PDA

View Full Version : Yep another question from the village idiot

Dadeo719
10-11-2013, 10:43 PM
So can one of these be made into a beautiful work of art smoker?

used for heating oil,, 280 gal, on 12 inch stand

jeffturnerjr
10-11-2013, 10:45 PM
Absolutely. However, question is, what do you mean by heating oil?

Dadeo719
10-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Don't know, was trolling on Craigslist (like I have every hr since joining this site...) and saw it for 100 close to me.

El Ropo
10-11-2013, 10:52 PM
Yes. People turn those into whole hog roasters all the time.

mrbill
10-11-2013, 11:18 PM
easier said than done(I know. but those oil tanks are used for cookers/smokers all the time), but...a few cuts here, a couple welds there, some high heat burns and you'll be rocking

martyleach
10-11-2013, 11:24 PM
Wish I could find one of those! Heck yeah!

martyleach
10-12-2013, 12:59 AM
By the way, you are not the village idiot. Your question is completely valid. No reason to demean yourself.

DjPorkchop
10-12-2013, 01:26 AM
My kids grandfather has one made as an offset smoker, all KINDS of cooking space. I loved when the old boy fired it up. Now that he has passed away, his wife will not sell it and it is rotting away.

R.I.P Harold!

mikeleonard81
10-12-2013, 08:18 AM
My kids grandfather has one made as an offset smoker, all KINDS of cooking space. I loved when the old boy fired it up. Now that he has passed away, his wife will not sell it and it is rotting away.

R.I.P Harold!

That sucks man!! Try telling her that he brought a lot of joy with that thing and he'd hate to see it rot away. Sounds like your attached to the ol'' girl. Good luck getting it!

dwfisk
10-12-2013, 08:23 AM
I think you can find several builds here by searching "250 gallon build" or "fuel tank build", you should fine several to get ideas.

Twelvegaugepump
10-12-2013, 08:43 AM
I am working on my build and overall, the tank has worked great. Still tweaking things, but have done three full hogs on it already.

Here are some shots of my build.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165300

Here are some shots in action.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-168776.html

Feel free to PM me with any questions. The folks here were awesome in helping me. I plan to pay that forward.

warhawk_83
10-12-2013, 09:01 AM
Yes I'm building one now, although I'm a little overwhelmed a little. I really wondering when I'll ever need that much cooking space, quite frankly it's a lot.

J-Rod
10-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Chit yeah man people do it all the time. Some leave em upright and add a side firebox while others flop em on their side and add a firebox. If you lay it on it's side you'll have a TON of cooking space!

My wife's parents have a 250gal tank sitting empty in their basement at the farm... I dream about making it into a cooker from time to time... but how to get it OUT of the basement is the question!

caseydog
10-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Absolutely. However, question is, what do you mean by heating oil?

Heating oil was the most common fuel for home heating many years ago, especially in the Northeast. It is a heavy oil, similar to diesel. The tanks were typically in the basement, with a filler pipe running outside. A truck would come by as needed to fill up your tank.

CD

caseydog
10-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Chit yeah man people do it all the time. Some leave em upright and add a side firebox while others flop em on their side and add a firebox. If you lay it on it's side you'll have a TON of cooking space!

My wife's parents have a 250gal tank sitting empty in their basement at the farm... I dream about making it into a cooker from time to time... but how to get it OUT of the basement is the question!

Yeah, they were usually installed when the house was being built, and are often too big to get out once the house is completed. When you convert to nat-gas, you either leave the tank in place, or have it cut up and removed in pieces for disposal, which requires certified professionals, I do believe, because it is considered hazardous waste.

CD

dport7
10-12-2013, 07:53 PM
By the way, you are not the village idiot. Your question is completely valid. No reason to demean yourself.

I agree totally, only way were gonna learn is to ask!!!

You look like the village smart man, thats gonna make a honey of a
smoker.

Twelvegaugepump
10-13-2013, 10:48 PM
Yes I'm building one now, although I'm a little overwhelmed a little. I really wondering when I'll ever need that much cooking space, quite frankly it's a lot.

It is a lot of space but I like knowing I have it if I need it.

Dadeo719
10-13-2013, 11:12 PM
So think we are going to pull the trigger on this one and get it. Hopefully he still has it. Going to call in the morning. Thinking of leaving it upright. Maybe with 3 trays. My friend and I thought it would be cool to put a rotisserre in it to. maybe interchange with the top shelf when we wanted it. Anyone ever do something like that?

scayne62
10-14-2013, 03:04 PM
My best friend and I just bought one, I am thinking we should build it into a giant backwoods, insulated and all. little more money but the efficiency of the UDS has ,e spoiled and I hate wasting fuel if it is not needed.