PDA

View Full Version : San Jose, Oakland, San Francisco; Jan. 14-24

QN
12-31-2013, 02:58 PM
San Jose Jan. 14-16; Oakland Jan. 16-17. Friday afternoon driving up to Santa Rosa then to Roseville; visiting a couple of breweries along the way. Sunday, Jan. 19 to Thursday, Jan. 23 in San Francisco. Let me know if there are any good eats not to be missed; barbecue is not necessary... Let me know if any of you farkers are available to get together.

martyleach
12-31-2013, 03:15 PM
Sure, how about we shoot for Tuesday the 21st in downtown SF. I'll see if I can drag some other Brethren along. Location TBD.

QN
01-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Sure, how about we shoot for Tuesday the 21st in downtown SF. I'll see if I can drag some other Brethren along. Location TBD.

Sounds good to me. I'll be staying at the Hilton near Union Square.

martyleach
01-05-2014, 11:45 PM
Hey, sounds great! Maybe meet at Hi-Lo BBQ in the Mission District. Had a great meal there last time. Not your traditional BBQ. Done by high end chefs who want to create BBQ in a great atmosphere. Great cocktails and food. I highly recommend.

landarc
01-05-2014, 11:48 PM
I should be in for that. There is a chance I have a commitment. I can assist in ideas of where to eat, although Hi-Lo is an excellent location if you want BBQ.

martyleach
01-06-2014, 12:18 AM
OK, we have some momentum on the location! We may have from 5 up to 14 people joining you! Welcome to the Bay Area!! :)

QN
01-06-2014, 08:09 AM
OK, we have some momentum on the location! We may have from 5 up to 14 people joining you! Welcome to the Bay Area!! :)

Sounds great! Looking forward to meeting some of the west coast brethren in person.

Any suggestions for places in San Jose or Oakland to try? Doesn't have to be BBQ.

martyleach
01-06-2014, 09:58 PM
Can't help you with San Jose. Bob Fukushima can surely help you with what is happening in Oakland. I know there is some awesome food in Berkeley, his alma mater city.

landarc
01-06-2014, 10:48 PM
Oakland and Berkeley are loaded, what is your pleasure in terms of food types? I could probably list 40 places off the top of my head

QN
01-07-2014, 08:13 AM
Oakland and Berkeley are loaded, what is your pleasure in terms of food types? I could probably list 40 places off the top of my head

Not a big sushi fan, but pretty much anything goes if it is good. I travel a lot for work and always enjoy trying local places. Any suggestions are appreciated. I check web sites for suggestions, but you can't beat direct input from a local who actually lives in the area. I like beer and breweries, so I tend to look for local breweries/brew pubs that have good reviews for their food and beverages.

landarc
01-07-2014, 01:34 PM
For beer in Oakland:
The Trappist, great selection of Belgians
Beer Revolution, tons and tons of ales and beers

For food and beer:
Cato's Ale House, neighborhood pub, at the base of one of the best food streets in Oakland
Commonwealth, great grub and food
The Hog's Apothecary, lots of pork
The Forge Pizza, good pizza, great beer selection, great setting

Food:
Phat Matt's, fairly traditional BBQ
B-side BBQ, non-traditional BBQ, but, very good
Homeroom, Mac and cheese emporium
Hawker Fare, Asian street food
Pho 84, Vietnamese institution in downtown area
Xyclo, Vietnamese fusion
Shan Dong, great hand pulled Chinese noodles
Miss Ollie's, Oakland soul food
Pican, Oakland version of Southern food, has Pappy Van Winkles
Boot and Shoe Service, great everything pizza and lunch
Rosamunde Sausage Company, sausage sandwiches, so good
Tacubaya, frou frou tacos that happen to be very authentic too

landarc
01-07-2014, 01:48 PM
San Francisco:
Toronado, great beer bar
Anchor Brewing, SF original and great tour and tastings
City Beer, the best selection of beers for tasting in the City
Mikkeller Bar, if you don't know Mikkeller beers, you should try this

For beer and food:
The Monks Kettle, you want to go here, food made for and with beer
Suppenkuche, German biergarten done Cali style.
The Fat Angel, great and rare beer selection and great food

Food:
Thousands of options...my favorites within a reasonable budget...
Mission Chinese, bad locale, great Chinese American food
Mission Bowling, great fried chicken and everything else
U.S. Restaurant, old S.F. style Italian-American pasta house
Original Joe's North Beach, S.F. institution
Every single food vendor at the Ferry Plaza, Gott's is a favorite, as is Hog Island Oysters
Super Duper Burgers, best burgers in S.F.
Ton Kiang, good dim sum cheap
Yank Sing, once the best place in S.F. for dim sum, not cheap
Shanghai Dumpling King, soup dumplings
Old Mandarin Islamic Chinese food, one of the best and most unique Chinese places in the country
Ike's Place, sandwiches galore
Tony's Pizza Napoletano, one of the best pizzas in the country

I got tons more here as well

martyleach
01-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Bob, you are in the wrong business..... I want to see you on a food channel. You can be the guy to replace Andrew Zimmer. The you will get a chance to eat all organs from all animals.

San Francisco:
Toronado, great beer bar
Anchor Brewing, SF original and great tour and tastings
City Beer, the best selection of beers for tasting in the City
Mikkeller Bar, if you don't know Mikkeller beers, you should try this

For beer and food:
The Monks Kettle, you want to go here, food made for and with beer
Suppenkuche, German biergarten done Cali style.
The Fat Angel, great and rare beer selection and great food

Food:
Thousands of options...my favorites within a reasonable budget...
Mission Chinese, bad locale, great Chinese American food
Mission Bowling, great fried chicken and everything else
U.S. Restaurant, old S.F. style Italian-American pasta house
Original Joe's North Beach, S.F. institution
Every single food vendor at the Ferry Plaza, Gott's is a favorite, as is Hog Island Oysters
Super Duper Burgers, best burgers in S.F.
Ton Kiang, good dim sum cheap
Yank Sing, once the best place in S.F. for dim sum, not cheap
Shanghai Dumpling King, soup dumplings
Old Mandarin Islamic Chinese food, one of the best and most unique Chinese places in the country
Ike's Place, sandwiches galore
Tony's Pizza Napoletano, one of the best pizzas in the country

I got tons more here as well

jeffjenkins1
01-09-2014, 08:54 PM
I am sure you will hit up Russian River, make sure they are not releasing anything. I went last month and there was a 6 hour wait for Beautification. I just picked up some Pliny and left.

Hi Lo was great, BTW.

Jeff

martyleach
01-09-2014, 10:52 PM
I am sure you will hit up Russian River, make sure they are not releasing anything. I went last month and there was a 6 hour wait for Beautification. I just picked up some Pliny and left.

Hi Lo was great, BTW.

Jeff

Jeff, that was a fun time at Hi-Lo. Really enjoyed you, Gore and his buddies being there! It was pretty darned dark in there though. Sorry I can't bring you a dark plumber's tee shirt this month. :)

QN
01-10-2014, 01:12 PM

Hi Lo was great, BTW.

Jeff

Russian River is on my agenda. Just had a couple of pints of Pliny the Elder in Philly this week. Good beer!

jeffjenkins1
01-12-2014, 09:22 PM
Whenever I go there, I get 24 bottles of Pliny. I think it is their best beer. Just got into sours so next time I go I will get some of those.

Jeff

QN
01-14-2014, 05:55 PM
Made it to San Jose. Going to check out the Original Gravity Public House this evening.

jeffjenkins1
01-14-2014, 08:34 PM
Nice, my jobs HQ is in Sunnyvale so I go there about once a quarter. Have fun!

Jeff

martyleach
01-14-2014, 10:30 PM
See you next week. Should be good!

martyleach
01-15-2014, 10:17 PM
OK, so we have Mark(QN), me, John Yee(R2Egg2Q), Bob Fukushima(Landarc), Tim Dougherty(Groundhog66), Scott Zalkind (Lucky Dog Hot Sauce) and the lady he is dragging with him. Anybody else??
I will get us a table for 6:30.
3416 19th Street
San Francisco, CA 94110
Get directions (https://www.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Hi+Lo+BBQ+3416+19th+Street+San+Francisco+CA&aq=&sll=37.559778,-77.448973&sspn=0.415311,0.749817&ie=UTF8&hq=Hi+Lo+BBQ&hnear=3416+19th+St,+San+Francisco,+California+9411 4&t=m&z=16&iwloc=A&output=embed#)
(415) 874-9921
hilobbqsf.com (http://www.google.com/local_url?dq=Hi+Lo+BBQ+3416+19th+Street+San+Franci sco+CA&q=http://www.hilobbqsf.com/&oi=miw&sa=X&ct=miw_link&cd=1&cad=homepage,cid:5584796880557668965&ei=i1zXUryzEcmQiQLn5YCYAQ&s=ANYYN7npka2Us5072hQ-slqQpkdU3fyZoQ)‎

QN
01-17-2014, 10:25 AM
OK, so we have Mark(QN), me, John Yee(R2Egg2Q), Bob Fukushima(Landarc), Tim Dougherty(Groundhog66), Scott Zalkind (Lucky Dog Hot Sauce) and the lady he is dragging with him. Anybody else??
I will get us a table for 6:30.
3416 19th Street
San Francisco, CA 94110
Get directions (https://www.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Hi+Lo+BBQ+3416+19th+Street+San+Francisco+CA&aq=&sll=37.559778,-77.448973&sspn=0.415311,0.749817&ie=UTF8&hq=Hi+Lo+BBQ&hnear=3416+19th+St,+San+Francisco,+California+9411 4&t=m&z=16&iwloc=A&output=embed#)
(415) 874-9921
hilobbqsf.com (http://www.google.com/local_url?dq=Hi+Lo+BBQ+3416+19th+Street+San+Franci sco+CA&q=http://www.hilobbqsf.com/&oi=miw&sa=X&ct=miw_link&cd=1&cad=homepage,cid:5584796880557668965&ei=i1zXUryzEcmQiQLn5YCYAQ&s=ANYYN7npka2Us5072hQ-slqQpkdU3fyZoQ)‎

Great! Thanks Marty. Looking forward to it.

landarc
01-17-2014, 10:50 AM
that poor woman

martyleach
01-17-2014, 11:15 PM
that poor woman
Right??

QN
01-23-2014, 06:49 AM
Great dinner at Hi-Lo BBQ Tuesday night. Thanks to Marty for making the reservation. Non-traditional BBQ, but very tasty. It was good to put some faces with names.

landarc
01-23-2014, 10:51 AM
Good to meet you Mark, that was some good company and grub.