PDA

View Full Version : barbeque rubs

promad
12-03-2013, 07:54 PM
I know this has probally been done before but i'm having a hard time finding rubs locally , what are some the popular rubs everybody on here use ?

BMCSRET
12-03-2013, 09:17 PM
There are a lot to choose from out there but I prefer Fiesta rubs from San Antonio. https://www.fiestaspices.com/index.asp

JazzyBadger
12-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Simply Marvelous is going to be a popular contender. I've just recently bought some for the first time but have yet to try them, so I can't comment on their flavors personally, only their popularity.

I have tried some rubs from Texas BBQ Rub, and am a fan of those.

BBQDaddio
12-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Oakridge bbq rubs are awesome. Here locally in California I really like pappys seasoning and costco seasoning.

I personally make my go own basic santa Maria style seasoning.

A lot of brothers here like Plowboys and simply marvelous.

cowgirl
12-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Big Poppa Smoker rubs are great...also Simply Marvelous. Both are Brethren members too.

okiej
12-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Simply Marvelous and Plowboys (yardbirds) are very popular around here. I have used neither so far as they are not available locally. I will get end try both though soon. I am happy with McCormicks grill mates pork rub on my butts, but am still in search for my brisket, ribs and chicken other than salt and pepper.

Bonewagon
12-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Simply Marvelous, Plowboys, Dizzy Pig, The Rub Co., and Harry Soo's Chicken rub are my standards. I'm going to get some Oakridge rubs next.

TSGlover
12-03-2013, 09:48 PM
I'm thinking that I would like to have a variety of rubs for chicken rather than one basic rub, such as an Indian spice, a jerk spice, a Moroccan spice etc. I noticed that dizzy Pig has a wide range of rubs that might meet my needs. Has anyone tried their various rubs?

Fatmike
12-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Check out big poppa smokers web site...They have an internet special called West Coast Offense Pack only available for 48 hours starting Cyber Monday 8:00AM PST 12/2 and ends at 8:00AM PST on Wednesday 12/4! With a savings of almost $75 off I ordered it last night. It has about 15 different rubs and a free T shirt. Looks like I will be rubbing a lot of Meat soon!!!

okiej
12-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Since we are on this topic. Is Simply Marvelous, Plowboys available in stores or just on line. I have never seen it in a store so far and would like to try some.

Fatmike
12-03-2013, 10:08 PM
I've bought Plowboys at the Bass Pro Shop

Smoothsmoke
12-03-2013, 10:38 PM
Big Rons
Oakridge

Okie Sawbones
12-03-2013, 10:50 PM
I like my own rubs as much as most commercial rubs, but I do like Plowboys Yard Bird, Williams Rib Tickler, Tatonka Dust, and Simply Marvelous Peppered Cow.

castlepines
12-04-2013, 01:27 AM
Check out big poppa smokers web site...They have an internet special called West Coast Offense Pack only available for 48 hours starting Cyber Monday 8:00AM PST 12/2 and ends at 8:00AM PST on Wednesday 12/4! With a savings of almost $75 off I ordered it last night. It has about 15 different rubs and a free T shirt. Looks like I will be rubbing a lot of Meat soon!!!

This one I got. Thanks for the assist.

Diesel Dave
12-04-2013, 05:00 AM
there are a lot of great rubs here from Brethren in the vendors section.

I have the West Coast Offense Pack (https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/store/rubs/west-coast-offense-pack) from Big Poppa Smokers and I can tell you their rubs are really good. With this pack you'll have a variety of rubs to try and see where your taste takes you.
I've ordered some from Oak Ridge BBQ as well. I hear their Black Ops is the rub for briskets. Also have the sample pack coming too

IamMadMan
12-04-2013, 07:14 AM
I know this has probally been done before but i'm having a hard time finding rubs locally , what are some the popular rubs everybody on here use ?

There are many good rubs out there, but not everyone will agree that one single rub is better than all the others. BBQ rubs are just too subjective to our own individual tastes. The like or dislike of any rub is a matter of personal taste. Taste is very subjective to so many influential factors;

Culture - Our nationality and culture defines specific types of cooking which uses specific flavors and spices. (IE: Italian)

Region - In the United States, as well as around the world, different regions are know for different tastes (IE: Cajun)

Personal - Personal tastes are as diverse as the day is long. Some like sweet, some like salty, some like heat, and others in combinations. Personal tastes and likes are the most subjective factors in finding a good rub.

Because personal tastes are so diverse, you may love the rub, but others may dislike it. Some of us will find some rubs too salty, while other can be too sweet, or even overpowering with a single spice.

There are a lot of good suggestions given above for some really good rubs, don't be afraid to give some of them a try.

I personally would suggest to try a Sample Pack from OakRidge BBQ (http://www.oakridgebbq.com/?product=sample-rub-pack). Of all the rubs I have tried, I find them to be lower in sugar and salt content than many others. The samples will allow you to try a variety at minimal expense and see which way your tastes lead you. You can't go wrong, a sample pack of 5 different rubs will cost you $4.95 which is cheaper than the actual cost to ship them.

Good luck on your quest to find a rub. Let us know what you find and like.

aawa
12-04-2013, 07:59 AM
Simply Marvelous line is awesome. Get their sampler pack and be amazed
Plowboy's Yardbird is great on pork and chicken. It can be salty so go easy on cuts like ribs and chicken, but you can dump it on pork butts.
Butcher's BBQ Premium rub - Great on ribs and chicken.

pwa
12-05-2013, 01:20 AM
I've tried alot of the above mentioned rubs, and alot are really good. But I'm a Huge fan of Big Rons and would highly highly suggest get his sampler!! But grab Oakridge, Simple Marvelous and try them out as well. I did and ended up with Big Rons!!

Clint

popeye
12-05-2013, 08:37 AM
I make up my own rubs . But i do like the hog wild rub from mn.

kds9547
12-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Cant go wrong with Plowboys and SM rubs. Oakridge is great also. Dizzy Pig has been my go to lately. Everything they make is fresh and outstanding. The Ragin River on salmon is awesome and the Raising the Steaks is a real crowd pleaser.

jestridge
12-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Lawery seasoning is hard to beat also cheap, for beef salt fresh ground pepper and garlic powder

Pa_BBQ
12-05-2013, 10:02 AM
I love Plowboys, and its available at Amazon which is a plus for me since I get free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Plowboys-Yardbird-Rub-14-oz/dp/B002TT46DM/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1386259230&sr=1-1&keywords=plowboys+yardbird+rub

NeilH
12-05-2013, 10:14 AM
I've bought Plowboys at the Bass Pro Shop

I just ordered some from there. Free shipping with promo code: CYBER13

TSGlover
12-05-2013, 10:22 AM
I ordered from Dizzy Pig the Jamaican Firewalk, Swamp Venom, Bombay Curryish, Mediterraneanish and a five pack sampler. Primary aim is to provide some variety to chicken and pork loin.

Okie Sawbones
12-05-2013, 10:48 AM
I just ordered some from there. Free shipping with promo code: CYBER13

:thumb: :thumb:

tasterner
12-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Big Rons
Oakridge

Add Plowboys and you've got a pretty darn good trifecta!

Mister Bob
12-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Simply Marvelous, Plowboys, The Slabs, Cimarron Docs and Dizzy Pig are among my favorites. Many of the others mentioned above are also great.

There is enough variety from each of these manufacturers to keep you busy for quite a long while trying to figure out your own personal preferences.

BASSER
12-05-2013, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the "head-up" Mike.

scm1226
12-05-2013, 03:20 PM
3eyez hands down