PDA

View Full Version : Wasted Some Coal

DjPorkchop
12-15-2013, 12:14 AM
Or did I?

Nah, it was productive so it's all good!

After my creosote fiasco, I got the UDS cleaned out and re seasoned. I was out in the garage working on the old International 424 and the UDS was just calling my name over and over and over.

So I decided to light it up! It was way to windy outside so I opened a window and left my walk in door open and let er' rip. I was basically testing out the started coal to heat ratios.

UDS setup is 4 3/4" pipe nipples with elbows for exhaust. 3 3/4 " intakes. 2 w/ ball valves on 18" risers and a nipple with cap on back.

Here are my results. (I did not use 4 exhaust for this test. I used the 2" bung as was suggested).

1: with a few 5 or 6 good sized coals in a chimney ashed over dumped on coal basket I let the basket sit in drum with intakes open and no lid for 20 minutes. Sweet blue was rolling. I placed the lid on and it quickly came up to 300 and stayed there for an hour rolling sweet blue the whole time. Then snuffed it out.

2: a few shots of Captain Morgan and a few games of pool later, I lit a half a chimney of coal and dumped in basket and let it sit for another 15 or 20 minutes wide open intakes with no lid. Man was the blue rolling! I left all intakes wide open and placed my lid on and it PROMPTLY came up to 400. There it sat for 2 hours and never faltered.

3: After a few more shots of Captain Morgan and another game of pool and a few songs later, I tossed on some Left over ham that I had. You know the skin with fat and some meat parts??? Now at this time, the blue had been rolling for about 3 hours. I only left the ham on for around 35-40 minutes then brought it in to wifey. She took a bite and I think she might have fell in love with me all over again! :becky:

So as it turns out, the 4 3/4" elbowed exhaust is no more. I will use the 2" bung instead all the time from now on. Another lesson I learned is how much coal to use to start it for how hot I want it to get. Also, I learned one of the most VALUABLE lessons, let the fire get all happy before putting the lid on. Now I hope this will all stay in my mind so I never choke a fire again and get creosote.

And no Pr0n of the ham. lol it wasn't worth it. Just some odds and ends scraps. And the left over fat and skin is going directly in the ham and beans for the wife tomorrow.

Take care everyone and happy Q'ing!

Ray

ebijack
12-15-2013, 05:14 AM
Nice, now it's time to start building your next one :becky:

sliding_billy
12-15-2013, 06:51 AM
Man, I've lit the smoker just to light the smoker (testing random crap) and not even cooked anything.

IamMadMan
12-15-2013, 07:33 AM
Glad the cook was successful and you found the happy cooking setting for your UDS.

93vpmod
12-15-2013, 08:27 AM
Glad you have it figured out. What's next on the menu?

peeps
12-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Sounds like just a fun day to me! :wink:

Bludawg
12-15-2013, 09:04 AM
I reckon my magic 2X4 worked :-P

DjPorkchop
12-15-2013, 07:07 PM
I reckon my magic 2X4 worked :-P

Yes, that it did. :thumb: I took all of what you and everyone else told me and had a real nice test session and got lots of good results and answers.

What's next on the menu? For Xmas day I had got an order for ribs and some pulled pork to go with everything else being cooked by the wife and in laws. I am thinking of doing the butts the day before and reheating Xmas day and cooking the ribs, and I am adding fattys and MOINKS on xmas day.

In the mean time, I don't see anything serious coming up besides the usual Fatty and MOINKS. I am sure I'll toss on some brats or some other sausages.

I have a deep freeze full of FRESH venison. I have never ate any of it on a smoker. Does it work? Does it not? I am not a venison person by trade. Don't like the gamey taste actually. When this one got skinned in my back yard, the kid ran a hose through it for a good while to wash out all blood and when he butchered, I saw hardly any of the nasty silver skin left. BONUS!