PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Shoulder

c farmer
12-31-2013, 09:47 AM
I had a frozen shoulder in the freezer, put it in the fridge to thaw out on Sunday.

I want to do a overnight smoke with it tonight, but it is still partly frozen.

Should I be concerned? Will it do anything to the meat?

Or should I wait and smoke it another day?

Thanks

katman
12-31-2013, 09:52 AM
I'd let it fully defrost before cooking even if I had to do a quick defrost in water. Maybe do a quick brine.

Diesel Dave
12-31-2013, 09:54 AM
Just soak it in cold water and change the water every 30 minutes until thawed.

You're good to go :thumb:

c farmer
12-31-2013, 10:00 AM
I wont be home till around 6 to put it in water thou.

Fwismoker
12-31-2013, 10:20 AM
I wont be home till around 6 to put it in water thou.
No worries as you could dethaw the whole thing in 6 or so hours in water....it being partially frozen will be a piece of cake.

aawa
12-31-2013, 10:34 AM
A quicker way to do it other than soaking in water, is to put it in your sink in a bowl and then allow the faucet to do a slow and steady drip on it, that will speed up the defrosting. Or if you are in a big hurry, just put it under running water for a while.

Mind you this is not conducive to saving money since you have to pay for water.

c farmer
12-31-2013, 10:38 AM
I am on well water. Only have to pay for the electricity to run the pump.

aawa
12-31-2013, 10:56 AM
I am on well water. Only have to pay for the electricity to run the pump.

Well then, if you want to really speed up your defrost on the shoulder, throw it in the sink and allow the water to run at a drizzle over the shoulder.

I had to do this for the turkey I cooked this year. I had it in the fridge for almost a week and it was still slightly frozen when I checked it the day I was going to brine it. So I pulled it out and ran water over it for about 30-45mins and it was completely thawed out.

I made sure to check on it periodically though as, once it is completely thawed out, you want to stop it from continuing to warm up so you don't bring it into the danger zone for meats.

Fwismoker
12-31-2013, 11:03 AM
Yep all farmers have wells. They don't run that city water out in the sticks. :biggrin1:

aawa
12-31-2013, 11:06 AM
Yep all farmers have wells. They don't run that city water out in the sticks. :biggrin1:

The suburbs is as country as i get. So i didn't even think about it!