PDA

View Full Version : Bite through Chicken, What's the big secret?

Invicta Q
11-19-2013, 07:09 AM
In competitions I cannot be the only person that has spent hours and hours scrapping the fat off the chicken skin to obtain a bite through texture, or pounded it with meat tenderiser with hundreds of needles to get the fat to seep out whilst cooking!! I recently watched Darryl Mast live feed with the Smoker builder team at the Royal and found it very informative. There was a mention of his process, but not all of how they get that bite through chicken by using a process called sweating? This looked so much easier and a lot of saved time could be used other things than Scrapping/pounding. Can someone explain how this is done, or forward me to a post/explanation.
As it is driving me mad.
:mad2:

Regards

Invicta.

Wneill20
11-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Follow this link it may be what you are looking for. They recomend that you let them sweat at least two hours and twenty four hours if you can.
http://www.patiopitmasters.com/chicken.html

Bludawg
11-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Mayonnaise!

Mo-Dave
11-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Mayonnaise is the easiest or you can go this route Pics! Award Winning Competition Chicken (http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/bbq-contests/894-award-winning-competition-chicken.html)

Linky no worky.

Mo-Dave
11-19-2013, 11:10 AM
I'll take a stab at it. First I happen to like chicken skin, but I do like it either crispy or bite through, I hate it when it all comes off when you try biting into a thigh.

Take the thighs trimmed up nice and neat, don't bother scraping the fat off. Place on smoker grate at around 250 or so. Cooke for approximately 35 or 40 minutes. Place in foil pan poor sauce over chicken about halfway up to top of chicken, making sure each thigh is coated with sauce, but not completely submerged, cover with foil. Let them cook for about 35 minutes, take out of pan, place thighs on rack, keep pan of sauce in smoker if you have room to keep hot. Cook about 10 or 15 minutes, remove, sauce, and enjoy bite through chicken, same goes for breast if you desire them instead.

Without digging into my files and notes I can only give you approximate times for each step, keep an eye on the internal temp and make the call as to what and when to do the next step. Practice this at home to get times right.
Dave

Bludawg
11-19-2013, 11:23 AM
Linky no worky. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I guess some one for got to pay the server tab.

SkinnyVinny
11-19-2013, 12:10 PM
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I guess some one for got to pay the server tab.

It's a really good site too, but it's been down for a while now.. pickledpig was a good place to go for info. Hopefully they get it back up and running.

RobKC
11-19-2013, 12:16 PM
I know Paul got screwed around by that BBQbug site that started hosting his content back in late 2010. He moved from KC to Oregon in the last year or so and was trying to get the PickledPig back online.

peeps
11-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Is this the link?

http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894

ajstrider
11-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Wow what a great writeup!

jshull
11-19-2013, 01:14 PM
It's a really good site too, but it's been down for a while now.. pickledpig was a good place to go for info. Hopefully they get it back up and running.

link works for me! heck of a write up too.

checkrd past
11-19-2013, 01:35 PM
[QUOTE=Bludawg;2699052]Mayonnaise![/QUOTE

Yep did my first spatchcocked chicken with the mayo and it was the best skin results ever. I m sold

kevinc
11-19-2013, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=Bludawg;2699052]Mayonnaise![/QUOTE

Yep did my first spatchcocked chicken with the mayo and it was the best skin results ever. I m sold

What was the process you followed? Did you just use the mayo as an adherent for your rub? Under and/or over the skin?

TroyA65
11-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Wow! That is an amazing thread, thanks for posting guys!!

cpw
11-19-2013, 03:30 PM
The pickled pig thread is awesome, but he still scrapes the skin. Invicta was asking for a way to get bite through with out scraping. Does mayo work for this?

Invicta Q
11-19-2013, 05:26 PM
What are the views of the members on meat glue?
It is choice that has been given to me, but not a road that I want to go down. All advice is wellcome.

Invicta.

Big Country BBQ
11-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Oakridge game changer brine 2 x strength less water for 2 hr and Best freaking chicken I cook! also HNF at 350-400 indirect

Invicta Q
11-19-2013, 05:42 PM
Thanks for that, any chance of letting me know where this can be purchased and can mail order it overseas?

Oakridge game changer brine 2 x strength less water for 2 hr and Best freaking chicken I cook! also HNF at 350-400 indirect

cpw
11-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Thanks for that, any chance of letting me know where this can be purchased and can mail order it overseas?

You can get it here: http://www.oakridgebbq.com/ but I don't know if he ships overseas.

Pooky
11-19-2013, 07:14 PM

Hi Eddie - Do you reckon Paul at American BBQ Dry Rub and Sauce Co. could order some in?

thirdeye
11-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Search the Brethren forum and also do a Google search for "Jumpin Jim chicken". It's one of the oldest methods I know of and it works quite well. It's similar to the style that Mo-Dave mentioned.

If you want to try a high heat method, the 400/40 method will give you pretty nice skin. The basic theory is to cook thighs indirect at 400 for 40 minutes. The internal will be around 180. I've done this in my BGE with good success.

All that said, once I tried scraping the skin it became my favorite method.

Zin
11-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Perfect chicken pieces in your WSM. Move your charcoal grate up to where your 2nd grill grate sits. Fill with lit coals and place chicken pieces on top grate. Total cook takes about 30-45 minutes depends on what temp you are grilling. 350-400 is the ideal temp for perfect chicken every time without charring the skin before the chicken is done. Cook the chicken skin side up for the 1st 15 minutes then turn skin side down for remainder of cook.

Invicta Q
11-20-2013, 07:31 AM
Hi Eddie - Do you reckon Paul at American BBQ Dry Rub and Sauce Co. could order some in?

He may want to stock this but he also might not, as it is now the off season in Blighty. Found a site in Holland that stocks it (True 2 BBQ), but having trouble placing the order. Doh!! Don't look like the site is finished.

Regards

Invicta

Pooky
11-20-2013, 08:19 AM
He may want to stock this but he also might not, as it is now the off season in Blighty. Found a site in Holland that stocks it (True 2 BBQ), but having trouble placing the order. Doh!! Don't look like the site is finished.

Regards

Invicta

Ah, that makes sense - Maybe one for next year though. I'm guessing you know him?

Interesting with the Dutch site though. Should cost barely anything to ship over, once the sites working.

Let me know how you get on with it.

Partyof5
11-20-2013, 08:44 AM
Search the Brethren forum and also do a Google search for "Jumpin Jim chicken". It's one of the oldest methods I know of and it works quite well. It's similar to the style that Mo-Dave mentioned.

If you want to try a high heat method, the 400/40 method will give you pretty nice skin. The basic theory is to cook thighs indirect at 400 for 40 minutes. The internal will be around 180. I've done this in my BGE with good success.

All that said, once I tried scraping the skin it became my favorite method.

I basically did the 400/40 on Monday and the thighs came out fantastic. That's how I'm going cook to them moving forward

checkrd past
11-20-2013, 01:06 PM
[QUOTE=checkrd past;2699433]

What was the process you followed? Did you just use the mayo as an adherent for your rub? Under and/or over the skin?

Added some rub into the mayo, dried the bird off really good, and was not shy about puttin it on the bird with rub all over it ,smoked at 325 untill it read 170 at the thigh,(a little over target of 160 ) , let it rest for 30 min abd it was soo moist and the skin bite through.

Invicta Q
11-21-2013, 07:51 AM
I like to thank all for the new ideas that have been shared. Looks like I'm going to have my hands full with practicing over the next couple of weeks.

Invicta.