PDA

View Full Version : smoker made from a refrigerator

littleben
11-21-2013, 06:41 PM
Sorry if there is already a thread on this. Looking for information on converting and older fridge to a pellet smoker. I can buy the pellet smoker oart, just wondering about the fridge part. Does it work well or is it a bad deal. What to watch out for etc. Thanks

dport7
11-21-2013, 06:50 PM
I made one from an old Small chest type. It had a stainless interior and stainless racks. The compressor was in the middle on the bottom, So I yanked it, made a hole big enough for a large steel coffee can, wrapped a element from a old microwave
"the browning element" around the coffee can.
Worked real well, I had it for 5 or so years, till I got the Oklahoma joe.

Just make sure the inside is ok, not plastic sides or galvanized shelves.
I'm sure it will work for you.
Hope this helps.

Teleking
11-21-2013, 06:51 PM
What to watch out for etc. Thanks

Plastic

Gettinit
11-21-2013, 07:34 PM
Plastic

Great place to put a keg. Just need a few plumbing supplies and a tap on the outside of the refer.

Fwismoker
11-21-2013, 07:39 PM
You want to build a pellet pro version huh? One of those i saw on their fan page was bad a**.

http://pelletprogrill.com/customer.html

Give Dennis a call, he's a great guy and would love to help out anyway he can.

Woody1911a1
11-21-2013, 07:41 PM
LOL with an evil grin ....... my neighbors already hate my smoking back yard and my wife would divorce me , now for the down side ......

dwfisk
11-21-2013, 07:53 PM
My very first smoker (+40 years ago) was a fridge with a small hibatchi in the bottom with just a handfull of charcoal and some bay magnolia chunks for smoke and heat to do mullet - outstanding! I would think a pellet addition would be great. My advice: try to fnd an old (?antique) unit with a porcelean coated steel interior, plastic could get nasty! Just my $0.02.

Teleking
11-21-2013, 07:54 PM
Great place to put a keg. Just need a few plumbing supplies and a tap on the outside of the refer.

Yep got one of them in the basement. Home brew double tap!

littleben
11-21-2013, 08:47 PM
Would be an older all metal unit, seems like it would have advantage of being well insulted, do I need to upgrade the door gasket?

dwfisk
11-22-2013, 06:58 AM
Would be an older all metal unit, seems like it would have advantage of being well insulted, do I need to upgrade the door gasket?

Yes an insulated all steel, usually porcelain coated is what you want. If you think the gaskets need replacing, take a look here: http://www.bbqgaskets.com/

jestridge
11-22-2013, 08:31 AM
Too much trouble! Maybe ok for a cold smoker