PDA

View Full Version : Skinless Turkey Success w/ PRON

CErnst
11-17-2013, 11:28 PM
After 2012 Thanksgiving, I bought a turkey on clearance for $.5 a pound...picked up a 20 pounder, brought it home, cut it up, stuck it in the freezer. Tried to grill the thighs and didn't have great success...so I never really did anything with it.

After seeing all the turkey threads on here, I got the itch and thawed out the turkey. I ended up doing two breasts and two legs! :thumb: Seasoned one pair with Penzey's Galena Street and the other pair with my wife's cajun seasoning. Fired up the UDS using some maple, some plum, and just a few pieces of mesquite. Set the temp at 275-300.

I was worried about dryness, so I set my probe temp to 145. Once there, I thought of my pork shoulder cooks and thought I'd wrap them up to save the moisture. The wife distracted me in the basement going through the deep freeze, so after wrapping at 145 it crawled up to 190...I intended to going to 165. Thanks to the foil, it wasn't moist, but wasn't dry either...kinda in between. Not a bad first run for a noob.

Link to my PRON:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=9E3DCF8BD133E33E!361&authkey=!APL7DuDQemQymSI

sliding_billy
11-18-2013, 02:32 AM
That looks like a killer turkey sandwich (or 3) waiting to happen.

chambersuac
11-18-2013, 02:43 AM
Sorry it got over cooked, but it wasn't bad. Definitely a good job overall. Congrats.

bbqgeekess
11-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Being frozen for 1 year could affect the flavor and dryness I'd guess.