PDA

View Full Version : Reds, Whites, and BBQ Festival

Neil
05-09-2006, 03:41 AM
Stopped by a local winery yesterday and plopped down the $50 entry fee for their BBQ comp to be held on July 2nd. Grand prize is a $2800 Kitchen Aid gas grill and 1st prize is $500. The competition is acually a sauce comp and you must use one of the winery's products in your sauce. The only meat to be prepared are ribs, bb's or spares, cooks choice. Looks like it will be kind of fun. To check out all the details go to: www.roundbarnwinery.com/bbq_festival06.php
Last years winner boiled his ribs before finishing them up on a gas grill!!!

Neil
05-10-2006, 07:31 AM
Being this is a sauce competition with 25% of the judging being done by the public and @25% ea. from three judges: the winery owner, a chef from Chicago, and a local restaraunt owner; what type of sauce would you make knowing you must use one of the winery's products as an ingredient? A traditional tomato base bbq sauce or something more artsy-fartsy gourmet type? This is an event that is more likely to draw the Chicago toursist/ wealthy summer resident crowd than the locals.

Jeff_in_KC
05-10-2006, 08:06 AM
Sounds like maybe artsy-fartsy to me, Neil. I don't know many of those kinda folks in your area. So if it's drawing out of Chicago and the wealthy summer residents, I might be inclined to go more gourmet.

Neil
05-10-2006, 08:29 AM
That is kind of what I was thinking, maybe a chablis base with apricot vinigar and puree'd smoked peaches with vidalia onions. How's that for tooty fruity foo foo bbq? Stop by the Watkins dealer for some mango extract to throw for good measure. This is going to be interesting.

beerguy
05-10-2006, 10:32 AM
now see if I was at the table, I'd be asking you how much beer did you spill into this sauce to cut that nasty wine taste. But im not high faluting enuf to be asked!