PDA

View Full Version : Ugly drum wood question

krshome
01-03-2014, 07:38 AM
Happy New year all! I have a very simple question but just need a second opinion. I usually use fist sized chunks of wood in my basket but for xmas my mother-in-law gave me a couple of bags of chipped apple wood. How should I put it in the basket? the only time I ever used chips it smoked like crazy during the warm up then when the meat went on the chips had all burned up. I have seen people wrap it in foil and punch holes in the foil. Would that be the answer?

Bludawg
01-03-2014, 08:45 AM
Save the chips for grillin chicken & chops they won't work in a UDS at least enough to notice.

sincitydisciple01
01-03-2014, 10:49 AM
Save the chips for grillin chicken & chops they won't work in a UDS at least enough to notice.

Yep. Even if you soak them, they will burn up too fast for use in a drum.

el_matt
01-03-2014, 11:00 AM
I'll third those opinions. Never had good luck with chips in my UDS. I pretty much only use chips in my soldering iron cold smoker.

Matt

NolanB
01-03-2014, 01:44 PM
I'll make it four thumbs down for the chips, use chunks in your drum. Apple is a good wood for smoking btw.

krshome
01-03-2014, 04:15 PM
Thanks guys that what I thought. I'll just return them and get some lump. Just lit the uds for a overnight cook and it's frickin cold.