PDA

View Full Version : Need SMoker advice

Big Country BBQ
10-27-2013, 12:49 PM
Well guys We are looking for a larger smoker for KCBS contest that I can cook 3/4 Categories (ribs, pork, and brisket) I have been cooking on our large custom build but due to temp in fluctuation we have decided to buy another due to me not have time to build another one so here are my options

1.) Lonestar grillz Insulated Vertical Smoker w/ extra slide in & rack
price shipped $3030

http://www.lonestargrillz.com/DSC06527.JPG

2.) Backwoods Gater

https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.bigpoppasmokers.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/c/screen_shot_2012-06-07_at_10.26.48_am_1.png

4.) BWS G2 Party

https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.bigpoppasmokers.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/g/2/g2_party.jpg

4.) Pitmaker Vault
http://inventorypictures.dealermade.com/BBQ-Smoker-Safe-1d.jpg

The Pig's Blanket
10-27-2013, 12:55 PM
I have been doing some research myself and I like everything about the Lonestar. Id say you will get votes for all of them :) Good luck

Big Country BBQ
10-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Yea I looked at the lonestar and like it really well only thing that throws me off is lack of reviews

gmag
10-27-2013, 02:01 PM
I want to throw three other options that would be perfect for those three meats:
1. Stumps Stumpster
2. Humphreys Battle Box
3. Assassin ( not the 28 )

Big Country BBQ
10-27-2013, 02:33 PM
I came close to getting a gravity feed but wanting a more of water cooker design than anything?

BBQ_MAFIA
10-27-2013, 02:42 PM
Don't forget to include the Spicewine in the mix before make a decision.

Big Country BBQ
10-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Well after discussing with other comp teams and talking about the manufacturing of the 2 ive came up with the 2 choices which are lonestargrillz smoker and a Humphrey down eat beast.

The Pig's Blanket
10-27-2013, 04:32 PM
Yea I looked at the lonestar and like it really well only thing that throws me off is lack of reviews

Someone on here from KY was going to pick his lonestar up this weedend I think? He said he would do a review.

I watched this the other day. there are a couple parts. not sure if you seen it or not?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jfp8MUlRPk

smokinit
10-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Hey look at the Humphreys also click on the link in my sig.

ajstrider
10-27-2013, 06:22 PM
You totally left Humphrey's out of that lineup!

joemat
10-27-2013, 06:28 PM
I came close to getting a gravity feed but wanting a more of water cooker design than anything?

I am looking at many of the same smokers you are (plus the Stumps Junior).

Have you considered the Mixon water smoker?

Big Country BBQ
10-27-2013, 06:39 PM
I looked at Myron mixons smokers but for wanting to do big cookings I still leading to the lonestar

joemat
10-27-2013, 06:57 PM
I looked at Myron mixons smokers but for wanting to do big cookings I still leading to the lonestar

I hear you. I am still undecided between a Stumps gravity feed or one of the several water smokers.

Aside from size, do you know the difference between the legacy vs. G2 Backwoods smokers? I understand a new G2 Fatboy is under development and I was wondering the difference from the existing Fatboy.

Big Country BBQ
10-27-2013, 07:18 PM
I hear you. I am still undecided between a Stumps gravity feed or one of the several water smokers.

Aside from size, do you know the difference between the legacy vs. G2 Backwoods smokers? I understand a new G2 Fatboy is under development and I was wondering the difference from the existing Fatboy.

From what ive gathered from talking to backwoods is that G2 series is deeper to provide enough room to fit an entire hotel/steamer pan.

shagnasty
10-28-2013, 09:23 AM
just picked up my lonestar this weekend. I can tell you its a beast! Hevy and well built. Its huge! Its a massive unit. Its got a lot of capacity. Ive only seasoned it so far and cooked a litte bacon during the process but it held heat for hours on just a little bit of lump charcoal. Chris is a great guy and I saw several of his other products while I was there. I cant say anything about the other brands but I can tell you the Lonestargrillz is a solid well built unit. Once I get a chance to actually use it I will post a review. I too was a little skeptical because ther isnt alot of info about them out there. But all that was gone as soon as i saw it. BTW, ROLL TIDE! Im originally for Bama myself. PM if you have any other questions.

ATLSean
10-29-2013, 06:56 AM
Love my Party G2. I get steady temps for 8+ hours every weekend! set and forget. That's without a Guru.

dano
10-29-2013, 09:28 AM
Can't go wrong with a Stumps!

Trailer Trash
10-30-2013, 12:14 AM
My new BWS Gater just arrived. WOW! It is all quality! Weighs 300 Lbs. and the doors sound like luxury car doors when you slam them shut. Racks are heavy stainless steel. Very nice welds. Had the baked on black paint sandblasted off and re-coated a custom vintage green color and finished off with pin striping. If my BBQ looks half as good as what it cooked in, I'll have friends I never knew. Guess by now you've figured out I'm pretty stoked... :)

Buy the BWS and don't look back. :)

spedly
10-30-2013, 09:43 AM
I'm a little biased but I'd be choosing Pitmaker and not looking back.

Smokesignalsfromtx
10-30-2013, 01:43 PM
I've had my backwoods party g2 for about 7 months now and still feel the same as trailer trash! Go w the backwoods!

abangs
10-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Those are all good units. Although I am backwoods biased. if you can wait two months the G2 fatboy will be here. Upgrades will be depth to hold full pans and the heavy duty racks. This or the G2 Party are the best backwoods options for KCBS cooking for the money. Add butt sliders to them and you have a dynamite set up. Both are priced in mid $2k range.

joemat
10-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Those are all good units. Although I am backwoods biased. if you can wait two months the G2 fatboy will be here. Upgrades will be depth to hold full pans and the heavy duty racks. This or the G2 Party are the best backwoods options for KCBS cooking for the money. Add butt sliders to them and you have a dynamite set up. Both are priced in mid $2k range.

I really like your T-handle stands for the Backwoods. Are you making one for the G2 Fatboy?

abangs
10-30-2013, 08:46 PM
As soon as my first one gets here so my metal guy can get the specs!!!

grantw
10-30-2013, 09:16 PM
go with what is available to your area, i just got a backwoods and was faily surprised on the lower build quility, but it cooks very well.i was trying to get a humphreys but i would have had to cross the boarder, from the pictures they sent to the backwoods i got i wish i drove a little, backwoods are tin cans :boxing:

Big Country BBQ
10-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Guys I appreciate everything but after talking to smokinit I decided to go with the down east beast by Humphrey smokers ! Nothing against BWS or anyone elses opinion but if feel that'll give me the product I am looking for! Appreciate everything guys!