PDA

View Full Version : Pheasant

YetiDave
10-17-2013, 09:06 AM
So my boss just turned up with two whole, undressed pheasants for me! They'll be a week old on Saturday so prime time for cooking them. Anyone ever smoked one? Any tips?

Bludawg
10-17-2013, 09:24 AM
I've does a few, some folks Breast 'em out I don't. Brine it, spatchcock, cook skin side down 325( think Chicken)

oifmarine2003
10-17-2013, 09:29 AM
I have only done the breasts but the were very good. I would like to try Bludawg's methodnext time and see the difference.

legendaryhog
10-17-2013, 09:57 AM
Definitely brine them if you are going to put them on your smoker. Hot and fast on this one. Don't try to go slow and low or you are going to have a dry, dry bird.

Alternatively, I like to take the breast off the bone, bread it and fry it in a cast iron skillet. Yum.

utahusker
10-17-2013, 10:57 AM
I grew up eating and cooking pheasant. At age 10 - 14 I'd put on my insulated coveralls and drive my Ford tractor around the farm almost daily during season. I would average at least one rooster daily.

That's before the pesticides, ditch burning, etc knocked the pheasant population down in NE.

Oops, I better get back on topic. Breast out, fast and hot.

NeilH
10-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Same with quail brother same with quail.

Thermal Mass
10-17-2013, 11:09 AM
So my boss just turned up with two whole, undressed pheasants for me! They'll be a week old on Saturday so prime time for cooking them. Anyone ever smoked one? Any tips?
:twitch:

Yep, small hijack here...:mod:

We dressed in the field or shortly thereafter. Have had many a "fowl" tasting bird from not dressing and cooling quickly...:puke:

If it is not tainted, the suggestions are good. Remember too, bacon is a friend!:biggrin1:

Duckboats
10-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Bingo. I cook mine on the smoker with Bacon on the top to keep the bird moist. another thing about peasants is the lack of fat. We skin ours out so we lose a lot of fat.
Anyway,
Brine & spatchcock. I do breasts up covered in bacon.
best pheasant i have eaten.

GT-Q
10-17-2013, 02:50 PM
I smoked some breasts wrapped in bacon. It turned out great! I wish we had brought back whole birds from the hunt though, I'd love to try one spatchcock.