Wusthof-Dreizackwerk-Trident-Solingen-Germany-Inox-Knife-No-4522-20-Cm-/00/s/NzUwWDEwMDA=/z/xbMAAMXQVERSxWOK/$_57.JPG

Diesel Dave
01-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Thanks everyone for all the input and choices!!!

I guess there's a bit more shopping around to do.

Buccs I'd buy a Pinto in a minute!!!! They're farkin cool :heh: :laugh:

gtr
01-05-2014, 04:48 PM
If cost is not an issue, then...

http://japanesechefsknife.com/

Many choices here. I have a vegetable chopper and a slicing knife from this site. They are fantastic. What I got was probably at the lower range of prices (not sure - they were gifts from my lovely wife), but they function at least as well as any tool I've ever seen for any purpose.

IndoorOutdoorCook
01-05-2014, 05:03 PM
Just a comment on the japanese knife recommendations. The western chef's knife is designed that you make a rocking cut while pushing forward. Japanese knives are usually designed that you make a pulling cut which is supposed to be more precise. It can take a while to get used to. Something to keep in mind about your personal style.

Big Mike
01-05-2014, 05:29 PM
For a Western style knife I would probably go with Messermeister over Wusthof and Henckel. They have a more acute blade angle and seem to maintain there edge better.

People rave about Japanese knives, but I don't really know much about them. If money was no object, I would definitely get some to try.

swbill
01-05-2014, 05:34 PM
I asked for a good quality knife set for Christmas. I got a 18 piece Wusthoff set and while I appreciated it it really wasn't what I was looking for. I have used them a lot in the past couple weeks and I gotta say they are damn nice. Its not a expensive set (retail was like $250) but there great for the price.

buccaneer
01-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Just a comment on the japanese knife recommendations. The western chef's knife is designed that you make a rocking cut while pushing forward. Japanese knives are usually designed that you make a pulling cut which is supposed to be more precise. It can take a while to get used to. Something to keep in mind about your personal style.

This is true of Japanese saws, not knives, generally.
The exception is for sashimi knives, Yanagiba, which has the extended belly designed for pull single stokes to slice delicate raw fish perfectly.
It ensures no sawing or second cuts.

Since we are talking western knives, they will all be perfectly suitable and in most cases superior as a normal kitchen tool.
No need to go into intricacies like L/R hand bevels here, or how to use a deba.

I've dealt with the link above provided by gtr for over a decade, 7 day delivery and totally reliable.
Masamoto
Misono
Fujiwara
are just a few remarkable knife makers there.:thumb:

Oldyote
01-05-2014, 05:48 PM
Give me a F 100 any day.:wink:

Shagdog
01-05-2014, 05:54 PM
This is true of Japanese saws, not knives, generally.
The exception is for sashimi knives, Yanagiba, which has the extended belly designed for pull single stokes to slice delicate raw fish perfectly.
It ensures no sawing or second cuts.

Since we are talking western knives, they will all be perfectly suitable and in most cases superior as a normal kitchen tool.
No need to go into intricacies like L/R hand bevels here, or how to use a deba.

I've dealt with the link above provided by gtr for over a decade, 7 day delivery and totally reliable.
Masamoto
Misano
Fujiwara
are just a few remarkable knife makers there.:thumb:

I was thinking the same.. Especially with the wide variety of Gyutos available now that are specifically targeting western audiences, there's no need to fear the Japanese blades or worry about changing the way you cut, chop, and slice.

Bucc, I love that site too. I want a Hattori soooo bad.. Wish they weren't always sold out.

buccaneer
01-05-2014, 05:57 PM
I was thinking the same.. Especially with the wide variety of Gyutos available now that are specifically targeting western audiences, there's no need to fear the Japanese blades or worry about changing the way you cut, chop, and slice.

Bucc, I love that site too. I want a Hattori soooo bad.. Wish they weren't always sold out.

Let me know what you want specifically and I'll get one made for you if I can.
Just message me with the exact details, if it's possible I will get it done for you.
Bucc

Shagdog
01-05-2014, 06:15 PM
Wow, Thanks, I really appreciate it! I guess I have some decisions to make. And I better start buttering up the Mrs.. She seems to think I have enough knives.. I better convince her otherwise :heh: I'll shoot ya a PM if and when I sell the wifey on it. I got a feeling it's going to cost me a few pairs of shoes or something.

Teleking
01-05-2014, 06:47 PM
I love my Cutco knives.

Did you get the salesmen discount or pay full price? Sorry but a little research and you might be a little less than impressed with their sales practices and schemes. Not a big fan of buy this "you make commission"

Cheers

TropicDad
01-05-2014, 07:03 PM
I have a Shun which I love for veggies, if I could have any knife it would be a Kramer. I must admit for meat I love my restaurant grade Dexter knives.

bigsapper
01-05-2014, 07:24 PM
I bought a Japanese Gyuto a few years back. It was *crazy* sharp. I didn't like the light weight. Sold it and bought an Al Mar Gyuto. The Al Mar is a bit heavier and has the
Western style v-cut blade.

(Al Mar is better known for his tactical blades)

IamMadMan
01-05-2014, 09:43 PM
I have seen where may have recommended Wusthoff knives many many times. I searched Amazon and Restaurant WebStore, but I am the type of person who needs to see and feel what I purchase.

On my way to Harbor Freight, I see they opened up a Restaurant Equippers store next to Harbor Freight. They had Wusthoff knives much cheaper than Amazon and no shipping. I bought a 12 in Graton slicer for $42.50. I tried it and went back and bought a chef's knife and a ham slicer. Great knives and a bargain for the price.

AaronPo
01-05-2014, 10:07 PM
I have a couple different Wusthoff knives and I also have a couple of the Kershaw Shun series knives and I love them both.

I've found honestly that sharpening and knife care are more important than brand when we're talking a high quality knife. My dad was a chef for 30+ years and he preached to me for years before you cut anything you always steel your knife first. I usually have my knives sharpened once a year as well.

If where talking cost is no object, I would probably say a full set of Murray Carter knives!

http://www.cartercutlery.com/

landarc
01-05-2014, 10:23 PM
If there was no price limit, I would own a Kramer or two. I have cut with them, and once you regrind the edge and sharpen them up they are incredible.

I also would buy several of the high end, cost is no object Japanese knives, as they are a preference for me. I think they are exceptional knives, and the handles are something I like.

That being said, my old Wusthof, the Classic Chef knife, has served me well, and will continue to do so. I changed the edge, to a rolled, or clam shell, profile, which has significantly increased it's sharpness durability. But, if I am spending someone else's money, why would I buy a knife I can already buy?

mep
01-05-2014, 10:37 PM
I have the Wusthof classic series and I don't seem to have any problem keeping them sharp. I usually do steel them before heavy use. I have them sharpened once a year. They are cleaned and put back in the block right after use.

retired trucker
01-05-2014, 10:42 PM
I have a set of Ed Wusthof Dreizackwerk Trident Solingen knives purchased over 30 years ago. The metal is so hard that is strips the tines from a steel and I have gone through several steels. They hold an edge for 12-18 months before needing sharpening. I sharpen with a Smith' diamond system (like Lansky)

I am not sure if the metal alloy is the same as this because the etching has faded over the years....much like my eyes and it is hard to read.

The steel is CR MOV 15, which is a Chinese stainless steel of fairly good quality. They make a similar steel for pocket knives that is a 13, and a 14, instead of the 15. Not sure what the #'s represent, but the 13's are used in some Kershaw China made knives. The best way to keep your kitchen knives sharp longer is to use a steel on them every other day or so. The apex, or the edge of the blade will "curl" or bend over with use, and can be seen with high magnification. The use of a good steel will straighten out the edge and return the sharpness without having to re sharpen your knife as often. I only have to sharpen my Soligen knives about every two to three months to keep them in top shape. Do not, never ever never, use a pull through carbide V type sharpener on your good kitchen knives. It will absolutely destroy your knives, and if you were to look at them under magnification, they would look like a ruined saw blade. They literally tear the metal away leaving a cutable edge that will last about 20 minutes before dulling and needing another blade destroying pull through again.
Can you tell that I don't like those type of sharpeners? I have a small sharpening business on the side, and see lots of good knives with horrid wear on them from these type sharpeners.

If money is no problem, find a custom knife maker that will make you a good chef knife out of tool steel like D2, or even D1 which is a great steel, but harder to sharpen than the D2. They are not stainless, but will hold an edge for a long time, and just require some common sense care to keep them in great shape.

If you are buying a set of knives, you can really save some money by only buying a good chef knife about 8 inches. A good fillet type knife, and a good paring knife. You can do about 95% of all your kitchen duties with these 3 knives. Anything else is just fluff and will just sit in your knife block and collect dust. Just my opinion by the way!

Blessings,
Omar

Diesel Dave
01-06-2014, 05:15 AM
Thanks again everyone.
Not only have I seen what knives are most often bought and used, but have also got a lesson in knife care and sharpening :thumb:

I've been looking at the Wusthof for a while and will probably go that way

eddieh70301
01-06-2014, 08:41 AM
I have a couple of Victorinox knives but they do not stay sharp. I always wanted a SHUN or Ken Onion ( I think it's made by SHUN). Only problem is I don't know how to use a stone to sharpen. Guess i need to learn.

pwa
01-06-2014, 11:19 AM
I use my Shuns almost daily and love them, I have them professionally sharpened every 6mth. I haven't used any of the other high end knives but I do have Henckels and Chicago cutlery ones(not sure on grade/level what have you) but they just not in the same league. I also have some Victorinox fibrox knives at the shack they do pretty good. If you looking for higher end knives that you and only you are using I'd go with Shuns or other Japanese steels, IF I was look for an everyone going to use it for with the Fibrox knives.

bbq.tom
01-06-2014, 12:08 PM
I've got CUTCO and absolutely love them!!!
Got a great discount on most of them, and I got a couple off eBay. They are expensive, but if you factor in that they are FOREVER guaranteed then the cost is off-set.
VERY sharp and keeps a good edge for quite a while. Easy to resharpen, and can always be returned to factory (in Olean, New York) for them to sharpen or repair/replace.

bbq.tom
01-06-2014, 12:13 PM
Did you get the salesmen discount or pay full price? Sorry but a little research and you might be a little less than impressed with their sales practices and schemes. Not a big fan of buy this "you make commission"

Cheers

This thread is about quality of knives (without price consideration) NOT "sales practices and schemes"!

These are really good knives!

CambuiAl
01-06-2014, 01:08 PM
I have some Global knives (wedding present) which I have never been really happy with, as try as I might, I just cannot keep a good edge on them, even with the ceramic stone sharpener. I also bought a set of Füri Knives in a chance encounter in Melbourne Australia, having been given a carving knife from them some years before, which I loved. http://www.furi-knives.us/index.htm

However, for most of the time I am cooking on my UDS, it´s the Kershaw Junkyard Dog that sees the most action! :grin:

JazzyBadger
01-06-2014, 01:36 PM
http://www.bloodrootblades.com/kitchen-knives-gallery/large-chef/
Probably something from them for a custom knife.
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/HATTORI.html#Hattori
A gyuto from there if I wasn't getting a custom.

Flash Point
01-06-2014, 01:49 PM
I would take my time and buy what I wanted or needed without trying to keep a matched set. My chef's knife would be my first purchase, damascus, and Japanese. I don't know who I'd go with, but it would have a maker's mark as opposed to a factory stamp. Next would be a boning and filet knife. Again, it would be a one-off. Next would be a paring. I think it would be a lot of fun to amass a collection of unique, hand-made knives.

deepsouth
01-06-2014, 02:44 PM
while understanding they aren't the best, i really enjoy my shun knives.

Diesel Dave
01-06-2014, 03:22 PM
I'm really appreciating all the options, opinions and the links to knife producers.

The search could really be a long one

jamus34
01-06-2014, 03:30 PM
I just got a Victorinox Fibrox 8" chefs and 12" slicer for Christmas.

Haven't had a need to use the slicer yet but I used the chefs to cut up some veggies for chili I made Sat. I can say that I have never been able to cut slices as thin as I was with my old Henckles International 8" (which I consider to be junk by any definition of the word).

Does anyone know a good place to get sharpening stones and how to sharpen a knife properly?

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-06-2014, 03:34 PM
Every year at Christmas time I buy myself a bbq comp only knife. I have several brands. I am found of Shun because of the way the classics fit my hands. That being said this year I bought my 2nd Glestain and love it , I have the 14" beef slicer and now a 8" chefs. I must also say the flexable boning from Wushtoff is pretty sweet as well. You really need to figure out what fits your hands and usage. For example I bought a 10" chefs (Messimiester) and its just to big for me.

landarc
01-06-2014, 03:45 PM
I have a 10" Dexter-Russel Sani-safe chef's knife for daily use (note, I have a tenant/housemate, who let his friends use my Wusthof for chopping on the back of my cast iron skillet, so Wusthof is no longer out) and it is not for everyone. The 10" length, if you have small hands or bad technique, or just prefer to use the handle as a grip, will work your wrist over pretty badly. For most folks, I normally suggest an 8" Chef knife as the maximum length. Many Japanese folks (note typically smaller frame) prefer a 6" Chef knife length, as it is far more comfortable.

I use Arkansas stones and Japanese synthetic stones for sharpening, there are many sources on-line. Korin is a great source. I recommend a 1000/4000 combination for most kitchen knives. I have a 400 stone, for major blade recovery work, but, that is pretty major grinding.

buccaneer
01-06-2014, 03:46 PM
Does anyone know a good place to get sharpening stones and how to sharpen a knife properly?

Use the search function, I've written whole threads on it, with links.:thumb:

landarc
01-06-2014, 03:47 PM
Oh, and I do not like steels that have ridges. I believe a smooth, round, carbon steel rod is best. Or, you can strop using a piece of rough newsprint, 'pasted' to your stone with a little water. It works great as well.

Diesel Dave
01-06-2014, 03:55 PM
Thanks for all the added info Bob. I actually have a strop for straight razor sharpening and know how to sharpen them. But the strop never crossed my mind.

I think I'm going to hit a few kitchen supply and chef stores before I purchase any knives. Try to get the "feel" of them.

retired trucker
01-06-2014, 03:57 PM
I just got a Victorinox Fibrox 8" chefs and 12" slicer for Christmas.

Haven't had a need to use the slicer yet but I used the chefs to cut up some veggies for chili I made Sat. I can say that I have never been able to cut slices as thin as I was with my old Henckles International 8" (which I consider to be junk by any definition of the word).

Try Amazon and look for a Norton India two sided medium/fine stone if you want to freehand sharpen your kitchen knives. It is a great stone for that purpose and cost about $20 $25. There are tons of u-tube videos showing how to sharpen with a stone. A guy called Mr. Edgy has some great video's on hand sharpening with stones. Here is a link to one of his video's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgOXvtJDm5E#t=24 Here is a link of him using the above mentioned stone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VPCvd5hUVQ

Blessings,
Omar

Offthehook
01-06-2014, 04:11 PM
Not sure about MI but we have a couple sur la tables around here with veggies you can test drive with. Kinda neat considering the days of the internet shoppers.

Stoke&Smoke
01-06-2014, 04:23 PM
For contests its hard to beat the Victorinox line as if one walks away, or falls and gets nicked, you haven't lost a ton of dough, but I LOVE my Wusthof Grand Brisket slicer from MABA.

For home, I like my Shun 8" Ken Onion and also my Richmond Addict in carbon steel. around 61 Rockwell, takes and holds an edge really well and nicely balanced. Have had the Shun for 2 or 3 years now and only have steeled it, it still holds a hair popping edge. And the Richmond isn't bad either.

Happy Hapgood
01-06-2014, 04:26 PM
Henckels are really good German blades.

What he said. :thumb:

The 3 on the right:

http://i45.tinypic.com/5v0wwi.jpg

Diesel Dave
01-06-2014, 04:26 PM
Not sure about MI but we have a couple sur la tables around here with veggies you can test drive with. Kinda neat considering the days of the internet shoppers.

There isn't that I know of or heard of. but that would be really cool, to try the knives out.

landarc
01-06-2014, 04:30 PM
Now, here is an interesting alternative, since you seem to want to learn sharpening as well. Nose around some old thrift and antique stores, look for old, carbon steel blades, that are not rusted. Even if the handle it messed up, what you are looking for is clean, smooth, steel, no rust, pitting or chunks missing. If you can find old Solingen, Sheffield or even old Japanese steel, you can find some real nice blades that way.

Eggspert
01-06-2014, 04:48 PM
I love my carbon steel Sabtier knives. They have to be the ones made in France, not China. There is an elephant on the good ones and there is a difference. If you know what you are doing you can get them sharp enough to shave with. They stay sharp too, because the blade is so much harder then stainless steel. The negative side is, you have to clean them IMMEDIATELY after use or they start to rust and of course dry them off well.

I really want to try Shun knives as well, but they are so expensive. I believe they have a different edge on them which makes them more difficult to sharpen as well.

As far as which knives you need, I think you can get pretty much anything done with a brisket slicer, chef's knife, de-boning knive, and a paring knife. Those are the knives I use constantly. If you don't do much brisket then skip the brisket slicer.

Eggspert

Frog
01-06-2014, 06:24 PM
I use Gunter Wilhelm Knives.. I bought my 2 main knives (7in santoku and 7in Asian cleaver) for 30/ea i think at Costco when they had a road show (they are now 35-40ea).. i just bought a 12pc set yesterday because i found them at costco after a year of waiting..

They are made with 440c German Steel, RC of 56-58

1. Great knives for the cost.
2. Very Sharp (i have a few people with cuts to prove it lol)
3. Holds an edge very well/Not easy to chip
4. Lifetime Warranty regardless if its your fault or not.
5. Easy to hone and sharpen if needed.

Today I found a Japanese set with VG10 steel with RC of 60-62 (I've been waiting for a Jap set to go on sale so i purchased these as well). I will be testing both sets of knives and which ever is sharper and easier to use ill be keeping. Other set will get returned :).

Pics attached, Brown set is the Gunter Wilhelm, black handle is the new Japanese knives made by Ryuu.

Teleking
01-06-2014, 06:43 PM
This thread is about quality of knives (without price consideration) NOT "sales practices and schemes"!

These are really good knives!

Well that answers the question. :shock: Money is no object and you settle for cutco! I'll take a hand made Bob Kramer Damascus steel chefs knife over machine stamped stainless production any day. I will give credit for made in the USA.

However, the business model and practices of a company that takes advantage of people to make a profit should be a consideration regardless of the quality of the product. A little research into cutco sales practices leads me to never do business with such a deceptive company regardless if I even thought the cutlery was worth the $$$.

Cheers YMMVMDN

buccaneer
01-06-2014, 06:43 PM
Frog, the Ryuu are not Japanese knives, they are Japanese blanks sent to China and made there.
The damascus overlay often fails and fissures roll under the layers.
If I were wanting to get good economy, I would buy a single high quality Japanese cleaver and be done with it.
A victorinox $4 paring and tomato knife and there is nothing that cannot be done uncludin sashimi and breaking bones.

Otherwise choose carefully and buy a top chefs + petty or santoku- petty and stop there.

Frog
01-06-2014, 06:53 PM
Frog, the Ryuu are not Japanese knives, they are Japanese blanks sent to China and made there.
If I were wanting to get good economy, I would buy a single high quality Japanese cleaver and be done with it.
A victorinox $4 paring and tomato knife and there is nothing that cannot be done uncludin sashimi and breaking bones.

Otherwise choose carefully and buy a top chefs + petty or santoku- petty and stop there.

your right about ryuu i was thinking it was made in jap when it is just jap steel used.. either way life time warranty on both sets i ordered to try :)

I do own a 1 Misono knife its kinda heavy vs other knives i've held but it is SHARPPPP and it holds its edge for a very long time even with all the abuse it goes through.

JazzyBadger
01-06-2014, 08:44 PM
One thing I did just to experience different kinds of knives since I've been throwing myself into this hobby/skill/obsession/etc. was get into a knife trading online group. Took me about six months to build up the trust with everyone in there, but now I've basically got a library membership for knives.

Don't keep them, I get to try the ones I hit up in the order I requested it when the offer is made, usually the offer lasts 24 hours, and then all I have to do is follow the shipping guidelines laid out by the person who began the trade, and cover it as I pass it onto the next one.

Get to see some beautiful knives, and there's quite a few knife makers that are in the pool trying to show off their wares. Highly recommend it if you're trying to find the perfect knife, where the budget is sky high.

JazzyBadger
01-06-2014, 08:46 PM

Once I feel as though my sharpening is justified in splurging in the world of knives, I am getting a cleaver. Seems like something I could really enjoy getting the hang of using.

landarc
01-06-2014, 09:16 PM
Different cleavers, different purposes. I am actually not against the purchase of a Chinese heavy cleaver, as they are wonderful tools. There is possibly not a better poultry knife in the world than a Chinese cleaver. I happen to believe they are better than Japanese heavy cleavers.

jamus34
01-06-2014, 09:57 PM
Use the search function, I've written whole threads on it, with links.:thumb:

Thanks for the jumpstart!

aawa
01-06-2014, 10:23 PM
If price was no object, I would go with a Bob Kramer custom knife set.

http://kramerknives.com/

unfortunately oyu have to sell a new born baby, a kidney, and a lung to pay for it.

JazzyBadger
01-06-2014, 11:08 PM
If price was no object, I would go with a Bob Kramer custom knife set.

http://kramerknives.com/

unfortunately oyu have to sell a new born baby, a kidney, and a lung to pay for it.

You also have to win the lottery.
Daaaaamn that lottery.

aawa
01-06-2014, 11:29 PM
You also have to win the lottery.
Daaaaamn that lottery.

Yep. He is highly sought after. 4 year backlog for the last 10 years.

The guy that won one of his knives on top chef was a very lucky SOB.

mikeleonard81
01-07-2014, 02:16 AM
I don't know about the other ones mentioned from personal use. I have the mercer genisus set and they are amazing knives so far! I'm not ruf on them so they hold an edge great.

Diesel Dave
01-07-2014, 09:50 AM
For contests its hard to beat the Victorinox line as if one walks away, or falls and gets nicked, you haven't lost a ton of dough, but I LOVE my Wusthof Grand Brisket slicer from MABA.

Thanks Stoke&Smoke, I'm taking this post to heart and am going with Wusthof for my comp knives. As these and the Victronox are quite comparable in price.

Many of you have suggested more high end and lower high end knives, These I will be looking for for home use.
But I'm going to shop around and actually get to feel the knives before I purchase them as has been suggested.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions, you've all been really helpful. :thumb:

Frog
01-10-2014, 07:47 PM
So after having both sets in front of me.. the Ryuu were way sharper I didnt even have to put pressure just held knife with 2 fingers and slid it and it would cut through any veggy.. i was really really impressed.. but i found that i only use 1 of the knives so im returning the whole set tomorrow since the others will never be used.. I did how ever get to test a few knives today Shuns, wusthof, and some miyabis (these were great even the new line with the 440FC)... I ended up buying a Shun... Something about the feel, length, and sharpness it was one of my favorites to handle.... now the expensive hobby of collecting knives will soon be on the way lol.