PDA

View Full Version : Traeger Question

Rick R.
05-01-2006, 11:41 AM
I can use some of your input if you don't mind. My Dad and I were in a place the other day that sold Traeger BBQ's. They look pretty nice and after hearing the sales pitch, sounds like they do a nice job. Well now my dad is all for getting himself a Traeger for his use. But.....he hasn't even really figured out how to cook properly on his Weber Kettle. He is a "gas guy" really in my opinion, for convienience. He is 70 years old and doen't have much patience. He wants to do long cooks and likes the sales pitch of the Traegers simplicity. OK now heres my question. The sales guy told him that the Traeger will also grill steaks, chops and burgers with ease. Is the Traeger good for grilling as well ? If it will grill I'm all for it for my own greedy reasons. But I don't want him to spend that much if it won't work for what he wants and that is an all purpose BBQ,Grill.

kcquer
05-01-2006, 12:46 PM
IMO, a Traeger just passes as a grill, it just doesn't get hot enough to grill like one is used to with gas or charcoal. It will take some relearning to use as a grill regularly.
Both of the Traeger dealers in my area cook regularly at their retail location, I'd ask the dealer to grill you some burgers and see what you think.

BBQchef33
05-01-2006, 02:18 PM
ok.. I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITHTHE TRAGERS AT ALL, SO THIS IS JUST A QUESTION.

How does a trager do grilling.?? is it just high temp cooking(raise the thermostat?) , but its not over direct heat like a grill.

If I am picturing the pit correctly, Isnt the heat source is a small pot that the pellets drop into? It dint seem big enuf to grill steaks over direct heat.

Ps.. The last time a saw one was a year ago, and it was briefly... i may just have the completly wrong picture in my mind.

Bossmanbbq
05-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Rick R I own a Treager and love it. On the hi setting you can do everything your charcoal or gas grill do, only diffrence and benifit is there is a smoke taste to your steaks and burgers big plus in my opinion. On the medium setting I have baked pizza, meat loaf and pastrami. On smoke I have had a lot of success in smoking everything you can think of from prime rib, turkey, brisket and pulled pork.
The advantages is the ease of operation and the consistant tempature during the cook, not alot of tending to the fire which is fine with me,others may argue.
I was going to have a pit built, but here in Colorado, its hard to find diffrent kinds of wood to smoke, and wnen you do the price is outrageous. I just went in on a group buy of pellets and bought 600lbs of pellets, oak, peacon, sugar maple, and cherry.
The Treager was the best investment I made,I will be competing in my first contest this June. My best friend has been winning contests in Colorado and also nationally at the Kansas city Royal, took 3rd in chicken, all done on his Treager. Check out his site at with all the trophies and ribbons www.overthefencebbq.com (http://www.overthefencebbq.com).
Hope this helps, I can send you some pictures if you would like of the stuff Ihave done. Check the net at Treager wholesalers and other sites you can fine some good deals. I bought My Treager Texas style smoker for $800 with all the bells and whistles.

Bossman
[email protected]

HoDeDo
05-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Phil - There are a couple different models - some are "barrel" type with hopper on the side, and a burn pot much like a pellet stove. Another has the hopper on the front -- both are indirect only.

I have friends that have two different models.... and neither think that the grill gets hot enough to cook a steak on properly. As a matter of fact, it gets to be a fire hazard if you try to get it roaring. If he doesnt keep that trap/baffle clean, I'm pretty sure a grease fire will ensue.

HoDeDo
05-01-2006, 04:07 PM
FYI... Smith and Wesson markets the Traeger stuff under thier name as well.... same gear, but it was less expensive at Sam's or Costco last season. I almost bought one - but just wouldnt have used it as a grill, only a smoker or oven...
Here is the S&W site.... might be able to find a better price on these - if sams or costco is still hawking them.

http://www.smithwessongrills.com/

Samichlaus
05-02-2006, 08:37 AM
I've got a buddy with the Texas Style grill. He likes it as a cooker but not as a grill, he claims it never gets hot enough. He bought a Weber kettle for grilling.

Bossmanbbq
05-02-2006, 09:28 AM
I've got a buddy with the Texas Style grill. He likes it as a cooker but not as a grill, he claims it never gets hot enough. He bought a Weber kettle for grilling.

Samichaus, I have a Texas Style and have grilled steaks, burgers you name it, and it does get hot enough (475-550) in fact I gave my charcoal and gas grill away!!

Bossman
[email protected]

Samichlaus
05-02-2006, 09:43 AM
I'm glad you're happy with your Texas Style.

From the Traeger Grills website.

The smoker control is a solid-state timer. On HIGH, the auger runs all the time, delivering the maximum amount of fuel to the firepot. This creates a temperature between 400-425 degrees F.

http://www.traegergrills.com/faq.htm

Rick R.
05-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the information. I think that maybe we should go back to the dealer and can cook a burger on one. He was nice enough to offer that to us. The only problen is he is 40 miles away. Going by what Bossmanbbq has to say, I think that it may just work for pop's and that I can use it when I want to also.

Bossmanbbq
05-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the information. I think that maybe we should go back to the dealer and can cook a burger on one. He was nice enough to offer that to us. The only problen is he is 40 miles away. Going by what Bossmanbbq has to say, I think that it may just work for pop's and that I can use it when I want to also.

Rickr. Thats how I made my decesion , I ate some food off a floor demo, ordered mine off the internet that night! Good luck and if you need anything give me a shout.

Bossman
[email protected]