PDA

View Full Version : Pheasant

RPA1228
12-25-2013, 03:31 PM
My dad had a friend go pheasant hunting and brought us back a couple. I'm from the south so I've never cooked them before. I'm wondering if smoking them is my best bet. Any good recipes out there? Or should I just brine them and smoke like a chicken?

okiej
12-25-2013, 03:51 PM
I have never cooked pheasant. I have only eaten it once. I think it was wrapped in bacon. Did you try the search at the bottom of this page.

Pappy Q
12-25-2013, 05:13 PM
While I love smoking them, my favorite is to debone the breast, dip in buttermilk, roll in seasoned flour and fry in cast iron skillet. Hard to beat.

utahusker
12-25-2013, 05:33 PM
while i love smoking them, my favorite is to debone the breast, dip in buttermilk, roll in seasoned flour and fry in cast iron skillet. Hard to beat.
+1 ^

Jeffm827i
12-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Marinate in Teriyaki-sauce and wrap in Bacon!

plowin-fire
12-25-2013, 10:45 PM
Like above, cut into inch cubes, marinade in Allegro game tamer overnight, wrap in bacon. Smoke. Delicious.

MossyMO
12-25-2013, 10:53 PM
As previously mentioned is very good or kabobs. Here is a killer chili recipe...

White Pheasant Chili

- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cooked and chopped pheasant breasts
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (4 ounce) cans canned green chile peppers, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 5 (14.5 ounce) cans great Northern beans, undrained
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 10 minutes, or until onions are tender. Add the chicken, chicken broth, green chile peppers, cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low and add the beans. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until heated thoroughly. Pour into individual bowls and top with the cheese.

YetiDave
12-26-2013, 03:35 AM
Pheasant makes for a killer coq au vin

woodpelletsmoker
12-26-2013, 06:51 AM
wrap by dough, bury in a burning charcoal

pbj
12-26-2013, 09:35 AM
Pheasant is also good in a wild rice style casserole. You have me thinking about wrapping a Pheasant breast in pork belly, kind of a Chinese American Porchetta

legendaryhog
12-26-2013, 10:59 AM
While I love smoking them, my favorite is to debone the breast, dip in buttermilk, roll in seasoned flour and fry in cast iron skillet. Hard to beat.

This is my favorite way too.

cowgirl
12-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Marty that chili sounds delicious, thanks for the recipe!
I usually just brine pheasant. The meat reminds me of my guinea hens.

bigjake690
12-26-2013, 12:07 PM

My Mom is from Indiana, so when we would visit we would go pheasant hunting out there and what Pappy Q said is how we usually fixed them. We clipped the wings, cut the breast off the bone, and fixed it just like he said.

Sometimes Grandma or Mom would use what was left over after the wings and breast meat for soup or stew stock. I've had it in Chili like mentioned earlier too and it is amazing in that as well.