PDA

View Full Version : Stick smokers question

Blownmope
11-09-2013, 06:24 PM
for those that smoke with stick wood how do you keep from oversmoking the meat??

MilitantSquatter
11-09-2013, 06:24 PM
good airflow, cleanburning fire = "sweet blue" smoke

it's really only going to be "oversmoked" if you choke the fire, which will produce a more dirty, white smoke...

columbia1
11-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Most stick burners have more of a problem with lack of smoke. A correctly burning fire putting out clean, blue smoke creates a very mellow smoke taste.

Wneill20
11-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Most stick burners have more of a problem with lack of smoke. A correctly burning fire putting out clean, blue smoke creates a very mellow smoke taste.
You nailed it. Hot little fire blue smoke.

dwfisk
11-09-2013, 06:29 PM
Small hot fire and good dry wood, in my case kiln dried hickory. I aim for smoke I can barely see coming out of the exhaust, kind of like a blue-gray shimmer above the exhaust. As others have said, good airflow is essential!

MeatCandy
11-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Also as you add logs during your cook make sure you get the log ignited...I preheat the logs on the fire box and then make sure they ignite before closing the door...I will leave the door cracked to create a nice draft to help stoke the fire and ignite the new log...this will keep your fire clean...

Diesel Dave
11-09-2013, 06:39 PM
Yup what they all said, I couldn't add anymore than that

ChickenWang
11-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Also dont put your meat on too early, start your fire about 30 mins to an hour before adding the meat. This gives you a chance to get the airflow right and bring the pit up to temp

Okie Sawbones
11-09-2013, 10:44 PM
Also dont put your meat on too early, start your fire about 30 mins to an hour before adding the meat. This gives you a chance to get the airflow right and bring the pit up to temp

Yep. Very important.

sliding_billy
11-10-2013, 05:17 AM
Clean smoke, preheated splits, small hot fire, well seasoned dry wood, good airflow... Nothing more to add.

swibirun
11-10-2013, 06:35 AM
I'm a long time smoker but got my first real stick burner last month and have been having good success with it. The way I describe it is that I add less wood than I think I need but more often than I think I need it.

BBQ_MAFIA
11-10-2013, 06:49 AM
I agree with what has already been written above.
Small hot clean fire and you will be in great shape.

Good luck with your cooks.

jonboy
11-10-2013, 07:19 AM
Did anyone say to keep the exhaust wide open and control heat thru the size of the fire...
There is no shame in using foil while learning to control your fire...
Smoke until you have the color desired, then wrap in foil to finish...
Practice, practice, practice makes better bbq...
jon