PDA

View Full Version : A chuckie by any other name

HankB
10-18-2013, 01:11 AM
... would probably produce Pepper Stout Beef just as good.

I kept hearing Pepper Stout Beef here and decided to try it and it Did Not disappoint! :hungry:

Now as I peruse the sale flyers and meat sections at my local grocery I'm faced with a variety of meats that seem sort of like a chuck roast. For the last one I got something called an English Roast. I looked it up and it seemed like it was a chuck by another name. Or maybe a different cut. Didn't have a lot of marbling but had a nice fat cap and made a good batch of PSB.

What are the names I should be looking for? Is there some Web reference that would help me?

Thanks!

J'ville Grill
10-18-2013, 01:38 AM
Often times the names are derived from other ingredients used in the preparation not just from the cut of meat itself.

SkinnyVinny
10-18-2013, 12:46 PM
I have this issue as well. From what I gather, I believe 7 bone chuck roast, and bottom blade roast would be doable for the pepper stout beef.

I've used the bottom blade roast and turned out quite good. I asked the butcher once if there was any chuck, and he looked at me funny and said no one works there with that name :-?

JPS11
10-18-2013, 01:23 PM
I used a 10 pound hunk of beef called a "Boneless Shoulder Roast (Pot roast)" last week and it turned out great!

J-Rod
10-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Chuck, shoulder, pot, English... many names for what is pretty much the same hunk o meat perhaps just cut a different way. I don't even look at the names half the time, I just look for deep red color, nice marbling and a good balance of fat to meat.

Diesel Dave
10-19-2013, 11:41 AM
^^^^that's the way to do it right there