PDA

View Full Version : Cast Iron Question

code3rrt
11-05-2013, 09:38 AM
I've heard/read I think, that it is not a good idea to cook tomato based soups/sauces in cast Iron.....thoughts?

KC

Dadeo719
11-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Yeah that,s the consensus. Mainly due to the acidic properties of the tomatoes. That being said I have cooked many a chili and baked bean in mine. My suggestion is to make sure it is well seasoned before, not store the leftovers in it, and grease it up real good after.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
11-05-2013, 09:53 AM
I have very well seasoned cast iron but I always take everything out of the pot or pan and to serve in a new dish. I immediately wash it out with hot water and a bristle brush, heat it on the stove top to thoroughly dry it, oil it and then go eat.

I rarely have a problem that way even with mildly acidic recipes like chili.

legendaryhog
11-05-2013, 10:11 AM
I cook tomato sauce, chili, etc all the time in my cast iron dutch oven. However, it was my great grandmother's and then my great aunt's and was cooked in almost daily with bacon grease (they kept a can of it on the stove). So I think mine is just super, super seasoned.

dano
11-05-2013, 10:31 AM
Same here...chili, sauces, etc I do on well season cast iron cookware...

ebijack
11-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Mine is only 30+ yrs old, maybe 40 yrs old I don't remember what year I bought it. When I have too, I just re-season it. I do re-season a bit different than some. I'll fire up the grill with a load of charcoal, grease the pan up with bacon grease or lard and let the grill get to 500+ degrees and go all night till the coals are burned out the next day. A much harder seasoned surface than any other method I've tried.

Dauvis
11-05-2013, 10:57 AM
I've heard that you need to avoid it for new seasonings. After it using it a while, it should not be a problem. YMMV.

midwest_kc
11-05-2013, 12:22 PM
I cooked some chili in my brand new CIDO a couple weeks ago, and I haven't died yet. Though my wife did get summoned for jury duty the next day...think that might have had something to do with it?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
11-05-2013, 12:25 PM
I cooked some chili in my brand new CIDO a couple weeks ago, and I haven't died yet. Though my wife did get summoned for jury duty the next day...think that might have had something to do with it?

If it is for your trial, it might. :becky:

midwest_kc
11-05-2013, 01:37 PM
If it is for your trial, it might. :becky:

Thank Goodness she can't serve on that one. I'd be found guilty for sure!:shock:

ssv3
11-05-2013, 01:52 PM
All great tips above. Shouldn't be a problem on a well season CI unit. I remember when I first got my CI DO it wasn't as smooth to the touch and was harder to clean after cooking something in it. Now it's smooth as silk and clean up is a breeze. I've done chili in it and like mentioned above as long as you don't let it sit all night with food in it and clean and oil well it shouldn't be a problem.