10-29-2013, 07:56 PM
Smoke-roasted fresh turkey
Cornbread dressing
Green beans with smoked turkey
Macaroni and cheese
Apple cobbler with vanilla ice cream

FatCoyote
10-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Everything that can fit on the smoker, ham, turkey, potatoes, green bean cass, stuffed mushrooms, cheese, sausage fatty, ice cream (yes you read the right).

sliding_billy
10-30-2013, 03:31 AM
I have been banned from cooking that day. That is the wife's baby.

jamus34
10-30-2013, 12:38 PM
I'm going to smoke a bird to bring over to my M-I-L's...

I imagine we'll have a smoked bird, a baked bird and a fried bird.

Thermal Mass
10-30-2013, 12:50 PM
I am trying to get the lead on making the turkey from my MIL...:boxing:

Either way I am seriously kicking up my sweet potato and sausage casserole (it actually is more of a souffle) by smoking the fatty with the onion and pepper inside along with the split sweet potatoes. Totally re invented!:shock:

This place is a horrible influence.:becky:

Ron_L
10-30-2013, 12:52 PM
I have no clue. It's way too early for me to be thinking about Thanksgiving!

ButtBurner
10-30-2013, 12:52 PM
I have been banned from cooking that day. That is the wife's baby.

same here

but its the 93 yr old mother in law thats in charge here. she still cranks out the turkey and all the fixins.

I do carve the bird for her the past few years and heft it in and out of the oven

BUT she has taking a liking to my home made kolbasz.. thats always on the menu too

Fwismoker
10-30-2013, 12:56 PM
I have been banned from cooking that day. That is the wife's baby. She won't let you cook the bird??

A buddy of mines wife won't let him but it's that she doesn't trust him not ruing it! lol

ATLSean
10-30-2013, 01:14 PM
A couple of turkeys will be smoked, everyone else is handling the sides. I might sneak in a rack of ribs just because!

joshcary
10-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Other than a smoked bird, the most important dish will be the quinoa stuffing w/ apples, cranberries, and sweet potatoes!

sliding_billy
10-30-2013, 01:50 PM
She won't let you cook the bird??

A buddy of mines wife won't let him but it's that she doesn't trust him not ruing it! lol

I'm not even aloud to talk about cooking the bird. :crazy:

BMerrill
10-30-2013, 02:42 PM
After baking the turkey for years, SWIMBO said a week before Thanksgiving about 10 years ago, "I want you to fry the turkey", so I did-for about 6 years; and then I smoked one (test project) on a Traeger a few weeks before Thanksgiving in 2008. A turkey has not been fried or baked at our house since. (Turkey fryer for $ale).
Smokin’ 2 for the family this year and who knows how many for others.

Menu (subject to change at SWIMBO's direction)
Smoked turkeys
Corned ham (fresh ham which is salt only cured for 7-11 days) boiling is the preferred cooking method as to save the pot lick'r for cooking a specific green leaf vegatable
Green Bean (no I can't say it, not going to say it, not going to eat it any more, please don't make it, soup & canned GB's with canned fried onions, YUCK)
Sweet potatoes made some way or 2 usually with a topping (crumble)made from brown sugar and pecans
Yukon Gold Potatoes made some way or 2 (mashed, whipped, Bill Graham recipe, garlic'y, etc. cooks choice)
Gravy (no giblets, please)
Collards (cooked in the corned ham water, yum)
Lots of Deviled Eggs
Another vegetable dish (sister's creation)
And yet another vegetable dish (daughter's creation)
Dressing (don't stuff turkeys, so it's not stuffing, pan baked dressing)
More gravy
Yeast rolls, butter and more butter
Cranberry sauce
Southern Table Wine
Pass the gravy please
And desserts...
Pecan pie, pumpk’n pie, a fruit pie (homemade Honey Crisp Apple preferred), and a triple vanilla Dream Factory© cheese cake which was kindly given as a team gift at a BBQ contest. Forget the cheese cake; it may not last until Thanksgiving, though its frozen, you know a little frostbite on the tongue never heat anyone.

Fwismoker
10-30-2013, 02:42 PM
I'm not even aloud to talk about cooking the bird. :crazy:

Billy she does know that you know your way around a smoker....Right??:biggrin1:

The_Kapn
10-30-2013, 02:56 PM
For the past several years we have gone into central GA for TD with our niece and her family.
I used to cook the Turkey, but...
Each year it got more and more difficult due to "logistics" and timing of the meal.
It came apart last year when the Nephew In Law bought a 21 # Butterball and I only had the roaster available with no time available in the oven to finish it! :icon_pissed
Underdone hunk of crap!
And, to top it off, his family does not even like dark meat... So why in the hell are we cooking a whole bird????

I told Mrs Kapn "NO MORE"!
I told her that NIL could get off his ass, stop watching the games on the big screen, and cook for his family like any self respecting DAD would do.

Fast forward.
I am now smoking 2 Turkey Breasts on the PG a couple of days in advance and transporting them cold to be reheated there!
Gonna due a couple of Drummies, just for me!

Gonna be a hell of a lot better than I could do there from scratch! 8)

Take that.......

/rant off

TIM

Teamfour
10-30-2013, 03:06 PM
Smoked turkey
Oyster dressing
Shrimp and mushroom casserole
Creamed spinach
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
ABTs

Bludawg
10-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Instant turkey dinner>> Turkey sub from sub way and a Swanson Hungryman, Mrs smiths Pumpkin Pie a nice Cobia and a Mason jar full of last years corn crop. Hey it's me & the Dog why bother.

Haastyle
10-30-2013, 04:52 PM
Traditional snoozer. Can't smoke anything, wife's family is SUPER picky.

Teleking
10-30-2013, 06:32 PM
I man up and go hunting and when I get home eat whatever is on the table ;)>. fWIW the wife cranks out some good eats.

abangs
10-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Going to visit my dad in FL for the whole week. Going to be more like thanksgiving week. When Dad and I get together it is smoker fest. We will prob do it all from fresh fish (we will be attempting to decrease the red and speckled trout population too) to ribs to brisket (have an extra snake river in freezer) to venison sausage to boudin to whatever else we can do!!!! I can't wait!

popeye
10-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Deep fried turkey . and also when the turkey is out in goes the ham

swibirun
10-30-2013, 11:22 PM
I'm making our Orange and Bourbon Brined Turkey done spatchcocked on our Pit Barrel Cooker. We did a test run in September and it was awesome.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zE1hXDSQH9E/UjJlz-tdilI/AAAAAAAAPi0/EYcAhR7EWtQ/s1600/DSC_6182+resized.jpg

Sides will be the traditional stuff.

sliding_billy
10-31-2013, 03:03 AM
Billy she does know that you know your way around a smoker....Right??:biggrin1:

Oh yeah. It's funny. She loves my food including my smoked turkey. This is her day though. Since we haven't lived really close to our family in years, this is her big event for just us and the kids that she gets to go overboard on. To put it in perspective... she won't even let me do dessert, and I do ALL of the desserts in the house.

daninnewjersey
10-31-2013, 07:34 AM
Instant turkey dinner>> Turkey sub from sub way and a Swanson Hungryman, Mrs smiths Pumpkin Pie a nice Cobia and a Mason jar full of last years corn crop. Hey it's me & the Dog why bother.

That sounds great....I'm a huge fan of Hungry Man myself....

STCL01
10-31-2013, 08:56 AM
Other than a smoked bird, the most important dish will be the quinoa stuffing w/ apples, cranberries, and sweet potatoes!

What is this and is there a recipe??????????????

rtboswell
10-31-2013, 06:52 PM
I'm cooking smoked turkey for catering orders and probably pulled pork and/or beef brisket for the family if I can get away with it. Not a big turkey fan even smoked. In fact ran a practice cook with an 18 pound bird tonight and ended up giving most of it away to neighbors.