PDA

View Full Version : Hot and fast butt

TheRealGrinder
11-16-2013, 06:39 AM
I'm going to try my first one, due to time constraints. My concern is that the rub I'm using has brown sugar in it. Will the brown sugar burn cooking at 275- 325? Thanks

aawa
11-16-2013, 07:29 AM
If you go without wrapping it the entire time the brown sugar will burn. Just keep an eye on it checking at hour 2 and then every so often after that. Once it reaches the color you want, wrap it in butcher paper or foil.

I just did this pork butt yesterday. it has some brown sugar in it. You can see how dark it got. I liked the color it was and it still needed an hour or so to cook. So I wrapped it in foil and finished cooking it. Obviously you can determine what you think is the color you want the bark to be at.

http://i.imgur.com/v0XcvWO.jpg

sliding_billy
11-16-2013, 07:31 AM
^^^What he said.

TheRealGrinder
11-16-2013, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the replies. I did some searching on the web and found a post that said not to go over 325. I think that if I run about 300, that I can get that butt done in plenty of time. I will keep an eye on it and wrap at some point. Thanks

Bludawg
11-16-2013, 09:19 AM
At 300 you in for about 50 min Lb. Just remember it aint done until the bone wiggles.

aawa
11-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the replies. I did some searching on the web and found a post that said not to go over 325. I think that if I run about 300, that I can get that butt done in plenty of time. I will keep an eye on it and wrap at some point. Thanks

The sugar won't burn but it will get really dark even at 300 degrees. Don't be afraid to wrap if the color of your bark dictates it.