PDA

View Full Version : Ground beef in SS

cmwr
01-01-2014, 09:29 AM
will ground beef work just as well as ground pork to mix with venison for summer sausage? My pork ratio in the past has been 3 lbs venison to 2 lbs pork.

thirdeye
01-01-2014, 09:50 AM
We've always used ground pork butt to cut wild game in all sausage. Beef (even fattier beef like chuck) seems to give the sausage a mealy texture, and the finished product is a little drier.

cmwr
01-01-2014, 10:27 AM
We've always used ground pork butt to cut wild game in all sausage. Beef (even fattier beef like chuck) seems to give the sausage a mealy texture, and the finished product is a little drier.

Ok thats what I was wondering thanks.

Firby13
01-01-2014, 10:35 AM
I have never used ground beef but did use beef fat one time. It came out good but not as good as pork fat. I never bothered to use other meat as I like the game taste but not the venison tallow flavor. You do need the fat to hold it all together. I always used about 20# fat to 80# meat.

IamMadMan
01-01-2014, 12:14 PM
Yes you can use ground beef for summer sausage. I make it for my holiday guests who do not eat venison. Buy beef roasts, chuck or round, trim them well and then grind. If you cheat and buy ground beef from the store then buy ground round with a lower fat ratio.

make sure you use a cure on any ground sausage.

cowgirl
01-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Beef will make it drier. If you don't have pork fat on hand, I've used three parts venison to one part fatty bacon, it turns out well.

Good luck with what ever you do, hope you take pics!

cmwr
01-05-2014, 08:10 AM
What I ended up doing was buying some of those 1 lb packages of ground pork. It was more convenient than the last time when I bought pork trimmings and had to grind myself. This time just snip the package and dump it in the ground deer meat. :thumb:

Just finished 6 logs last night. I can see, after the ice bath, that I got plenty of air pockets in them as the skin is loose in some areas but it will eat good. Wouldn't want to have to present them for display. I had my 9 year old daughter and her friend help me stuff them and I am guessing they didn't quite hold the skin on tight enough. They did a pretty good job I thought so we will enjoy them.