PDA

View Full Version : Turkey - Where and what kind?

Bob in St. Louis
11-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Just curious if y'all are doing the frozen grocery store turkeys, or are you pre ordering them a butcher shop. Last year was my first and only smoked turkey. Can't recall what brand it was, but it was a typical grocery store "Butterball" type thing. Wonderful meat, but I'd like to know what you folks are doing.

ButtBurner
11-04-2013, 03:25 PM
I usually get them here

http://www.freewebs.com/ropertis/

you dont that choice (turkey farm) so I did not vote

Lockon
11-04-2013, 03:49 PM
I thought about going fresh, but the place I checked was abou $3.99 / lb and it would not be ready until 27NOV13. That would not give me enough time to prep it, so frozen it will be.

ButtBurner
11-04-2013, 04:04 PM
I thought about going fresh, but the place I checked was abou $3.99 / lb and it would not be ready until 27NOV13. That would not give me enough time to prep it, so frozen it will be.

oh yeah I pay top dollar for it, it was ordered months ago

they go for about $65, but what the heck its a once a year thing and they are great

Okie Sawbones
11-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Local upscale grocer here sells fresh birds that are terrific. We have our order in.

Bob in St. Louis
11-04-2013, 04:19 PM
you dont that choice (turkey farm) so I did not vote
Well...that would be the 'fresh from a market' choice.
Basically, the "fresh" choice was anything not run through the big business of frozen pre-prepared turkeys (like a Butterball).

ButtBurner
11-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Well...that would be the 'fresh from a market' choice.
Basically, the "fresh" choice was anything not run through the big business of frozen pre-prepared turkeys (like a Butterball).

its not a market.

its a turkey farm

white turkeys running around all over the place. Not a market in sight

No shopping carts either

;)

I can buy fresh amish turkeys from the grocery store. not the same thing. not even close

Bob in St. Louis
11-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Ok, thanks man. Nevermind.

Fwismoker
11-04-2013, 05:15 PM
I couldn't poll because I'm getting mine fresh and also cooking a butter ball. Brining and spatch on the UDS and the Jimmy.

sliding_billy
11-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Normally, I smoke a free range a few weeks before Thanksgiving and my wife roasts a Butterball for the big day (I am banned from anything but eating that day). This year, I was tight on funds (due to my new smoker) and wasn't going to do a bird. I saw $0.59/lb birds at the grocery store, so I grabbed a 20 pound one to help season the new pit. I'll cook that one early next week. Wife hasn't bought the one for Thanksgiving yet.

Teleking
11-04-2013, 05:49 PM
oh yeah I pay top dollar for it, it was ordered months ago

they go for about $65, but what the heck its a once a year thing and they are great

Yep local free range and fresh. Waaaay less fat and worth every penny for once or twice a year. (Christmas)

104timberwolf
11-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Bought a "fresh" turkey from our local Fresh Market several years ago. Damn thing was expensive. Got it home and it was frozen solid on the inside. Been buying the frozen birds at Walmart since then. Just picked up 2 @ .68/lb.

deguerre
11-04-2013, 06:01 PM
If I don't do a twice smoked ham, I do a Butterball. Don't even know where I could find a fresh one. Wish I could get a wild one once, as I've had wild geese and absolutely loved them as opposed to farm raised...

Wneill20
11-04-2013, 06:12 PM
SAM Club fresh $.89 lb been buying them there for years always good.

dwfisk
11-04-2013, 06:22 PM
If I don't do a twice smoked ham, I do a Butterball. Don't even know where I could find a fresh one. Wish I could get a wild one once, as I've had wild geese and absolutely loved them as opposed to farm raised...

You get yo-self a ghillie suit & a shotgun, wander out into the swamp before dawn, hunker down, make (the right kind of) strange noises and hope you don't flush up bigfoot. Probably only $100 per pound:biggrin1:

Oh yea, I like fresh so I can brine myself.

deguerre
11-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Would a Holland and Holland be overkill?

Bob in St. Louis
11-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Well after 24 votes, its 2:1 going towards buying the name-brand frozen stuff wrapped in plastic over something fresh. It's good to see, as that's what I'll more than likely end up with. I forgot about ordering ahead, otherwise I'd have probably called a local butcher and asked them if they could supply something other than the "Tyson chicken" equivalent of a turkey.

Admittedly, last years grocery store bird was the best I'd ever eaten, period. I even took pictures of it, as it was the best looking turkey I've ever seen in person.

c farmer
11-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Bought a "fresh" turkey from our local Fresh Market several years ago. Damn thing was expensive. Got it home and it was frozen solid on the inside. Been buying the frozen birds at Walmart since then. Just picked up 2 @ .68/lb.

Same thing happened to me. Bought a fresh turkey that was frozen in spots.

So it was froze at some point.

cowgirl
11-04-2013, 08:31 PM
I'm doing a back yard bird. Haven't decided how I will cook it yet.

Bob in St. Louis
11-04-2013, 08:44 PM
However you do it, please involve a camera. ;)

Wampus
11-04-2013, 08:59 PM
I went on the hunt for a fresh NON ENHANCED turkey last year. Tried every single grocery store in 3 towns. Found ONE option.

And even then, the guy at the meat counter told me they were all flash frozen at one point. AND when I got it home, the fine print STILL said it was like 1.5% enhanced.

I've never gone free range REAL fresh before. May try that this year.

I've always done the frozen thing. Usually Norbest or Butterball.

jlane
11-05-2013, 10:08 AM
I pick up two every year from LeGrand's in South Saint Louis. I do one on the smoker and roast the other to appease everyone's tastes. They cost more but they're very good.

legendaryhog
11-05-2013, 10:26 AM
I go on the hunt for turkeys in whatever one of my fields they are scratching up. Once you go wild bird, you can't go back.

Big George's BBQ
11-05-2013, 10:42 AM
I go to muy butcher May be more $ but it is a fresh kill and nothing added to it

JazzyBadger
11-05-2013, 11:01 AM
its not a market.

its a turkey farm

white turkeys running around all over the place. Not a market in sight

No shopping carts either

;)

I can buy fresh amish turkeys from the grocery store. not the same thing. not even close

A market is anywhere that sells goods, just so you're aware. A fresh market can even be the bed of a pickup truck full of watermelons.

JazzyBadger
11-05-2013, 11:03 AM
I'm going to buy like sixteen turkeys like I do every year, and turn them into all sorts of different things, because when it's turkey season I go ALL OUT BABY!
Frozen ones. My boys don't give two craps if it's free range and fresh or frozen for six years. They're just all going to cover it with a ton of hot sauce or ketchup anyway. I swear their meal is the condiments, and the meat is the flavor enhancement.

dadsr4
11-05-2013, 11:29 AM
I Googled "turkey farm" and found them in my area. You might try that.

dwfisk
11-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Would a Holland and Holland be overkill?

They have a really nice .410 over-under for about $135,000. Assuming you're lucky enough to get a 12# bird, that's only $11,250 per pound, of course the next one is free :biggrin1:

jimbonelson
11-05-2013, 11:43 AM
local super market give away frozen birds, but there is a amish farmers market close by that I can get fresh from