PDA

View Full Version : IMPS 130 beef ribs on the menu! Pron inside

lantern
10-31-2013, 07:18 AM
Well here's my beef rib cook. Got these bad boys at restaurant depot in Charlotte. They are IMPS 130 or chuck short ribs. And they were pretty tasty!!!!

I used a simple rub made of one part peppercorn blend(white black red green) one part kosher salt, 1/4 part granulated garlic, 1/8 part tatonka dust.

I used briquettes in the bottom to keep the small pieces of royal oak lump from dropping through the bottom grate of the WSM and to start. I used cherry chunks for flavor. I rarely do any beef without cherry.....good match in my opinion.

She rolled around 265-288 for 7 hours with no full and came out tender as could be. Well I like my beef with just the tiniest amount of tug. If done slow like this its usually around 190 degrees internal, but as always its about feel not temps.

These things aren't remotely gone yet and I'm already getting "we are sooo going back to Charlotte soon" remarks. I musta done good!:becky:

sliding_billy
10-31-2013, 07:24 AM
Great looking bones.

JS-TX
10-31-2013, 07:38 AM
Great looking ribs!

aawa
10-31-2013, 07:41 AM
I would hit that like Ike and Tina Turner

peeps
10-31-2013, 07:51 AM
Damn, those look tasty! How much did you have to wrestle those bones to get them out of the rib rack once they plumped up??? :biggrin:

lantern
10-31-2013, 08:04 AM
Damn, those look tasty! How much did you have to wrestle those bones to get them out of the rib rack once they plumped up??? :biggrin:

LOL!!! I see ya noticed that!!! I was an hour into the smoke sitting on the couch thinking of how they fit so nicely into my new weber rack....and went.....CRAP they're gonna blow up and be stuck!!

So, I enlisted the help and extra two hands of my girlfriend to pull apart the rails ever so slightly while I extracted the ribs. But in the end It wasn't as bad as it could have been since I like to put my bones heavy end up. If I had went heavy end down it would have been hilarious!!:doh::heh:

Ron_L
10-31-2013, 08:08 AM
I would hit that like Ike and Tina Turner

Rollin' on the river? :dancer:

Great job on the beef bones, Lantern! I've had very good results with the chuck short ribs from RD. They are always nice and thick and cook up nicely!

peeps
10-31-2013, 08:12 AM
LOL!!! I see ya noticed that!!! I was an hour into the smoke sitting on the couch thinking of how they fit so nicely into my new weber rack....and went.....CRAP they're gonna blow up and be stuck!!

So, I enlisted the help and extra two hands of my girlfriend to pull apart the rails ever so slightly while I extracted the ribs. But in the end It wasn't as bad as it could have been since I like to put my bones heavy end up. If I had went heavy end down it would have been hilarious!!:doh::heh:HAHA! I can picture it now!

Hell, in my rib racks, I would have had to eat around them or they would have been stuck forever as I sometimes have problems with spares getting difficult to remove!

RAYSOR
10-31-2013, 08:40 AM
Looks great!

Garrett
10-31-2013, 08:57 AM
Dang those look good!!!

Mister Bob
10-31-2013, 09:02 AM
Very nicely done, those ribs are making me drool! On my way to RD now to decide on what's cooking this weekend. Short ribs just moved way up on the list of possibilities.

Thermal Mass
10-31-2013, 09:05 AM
Yeah! some nice looking bones, very meaty.:clap2:

Hmmm, will have to give cherry a run on my next beef cook. Typically use hickory.

Thanks for sharing!:biggrin1:

Pburke24
10-31-2013, 09:40 AM
Those look great man..

Just curious where do you guys get beef ribs like this. Every where i go around here (MD) i can only find beef ribs that look like they only have a little bit a meat on them. Nothing near as thick as these ones.

fingerlickin'
10-31-2013, 09:42 AM
Son of a gun, I gotta get to a Restaurant Depot. Those look outstanding. :thumb:

aawa
10-31-2013, 09:50 AM
Yeah! some nice looking bones, very meaty.:clap2:

Hmmm, will have to give cherry a run on my next beef cook. Typically use hickory.

Thanks for sharing!:biggrin1:

Try pecan on brisket and short ribs. It is by far my favorite wood on anything beef really.

Federalist2266
10-31-2013, 10:05 AM
Magnificent! That's a lot o' beef!

landarc
10-31-2013, 10:28 AM
Wow! Great stuff, nice cooking

lantern
10-31-2013, 11:55 AM
Those look great man..

Just curious where do you guys get beef ribs like this. Every where i go around here (MD) i can only find beef ribs that look like they only have a little bit a meat on them. Nothing near as thick as these ones.

You have a restaurant depot near you in Baltimore. They should have them. I tried to call to confirm but they put me on hold forever. The only thing you need to get into restaurant depot is a kansas city bbq society membership....or a business of your own.

Tango Joe
10-31-2013, 12:59 PM
Those are some dang nice ribs! Bravo!

dadsr4
10-31-2013, 03:53 PM
The last ones I cooked were from Krogers.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173895

FatCoyote
10-31-2013, 03:57 PM
Very nice looking and sound like you are very happy with them :)

sfbbqguy
10-31-2013, 04:44 PM
Those things look awesome. Think I'll try using the IMPS 130 to try to find some of these as usually hard to find good ones.

Diesel Dave
10-31-2013, 06:02 PM
those are some fine lookin plump arse bones right there

MossyMO
11-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Nice looking rib cook!
Have you tried the Tatonka Dust on its own on any cooks yet?

Zin
11-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Those look great man..

Ask your butcher for a rack of uncut short ribs. If cut parallel to the bone then they are English Cut, if cut across the bone then they are Crosscut or Flanken ribs. A full rack is about .50 cents + a lb cheaper than cut.