PDA

View Full Version : BBQ menu

MaximumJEFF
11-23-2013, 02:38 PM
I may have an opportunity to work at a new BBQ joint that's about to open. I'm versed in most meats. But, I'm not much af a "sides" cook. I'm also a less is more kinda guy. I'd like to practice a few dishes to present to the owners.
If you were opening a BBQ restaurant, what are your have to have menu items?

Brisket/brisket sammiches
Ribs
Pulled pork/pulled pork sammiches
Chicken
Pork steaks
Burgers

Spaghetti
Baked beans
Mac n cheese
Corn bread
Fries
Cheesy potatoe casserole
Baked/mashed potatoes

mrbill
11-23-2013, 02:41 PM
sausage
coleslaw
cobbler
ice cream
cream corn

greatdaneheaven
11-23-2013, 03:00 PM
ABT:thumb:

jshull
11-23-2013, 03:07 PM
Turkey!

IamMadMan
11-23-2013, 03:55 PM
I would think to keep the menu simple would cause less confusion and less waste. You could offer different choices on different days if you wanted to switch things up...

I agree with mrbill on the sausage and coleslaw....

dwfisk
11-23-2013, 04:03 PM
Gotta have: add hotlinks & maybe turkey
Nice/novelty: brisket chili, beans on the side

landarc
11-23-2013, 04:09 PM
Brisket/brisket sammiches (yes)
Ribs (yes)
Pulled pork/pulled pork sammiches (yes)
Chicken (yes)*
Pork steaks (yes)
Burgers (no)

Spaghetti (no)
Baked beans (yes)
Mac n cheese (yes)
Corn bread (yes)
Fries(no)
Cheesy potatoe casserole(no)
Baked/mashed potatoes(no)

* If it were me, I would offer two chicken options, pulled chicken and rear quarters.

I think I would want to offer cornbread and Texas Toast, I say no to burgers and fries, as that is a different process and food altogether. I would offer greens though.

I love BBQ spaghetti, but, doubt I would offer it as a regular menu item. Now, all of this doesn't matter if you are running a large sit down place. But, for a BBQ joint, simple is better.

MilitantSquatter
11-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Do the owners have a vision of what type of place this will be ?

Meaning is it more high end or no-frills ? Are they looking to cater to the mass market (meaning multi-regional style, cartoon pigs etc.. or are they going for a particular theme ?

This may help as well.

Bludawg
11-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Not to be harsh but asking that here IMO will get you no where at least with a concise answer. What is expected in Mo as proper aint the same as it is in Nc. and that is different in Ca, and all are off based In Tx. Most places here you get White bread meat By the Lb (Brisket, sausage & Ribs) sides are dill pickles and onions and maybe jalapenos you choice water beer or soda. Now if you hit an upscale place Fries, Tot's, Onion rings, Beans & Tater salad and may be nanner puddin or cake.
My advise is to look at what is being served in YOUR area that is YOUR market. Then find tasty easy cost effective recipes based on your resaerch.

landarc
11-23-2013, 04:32 PM
I have to admit, I keep asking folks why we can't do a real Texas style BBQ place in California. Just meat by the pound and bread, onions and pickles on the side. I can't seem to get anyone who thinks it would work. Unless I put it in a tortilla.

Pyle's BBQ
11-23-2013, 04:44 PM
One thing that has not been mentioned, is how are you going to hold the items? That will be your biggest challenge. Make a product that will hold on a steam table and not degrade or continue to cook. Another thing to consider, what will be done with the leftovers?

One thing I did was to make sure the recipes were simple to recreate. You won't be there every day and someone else will have to make what you made and make it taste the same.

Mo-Dave
11-23-2013, 04:53 PM
A good bread pudding.
Corn on the cob 1/2 on a stick, or whole cob. The bbq restaurant Bandannas does it in the deep fryer, looks like it was done on a grill.
Banana pudding.
Dump cake.
BBQ Sundae. Do a search if you are not familiar, it is a meal though not a side or desert.
Cucumber salad.
Dave

Woody1911a1
11-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Beer :)

cornbread and mac n cheese 2nd and 3rd

Hollando
11-24-2013, 03:24 AM
I would try to keep it simple.
not too many items, but the ones you have should absolutely be
best of the best blow your competition out of town meals.

Desert Hawg
11-24-2013, 09:23 AM
I always like fried okra..

Bbq Bubba
11-24-2013, 10:29 AM
I have to admit, I keep asking folks why we can't do a real Texas style BBQ place in California. Just meat by the pound and bread, onions and pickles on the side. I can't seem to get anyone who thinks it would work. Unless I put it in a tortilla.

Unless you got a great Pitmaster with an already big name it wouldn't.

ONLY in Texas are there enough Hipsters who will stand in line all morning for BBQ. :cool:

Rockin W Smokers
11-24-2013, 01:44 PM
I agree with what BLUDAWG said "My advise is to look at what is being served in YOUR area that is YOUR market. Then find tasty easy cost effective recipes based on your research."
I would stick to a few sides you do really well versus several ok sides, I would also include the most popular side in the country "mac & cheese" just make sure that they all hold up well on the steam table for several hours. Don't forget green stuff for the girls and remember that the K.I.S.S method works well for the sides & not just the meat.

HankB
11-25-2013, 07:42 AM
I agree with what BLUDAWG said "My advise is to look at what is being served in YOUR area that is YOUR market.Is that really a good idea? I'm not a restauranteur but it seems to me like that's a recipe to be just another place. I think you need to do something with your menu to distinguish your place from the others. Solid sides can be a part of that.
Then find tasty easy cost effective recipes based on your research."
I would stick to a few sides you do really well versus several ok sides, I would also include the most popular side in the country "mac & cheese" just make sure that they all hold up well on the steam table for several hours. Don't forget green stuff for the girls and remember that the K.I.S.S method works well for the sides & not just the meat.
Stick with simple steam table food and you relegate your restaurant to something that is not IMO aiming very high. I guess you have to think about the market you are aiming for.

I'd also look at what can be done for vegetarians and perhaps even vegans. I know that folk who don't like meat are sneered at here, but going into business with that sort of attitude will limit your potential market.

The biggest challenge that keeps me from thinking about a restaurant is the need to produce exceptional food for every customer that walks through that door. I can produce good food on my terms but considering the challenge of getting everything ready at the same time, doing so from open to close looks like quite a challenge.