PDA

View Full Version : First cook in the Vault

wagge
12-24-2013, 08:02 PM
Fatty- came off great, how can they not

Ribs- Perfect, moist, tender, flavorful, good bark

Bone in Rib eye pulled at 130 also very good. Next time I will pull at 120, bark also got a little mushy

Brisket, tender and moist BUT I wrapped in foil after we pulled it off and the bark got mushy, so not real happy about that. Maybe I should have just let it sit uncovered. I do not remember that problem with my offset but its been 6 years back.

Loaded about 6lb of KBB and added some pecan chunks. Pre heated with weed burner and got it to 230 pretty fast. Fatty about 1 hour, Ribs about 4 hours, Brisket about 7.5 hours

The pit held the temps perfect while we went shopping, and having the Guru to watch the temps. Its 10 hrs later and the pits still running strong so not sure just how long it will go.
It was about 32 out when we started and 60 this afternoon.

I am very impressed with the build quality and ability to hold temp and use very little charcoal.

Any Pitmaker brothers or anyone care to comment on mushy bark please do. Other than that I am happy with the results.

WhiskeyPigBbq
12-24-2013, 08:21 PM
I have had the same problem with my Safe. What I have been doing is not wrapping my brisket and shoulder. The Pitmakers are very tight and dont seem to dry out meat. I am doing my brisket around 300* so its not on the pit for 10+ hours the shorter cook times dont allow the meat to dry out. Once you get used to your smoker you will be able to judge the wood/charcoal/time ratio so that the last part of your smoke will just be heat and no extra smoke if you position the wood chunks correctly.

MI Smoke
12-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Wagge if u are on Facebook, check out Fans of PitMaker.

KBird
12-25-2013, 12:41 PM
I have a Rebel 23, and my theory is that all of the cabinet smokers retain more moisture in them because they don't have the volume of air going thru them that the stick burners do. So you will have moister meat, but not quite as good a bark. I may be dreaming, but that's my theory!

Big Dan
12-25-2013, 12:48 PM
Pics??