PDA

View Full Version : Myron's books!!?!!!

Muscrat
12-17-2013, 03:47 PM
I'm thinking about picking up one of Myron's books but don't know which would be better. Smokin with Myron or Everyday BBQ.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

hogzillas
12-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Smoking seems to be more geared to competition style & Everyday more towards backyarders.

mcyork28
12-17-2013, 03:54 PM
I have smokin with Myron and it is very much geared for competition. If I had it to do over again I would look at Everyday.

I prefer Wicked Good BBQ.

ButtBurner
12-17-2013, 03:55 PM
I have smokin with Myron and it is very much geared for competition. If I had it to do over again I would look at Everyday.

I prefer Wicked Good BBQ.
I agree

Offthehook
12-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Do you plan on doing comps or back yard cooking?

buccaneer
12-17-2013, 04:01 PM
either one, just three pages and you get the charcoal chimney going pretty good...

castlepines
12-17-2013, 04:09 PM
either one, just three pages and you get the charcoal chimney going pretty good...

Which one has a chapter devoted to the virtues of generous use of lighter fluid?

bigbeef24
12-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Paul kirks championship BBQ is a good one and second the wicked good BBQ!

Muscrat
12-17-2013, 04:16 PM
As I have said in some other post we sold our house and the 5 of us will be living on a 400 acre plot in a 30' 5th wheel I have. We are hoping after the first of the year there will be some houses come up for sale in our area if not we will build. So while there I'll have endless time to cut firewood and run the smoker and the cowboy cooker. I was wanting a variety of recipes to cook so the family doesn't get tire of the same ol same ol if ya know what I mean.

CharredApron
12-17-2013, 05:23 PM
As I have said in some other post we sold our house and the 5 of us will be living on a 400 acre plot in a 30' 5th wheel I have. We are hoping after the first of the year there will be some houses come up for sale in our area if not we will build. So while there I'll have endless time to cut firewood and run the smoker and the cowboy cooker. I was wanting a variety of recipes to cook so the family doesn't get tire of the same ol same ol if ya know what I mean.
This may sound funny and I mean no disrespect, but "The Joy of Cooking" is about the most comprehensive cookbook in circulation still.

dadsr4
12-17-2013, 05:34 PM
This may sound funny and I mean no disrespect, but "The Joy of Cooking" is about the most comprehensive cookbook in circulation still.
This. Your smoker is a wood fired oven. Spend the money on meat.

Muscrat
12-17-2013, 05:42 PM
Ok yep I'm an idiot. I see what ur saying. I looked up the joy of cooking cookbook and was thinking we are way off here. But I got it figured out now!! LOL

16Adams
12-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Your public library will have a gold mine in cook books, including some written or attributed to famous TV/comp pitmasters Feathers Fins and Fur are meat and fire. Where you can shine and make it memorable is in the sides and desserts. And for that, that BC cookbook is pretty neat.

I'mjust guessing that storage for leftovers would be minimal. That would be my problem, adjusting the cook to come out zero leftovers.

And just to stay on topic. I've never bought your mentioned preferred authors books-and probably never will.

Muscrat
12-17-2013, 05:50 PM
I've got 3 boys. Usually don't have left overs. We are over run with racoons. Might learn to cook them!!

Okie Sawbones
12-17-2013, 06:51 PM
I have both. I disagree somewhat -- I am a backyarder who significantly upped their game using Smoking. I rarely use the Everyday. Now that I am a lot more comfortable with my cooking skills, I go my own way, but I learned good techniques from Myron's book. I learned from many other books and web sites as well. This site is a wealth of information. I refer to the search feature often. I am now able to look at someone's technique and can tell if 'it is for me'. I'd never heard of spatchcocking a turkey before I read about it here. Now that is all I do. It is rare that I have a screw up anymore, because I am nutty like Tuffy -- I keep sheets on my various types of meat to cook, weight, fuel, which cooker I'm using, etc. I like idiot sheets. :becky: I highly recommend Smoking with Myron Mixon. I also recommend the Big Bob Gibson book, and I also like the Legends of Texas BBQ. Have fun!!

Johnny Ca$h
12-17-2013, 06:59 PM
you can do as I did and get the books from the library for a preview of them before you buy

ncstan
12-17-2013, 08:22 PM
I have both of Myron's books and have got good ideas from both .But if I had to choose between the two I would pick Smoking with Myron . Both books go well with a cup of coffee and a cigar .

Okie Sawbones
12-17-2013, 08:36 PM
I have both of Myron's books and have got good ideas from both .But if I had to choose between the two I would pick Smoking with Myron . Both books go well with a cup of coffee and a cigar .

Ummmmm... maybe a single barrel bourbon and a cigar. :becky:

GA1dad
12-18-2013, 07:32 AM
I have them both as well. As stated earlier, they are completely different books, but both have their own merits. I used his recipe in "Smokin'" to do a brisket this past year, and it turned out very good. I've not yet tried any recipes from "Everyday",,, but I probably will this spring.

That said,,, I've gotten the Big Bob Gibson book from the library twice,,,,, I'll probably be buying that one soon too.

dbq
12-18-2013, 10:45 AM
I've got 3 boys. Usually don't have left overs. We are over run with racoons. Might learn to cook them!!Make sure it a young one and they are quite tasty baked.

jestridge
12-18-2013, 11:23 AM
I never buy cook books anymore , to much free information on the web

grantw
12-18-2013, 11:36 AM
If you buy online you may be able to get both with free shipping, chapters up here ships for free if you hit like 25 bucks, I have em both there both decent, i prolly refer to smokin more though

Resesgrill
12-18-2013, 01:24 PM
smoking!!

K-Barbecue
12-18-2013, 04:57 PM
Myron's BBQ school was the best money I've ever "invested" in BBQ. The smokin book will give you about 2/3 of the real recipes but not the hands on experience.

Muscrat
12-18-2013, 05:00 PM
I would really like to attend the school but turning loose of that money is pretty hard to do.

Riz58
12-18-2013, 05:06 PM

Since you are in Tuscola, hop over to Buffalo Gap and Perini's Ranch and grab his cookbook. It has a lot of good recipes.

Hoppy
12-18-2013, 06:44 PM
The Late Karen Putnam's Flower of the Flames Second Edition is a Good Read no matter how new or advanced you are in BBQ.

stepheneleven
12-18-2013, 07:01 PM

Oh, snap!

Happy Hapgood
12-18-2013, 07:06 PM
Smoking just kinda made it click for me then I went off in my own direction with the equipment I have. It provided good insight.

Muscrat
12-18-2013, 07:15 PM
Since you are in Tuscola, hop over to Buffalo Gap and Perini's Ranch and grab his cookbook. It has a lot of good recipes.
Your right its really good a Perini's but you have to take out a loan to eat there. We've been there several times. I get the Cheese Burger.