PDA

View Full Version : pork shoulder picnic advise needed

HookedOnQ
11-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Picked up a 11lb picnic on sale last night that I plan on smoking on the uds this weekend and was wondering if I need to prep this any different than a pork butt? Ive read that there's a stink gland that needs to be removed but couldn't find much info on its location so any info on that would be great. Also skin on or off? Any advise would be greatly appreciated and for those of you that try to make use of everything what are some things I could use the skin for ?

sliding_billy
11-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Skin on (and towards the fire) makes a nice barrier, but you get no bark on that side. I like to remove it. While I have heard of the stink nerve/gland, I have never had any issues with picnics smelling and thus have never looked any further into finding and removing it.

Shagdog
11-08-2013, 10:17 AM
I've done them the same as a butt and they came out fine, great even. I never heard of a stink gland, and never came across one either.. You can leave the skin on, but there is a huge fat cap underneath it, so by the end, you'll lose about half of your bark, and not get nearly as much smoke penetration as without it. I vote for trim it down.

El Ropo
11-08-2013, 10:26 AM
I like bark, so I remove all the skin and underlying fat. To keep the bottom from getting too much heat, I'll flip it once or twice during the cook.

Never experienced a stinky or foul tasting picnic roast. I prefer the flavor over a butt, it is more porky and rich to me. It seems that many places around the country are selling picnics for around $1.00/lb, so they are a great deal right now.

There are a few different things you can do with the skin. Rendered pig skin makes a great cooking grease. Cracklins, and chicharones (SP) are also easy and tasty.

Bludawg
11-08-2013, 11:01 AM
I skin Shoulders two reasons. I like bark and I like Cracklins to snack on while the Shoulder is cookin and the Beer is swillin.

HookedOnQ
11-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the info guys! Im a big fan of heavy bark so I think ill remove the skin and trim it up just like I would a butt. On another note I plan on smoking at around 250-275. Im figuring just under a hour and a half per pound so that puts me around the 14 to 15 hour zone. That sound about right?

Bludawg
11-08-2013, 11:32 AM
I did an 8 lb shoulder last week on the Weber temp was over 300 it finished in 5.5.hrs.

Mo-Dave
11-08-2013, 11:50 AM
I like to de skin it, then place it under the picnic while cooking. After it is done I use it for all kinds of seasoning, like ham an beans, country style green bean, fried potatoes, ect etc.
Dave

lantern
11-08-2013, 12:30 PM
The gland I think you are thinking of is in a leg of lamb.

But, in pork butt there one like shown here.
http://forum.cookshack.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2991028883/m/9951063983

And the lamb gland is shown here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3P4nNMGYks

BobM
11-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Here is my last pork picnic cook.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2684448#post2684448

Good luck!

swibirun
11-08-2013, 04:01 PM
I like to de-skin mine as well, but not only for bark. Any rub you put on the skin won't penetrate to the meat as easily if at all. Never had a problem with any kind of a gland and we've done a good number of picnics this year.