PDA

View Full Version : Weapon of choice for holiday smoked turkey ?

Thespanishgrill
10-15-2013, 07:05 AM
Hi all, I have a Weber kettle and a wsm on the way. I would like to get a plan for whole turkey on the Q.
Question would be indirect with coals on either side on the kettle or in the wsm.
On a side note is it even possible to cook a turkey vertical in a wsm like a beer can chicken style?

Thanks all

peeps
10-15-2013, 07:10 AM
For those looking to help with an answer, it is a 26.75" kettle and a 22.5" WSM based on his previous posts.

Thespanishgrill
10-15-2013, 07:19 AM
Correct, sorry for not including the
Gear. Sleep posting I guess lol.

Ron_L
10-15-2013, 07:26 AM
Yes, you can do a turkey beer can style, but probably not in the kettle. It would be too tall. You would have to use the WSM, probably on the lover rack.

My choice would be either indirect in the kettle at 325 - 250 degrees or spatchcocked in the Kettle at the same temps.

dwfisk
10-15-2013, 07:34 AM
Spatchcocked on the 26.75 OGT works great.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166428
I agree with Ron-L, temps up to 325* probably better and some do skin down and baste the cavity with butter. Best of luck!

ButtBurner
10-15-2013, 07:57 AM
I have done plenty of turkeys indirect on the kettle. foil pan in the middle under the bird.

whole, not spachcocked

that would be my vote.

sliding_billy
10-15-2013, 08:31 AM
I would go with the WSM and turkey whole (in a pan on an elevated rack so you don't make too much of as mess in your cooker and so you can collect the drippings). Get a full charcoal load, keep all of the dampers open full throttle and let her rip at 300+ (as hot as it feels like running) degrees.

charrederhead
10-15-2013, 08:36 AM
Yes, you can do a turkey beer can style, but probably not in the kettle. It would be too tall. You would have to use the WSM, probably on the lover rack.

My choice would be either indirect in the kettle at 325 - 250 degrees or spatchcocked in the Kettle at the same temps.

Dang it, my WSM doesn't have a lover rack. :cry:

Ron_L
10-15-2013, 08:38 AM
I would go with the WSM and turkey whole (in a pan on an elevated rack so you don't make too much of as mess in your cooker and so you can collect the drippings).

Yeah... Good point. I always use a roasting pan for a whole turkey. I stuff the turkey's cavity with aromatic veggies, apples, oranges and herbs and then put the same mix in the pan with some turkey stock and white wine and put the bird on a rack. I replenish the liquid if it starts to get too low due to evaporation.

superlazy
10-15-2013, 08:47 AM
Well I was going to go to MO with a buddy for Thanksgiving but my Niece convinced me into having it at our new house:sad:. I wanted to go play with Boom sticks, the select fire type!!!

So I'll be doing a spatchcock turkey on the WSM, No need to mess with the beer can nonsense

plakers
10-15-2013, 09:04 AM
If you don't need the presentation of the whole bird, spatchcocked my go to way. Indirect on your kettle, WSM, or reason to build a UDS. 300 to 325 degrees, not colder unless you want rubbery skin.

For a real treat brine using patiodaddios recipe first

K-Train
10-15-2013, 09:28 AM
WSM and turkey cannon

BubbaCoy
10-15-2013, 09:46 AM
I did our last Thanksgiving bird on the UDS. Brined using Patio Daddio's recipe, cooked whole with a pan on the lower rack for dripping collection. Came out fantastic.

I froze the carcass, and made soup a couple months later. Came out great as well.

If I were to change anything I might go just a bit lighter on the smoke. Maybe.

NeilH
10-15-2013, 09:52 AM
I plan to wsm one as well. Still looking at what temp.

superlazy
10-15-2013, 10:04 AM
I plan to wsm one as well. Still looking at what temp.
Aim for 325ish

Wampus
10-15-2013, 10:25 AM
WSM and turkey cannon

AGREED!

Turkey Cannon all the way.
Find it here:
http://www.campchef.com/infusion-roaster-turkey-cannon.html

I have two. They're awesome. It's the best of both worlds: "beer can style" turkey without making it so farkin tall it won't fit in a smoker.

I also agree with Ron_L. I'd recommend higher cooking temps.

LOTS of good info in this thread about turkey:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120494

garzanium
10-15-2013, 10:36 AM
turkey cannon haha! greatness..going to build one out of 2x2 square tube or pipe steel and weld it onto a base...great idea.

J-Rod
10-15-2013, 12:37 PM
I vote Kettle. Shoot for 300+ temps, and toss a couple apple chunks on the fire. Stuff cavity with an onion, an apple and herbs, oil down the bird with olive oil, season skin. Place on a rack in a roasting pan and cook away. I usually shoot for 160* in the breast. Juicy every time. Save the drippings for gravy.

Tip- you can also ice down the breasts for a half hour prior to cooking. This slows the breasts from cooking too fast and helps keep the breast moist. Just be sure to remove the ice before it hits the cooker of course.

DerHusker
10-15-2013, 12:44 PM
Here's how I did our last Thanksgiving Turkey. (Scoll down the page just a few posts)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167447