PDA

View Full Version : Salsa lizano?

Georgiaboy98
10-31-2013, 04:51 PM
Have any of y'all tried this stuff? Trust me it is the best all around condiment ever! It's from Costa Rica and the use it for everything. We put it in veggies to kick them up a bit we put it on all kinds of meat before and after grilling. You can get it at most Latin stores, if you'd like to try it. If people would taste it they would love it!http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p676/Georgiaboy98/20131031_173545_zps82352d28.jpg

Bludawg
10-31-2013, 07:20 PM
YES I HAVE it is amazing stuff if you want to make your own I have recipe not exact because the Exact recipe is in the vault with Coke, DR Pepper, and KFC spice blend but it is very close.

Lizano-Style Costa Rican Salsa

Ingredients
1/2 onion, chopped
1 small carrot, chopped
1 cup chopped cauliflower
1 tsp powdered vegetable stock
1/2 green chilli
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp blackstrap molasses
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp celery seeds
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp tumeric

To Make
1. Place the chopped onion, carrot and cauliflower in a saucepan and cover with boiling water. Bring to the boil and then simmer until the vegetables are cooked through and tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the water.
2. Stir the vegetable stock powder through the 1/4 cup hot water that you reserved.
3. Place the cooked vegetables in a food processor or blender. Add the vegetable stock and all the other ingredients (note: if you don't want it hot you can remove some or all of the seeds/placenta of the chilli before adding it).
4. Purée until it forms a smooth sauce and then transfer into a bottle or a jar until needed. Store in the refrigerator.

Ron_L
10-31-2013, 07:36 PM
I've never heard of it. I'll have to look for it.

swamprb
10-31-2013, 07:49 PM
I fell in love with it when we were in Costa Rica, it is different and worth trying.

buccaneer
10-31-2013, 08:03 PM
Reads very tasty, thanks Bludawg!!

blake
10-31-2013, 08:26 PM
Love it on rice. Sometimes I will lightly glaze porkchops with it too.

KC Transplant
11-01-2013, 03:02 AM
I'll be looking for that.

daninnewjersey
11-01-2013, 08:27 AM
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lizano%20salsa&sprefix=lizano+%2Caps%2C239&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Alizano%20salsa

God bless Amazon....:biggrin1::biggrin1:

NickTheGreat
11-01-2013, 08:36 AM
What is it? Hot Sauce? A type of salsa?

Georgiaboy98
11-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Its a condiment used like ketchup or mustard. Its not hot but it is spicy. You can use it to marinate or to flavor vegetables or anything that need kicking up.:icon_smile_tongue:

cowgirl
11-01-2013, 11:48 AM
I've not tried it but want to. Thanks for the reminder!!

YES I HAVE it is amazing stuff if you want to make your own I have recipe not exact because the Exact recipe is in the vault with Coke, DR Pepper, and KFC spice blend but it is very close.

Lizano-Style Costa Rican Salsa

Ingredients
1/2 onion, chopped
1 small carrot, chopped
1 cup chopped cauliflower
1 tsp powdered vegetable stock
1/2 green chilli
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp blackstrap molasses
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp celery seeds
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp tumeric

To Make
1. Place the chopped onion, carrot and cauliflower in a saucepan and cover with boiling water. Bring to the boil and then simmer until the vegetables are cooked through and tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the water.
2. Stir the vegetable stock powder through the 1/4 cup hot water that you reserved.
3. Place the cooked vegetables in a food processor or blender. Add the vegetable stock and all the other ingredients (note: if you don't want it hot you can remove some or all of the seeds/placenta of the chilli before adding it).
4. Purée until it forms a smooth sauce and then transfer into a bottle or a jar until needed. Store in the refrigerator.

Bludawg we must google the same recipes. I have that one on my favorites list too!! :thumb:

http://gormandizewithus.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/home-made-salsa-lizano-costa-rican.html

She has some other recipes I want to try.

Schmoke
11-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Lizano is *wonderful*. Mustard based. Not a 'hot' sauce at all. Very thick & spicy tho.

A number of years ago, someone had a lightbulb moment and made hot sauce based on Lizano, it was called 'Inner Beauty'. That was my favorite sauce for a long time. Alas, the Inner Beauty enterprise closed down long ago.

Georgiaboy98
11-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Lizano is *wonderful*. Mustard based. Not a 'hot' sauce at all. Very thick & spicy tho.

A number of years ago, someone had a lightbulb moment and made hot sauce based on Lizano, it was called 'Inner Beauty'. That was my favorite sauce for a long time. Alas, the Inner Beauty enterprise closed down long ago.

It's kinda hard to explain to someone who has never tasted it , right?

Schmoke
11-01-2013, 03:29 PM
Yes, the flavor is unique. And a pain in the hiney to make yourself, see recipe above. Don't make it, just buy the stuff. If you don't, you'll wish you bought it afterward.

Bludawg
11-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Yes, the flavor is unique. And a pain in the hiney to make yourself, see recipe above. Don't make it, just buy the stuff. If you don't, you'll wish you bought it afterward. I aint see Old Frothandslosh in ages (IC's Best:roll:) it aint hard to make Salsa Lizon about 15 min and in the bottle, done!

Georgiaboy98
11-01-2013, 03:45 PM
I will buy it, I just go about 3 miles to the Latin store. They keep about 10 bottles on hand. My wife is Costa Rican and can't go long without it!