PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Tip, finishing dust or not.. What say you?

Thespanishgrill
10-12-2013, 06:02 AM
Going to be bbqin kettle style with light smoke a couple of Tri-Tip today. Trying out some Simply Marvelous pecan rub on them. By the way just have to mention big poppa smokers has some of the best customer service I've seen in ages.
I've been hearing about using finishing seasoning which I don't have any past experience with but makes sense so I figured I would put the question to the more experienced.
Side note I've got the multipack SM so lots of options with seasoning.
Thanks all

westy
10-12-2013, 07:27 AM
Why not? Shake some on. Pretty hard to go wrong with those rubs.

sliding_billy
10-12-2013, 07:28 AM
Tri-tip stands so well on its own, I say no. S&P is plenty, and I can do tri-tip naked even.

gmag
10-12-2013, 09:19 AM
I usually use Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express on my tritip and no finishing rub. It doesn't mean my way is right though. I say if you haven't used a finishing rub before, you may as well try it out!

93vpmod
10-12-2013, 09:39 AM
If you are already going to be firing up the smoker, do several and try different combinations. Make a note of what you like and don't like for future reference.

Tri-tip with a small amount of any SM rub would be great. Don't overwhelm that great tasting beef.

V-wiz
10-12-2013, 01:57 PM
Ive really enjoyed Montreal steak seasoning on my steak.

Okie Sawbones
10-12-2013, 02:30 PM
... I can do tri-tip naked even.

What do your neighbors say? :twisted:

cowgirl
10-12-2013, 02:48 PM
I'm a fan of BPS Happy Endings.

landarc
10-12-2013, 04:45 PM
I normally do not use any finishing dust on tri-tip, but, with the moisture you get, it would work well. I often season my cutting board with olive oil, herbs and a little salt and pepper, so using a finishing dust would make sense.

If I was going to do it, I would use the Sweet and Spicy, or Peppered Cow and grind it up very fine. Then very lightly dust the slices.

Bob in St. Louis
10-12-2013, 07:47 PM
I love their spices, but with beef I say that "less is more".