PDA

View Full Version : Wood only fire in WSM?

ExperiencedRookie
10-16-2013, 10:27 AM
Has anyone used a wood only fire in their WSM?

I have a huge offset that I can't use all the time so I will use my WSM for a brisket or something small. But the last brisket I did on the WSM didn't come out as well as I can normally do on the offset. The smoke ring was very small and in general it didn't absorb too much smoke from the wood chunks.

I am thinking of trying to use just a wood fire, no charcoal for a smoke and see what happens. I know I will have to baby sit it but I am used to that with the offset so no big deal.

Anyone tried this before?

Is it a dumb idea?

Fwismoker
10-16-2013, 10:39 AM
I'd just use good quality lump charcoal but to answer your question absolutely you can use a wood fire.

Pre burn your wood and scoop your coals into the basket is all you have to do.

DownHomeQue
10-16-2013, 10:57 AM
that would be a hot WSM.. unless you dramatically cut the amount of wood down.. and replenish it on the regular

Offset produces much better food than all other smokers IMHO.. no way to reproduce that in a WSM

Fwismoker
10-16-2013, 11:09 AM
I've used wood coals in my UDS and have kept temps fine. It's not anything i do alot because good lump and wood chunks will give you the flavor you want.

Fwismoker
10-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Offset produces much better food than all other smokers IMHO.. no way to reproduce that in a WSM

A wood fire in a offset does produce good Q but cooking directly over a fire like they've done for thousands of years is unique in it's own right...which is why i like vertical cookers with no water pan, just right over the coals.

sliding_billy
10-16-2013, 11:14 AM
I would not do it unless you plan on burning the wood down to charcoal 1st. Even then... reloading will be a PIA, and the whole advantage of efficiency will be lost by not being able to do a tightly packed Minion. Last thing is that all of that smoke is going to be going straight up into your meat and lid. Just my thoughts. It has been done, but I do not know of anyone who has come out of the experiment thinking that they will EVER do it again.

Bludawg
10-16-2013, 11:16 AM
Sell the WSM and get a PBC or a small Backyard offset like an Old Country

landarc
10-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Nothing tastes like an offset, or for that matter, like a WSM, the problem for you is that they don't taste the same.

If you want an offset flavor, you have to use a offset cooker, it isn't the fuel, it is the combination of the fuel, the way the heat and smoke work around the meat, the size of the cooker, all end up being factors. That is what made Bandera cookers so great. Backyard form factor, stickburner style cooking.