PDA

View Full Version : New UDS Build.......Maybe

mcyork28
12-09-2013, 02:15 PM
I am interested in building a UDS but am not entirely convinced yet. I have gone through countless threads on this subject on this site and there is a lot of good information but I have a couple of questions that I am hoping the seasoned vets can help me with.

1. I found a couple of food grade drums that contained safflower oil for $15.00 each that look like they are in good shape. I have not contacted the seller yet but considering what they held I am making the assumption for now that they are lined. I have read of people burning out the lining and other people having them sand blasted. My question is how difficult is the burn out? if I drill some intakes at the bottom and light an entire back of Kingsford will that do the trick?

2. I have also made the assumption that the black paint that is currently on the drums is not high heat. Will the burnout, or future cooks, destroy or discolor the current paint? If so what is the solution? will the existing paint need to be removed before adding a high heat solution?

Thanks in advance.

SmittyJonz
12-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Red liners are harder to burn off than the tan - most use wood for burnoutas it gets much hotter than charcoal. I used 3-4' sections of thick tree branches. During a Hot Burnout the outside paint will blister off or burn off so you sand it and use High Temp Paint on outside - Grill Paint or High Temp Engine Paint from Autoparts store.

If you don't wanna hassle with building one - order a Pit Barrel Cooker for $269 shipped - basically a 30 gallon UDS - slightly Different. :wink:

http://pitbarrelcooker.com

cpw
12-09-2013, 02:24 PM
If you are able to get the barrel sandblasted for a reasonable amount of money, I'd definitely go that route. That way you can get the liner out and the paint at the same time.

What I did with mine (and I wasn't as concerned about getting the liner all the way out as some people are), was drill the 3 intake holes, dump a bag of charcoal and a crapload of whatever wood I could find, and let it burn. This took care of the majority of the liner AND burned off most of the paint on the outside as well.

Once the burn was complete, I used a wire wheel on my drill and brushed off the rest of the liner and the paint on the outside. I then repainted the outside with high heat paint.

Fwismoker
12-09-2013, 02:28 PM
A good burn and wire brush (angle grinder or drill) will work...weed burner and wire brush or the sand blasting.

Build your own drum or Big Poppas Smokers Drum kits are incredibly nice. They grill and sear as well.

funugy
12-09-2013, 02:35 PM
1. They are not necessarily lined. I got 2 barrels that held coconut oil and they were unlined. Only way for you to find out is to look at them. I don't think a bag of Kingsford will get the barrel hot enough to burn the paint or liner off on it's own. I started my fire with some coals but added wood splits and scrap that I had laying around. If I had a liner in mine I would have just got mine sandblasted first then still done a high heat burn just to be sure to kill off anything that may have been in there.

2. The exterior paint on mine burned off when I did my burn. Once my barrel cooled I pressure washed it inside and out, then took a "green weenie" and hot soap to it to clean it up. Once it dried I sprayed the exterior with regular black bbq paint.

Bludawg
12-09-2013, 03:14 PM
The stock paint will hold up just fine under "Normal" cooking temps. Removing a liner is a Royal PIA !!!Been there done that aint going back!!!! a 15.00 drum that needs the liner removed( Sanblasting 50.00) or hrs of your time IMO is not worth it spend the money, get a refurbished Drum for less than 50( I can get them for 30) save the time & aggravation and money. Recon drums are build ready (drill a few holes & get to cooking) the money you save can go to likker & meat.

KSroadliner
12-09-2013, 04:25 PM
What he said.........did it once never again!!

mcyork28
12-09-2013, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback. As it turns out the barrels were closed top. I found a local company to sell me a new barrel with no liner or paint for $80. I probably would have spent at least that on the used barrel if you take sandblasting into consideration.

I have looked at the Pit Barrel Cooker. Is there an advantage to using that instead of a 55 Gallon version? Is there a difference in how they cook?

I have seen a lot of people make a fire basket out of a metal mesh type of material. You regularly see the same material used for larger smoker cooking grates and typically forms a diamond pattern. Can somebody tell me what that material is called and where it can be sourced? I looked at Home Depot today but I didn't see any.

Thanks,

rajewest
12-09-2013, 06:06 PM
The metal most use is called expanded metal. At HD it is normally located on the aisle with the nuts and bolts, should find it in the same place as the angle iron.

mcyork28
12-09-2013, 08:31 PM
The metal most use is called expanded metal. At HD it is normally located on the aisle with the nuts and bolts, should find it in the same place as the angle iron.

Thanks,

I found some online with free shipping pretty quickly.

mcyork28
12-11-2013, 10:01 AM
I am ordering a new drum from a manufacturer and I have the option of taking it painted or raw. They can't guarantee that it won't rust from the time it's made till the time I pick it up, which I get. My question is do you think it would be easier to remove the existing paint or deal with the rust? I want to apply high heat paint.

Thanks,

SmittyJonz
12-11-2013, 10:51 AM
You are gonna have to sand it either way, guess I'd get a painted one.

sincitydisciple01
12-11-2013, 10:57 AM
I am ordering a new drum from a manufacturer and I have the option of taking it painted or raw. They can't guarantee that it won't rust from the time it's made till the time I pick it up, which I get. My question is do you think it would be easier to remove the existing paint or deal with the rust? I want to apply high heat paint.

If it were me, I'd go w/ the painted drum. You can always repaint it down the road. I haven't had much luck w/ any of the spray paints (grill, high heat or engine block/brake). But the grill paint in the quart can has worked incredibly well. Clean and prep the surface and then roll it on with a cheap, foam roller. Give it a few days to dry and it works like a charm!

oifmarine2003
12-11-2013, 11:42 AM
All the drums I get have had coconut or soy oil in them and they are unlined...... SO, don't assume they have a liner.

SmokinJohn
12-11-2013, 01:28 PM
By the way, if you decide to do a burnout properly, then all of the non_VHT paint on the barrel will go away.

The "OMG! Don't ever do that again if you want to sleep in this house" method requires you to load unlit coals in the bottom of the barrel (after you have coated the insides with peanut oil), followed by wood, whose ends have been *cough* gently soaked in peanut oil, followed by a chimney full of lit coals.

This is what you are aiming for (without the obvious dangerous and stupid moves of doing it so close to flammable objects, and leaving your elbow and ball valve attached):

http://www.buyfatcat.com/images/thats_a_fire.jpg
Please give yourself a 3' minimum radius from all flammable objects (like I didn't). Have a hose and a fire extinguisher nearby (this I did).

I take no responsibility for what happens, though. This is for demonstration purposes only. No actual animals were harmed in the dissemination of this information.

mcyork28
12-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Thanks,

I am picking up a painted unlined drum either Thursday or Friday.

pbj
12-11-2013, 04:57 PM
No liners in drums that had food grade oil in them. (most of the time)
Curly