PDA

View Full Version : Salmonella Outbreak

SmokinJohn
10-09-2013, 11:50 AM
I wanted to make some roadside chicken, Moose style.

Stater Brothers has Chicken on sale for .99/lb. Wind conditions are normal.

So what do I see online?

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/10/shutdown-salmonella/

Where was some of the chicken distributed?

California.

hmmmm.....

deepsouth
10-09-2013, 11:52 AM
http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2013/10/08/ap830958093733-2c8a3d296bc553fa78bba7d8a2b32e1e0fc5de27-s40-c85.jpg

Bludawg
10-09-2013, 12:17 PM
That Humane Society sticker cracks me up, We Certify These birds where raised Humanely until they where Mass murdered at the processing plant and hacked into pieces for your dining pleasure pleasure. Bon Apite! :crazy::pound:

SmokinJohn
10-09-2013, 12:26 PM
I think there should be truth in advertising when this happens:

http://www.buyfatcat.com/images/fosterfarms.png

deguerre
10-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Hey, BONUS!

Grillman
10-09-2013, 01:43 PM
It would be helpful if they were able to accurately find out how the
people became sick.
Such as: did they not cook the chicken properly; or was the chicken
cooked to a safe temperature, but there was some cross-contamination
problems from washing the chicken first, or not cleaning cutting boards and
utensils.

But, most people probably don't know exactly what they did wrong
that caused them to get sick from the chicken.

Q-Dat
10-09-2013, 02:53 PM
That salmonella can resist antibiotics all it wants to. It ain't resisting 165 degrees.

MeatCandy
10-09-2013, 03:04 PM
That salmonella can resist antibiotics all it wants to. It ain't resisting 165 degrees.

Also keep your prep area, and your hands clean...Cross contamination is most likely the problem when chicken is on the menu...Yikes...Foster Farms is the main brand where I shop...:evil:

Instagator
10-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Never really understood the real threat of Salmonella. I understand that for older people and immunine compromised individuals its potentionaly deadly but if you cook it right, it won't harm you. Am I missing something?

Grimm5577
10-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Never really understood the real threat of Salmonella. I understand that for older people and immunine compromised individuals its potentionaly deadly but if you cook it right, it won't harm you. Am I missing something?

i think the real threat comes more from cross contamination then actual cooking and eating like mentioned earlier. I picked up cutting board mats specifically just to use for poultry. It also makes clean up a lot easier.

DjPorkchop
10-09-2013, 03:35 PM
i think the real threat comes more from cross contamination then actual cooking and eating like mentioned earlier. I picked up cutting board mats specifically just to use for poultry. It also makes clean up a lot easier.

Same here. I bought stuff specifically to use with poultry. We do keep a healthy supply of Clorox wet wipes on hand as well. I got a good case of food poison once years back and I never want to live through that one ever again. It was having the flu times 100.

Fwismoker
10-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Also keep your prep area, and your hands clean...Cross contamination is most likely the problem when chicken is on the menu...Yikes...Foster Farms is the main brand where I shop...:evil:

Yep cook to temp and use good food practices and its a non issue.

Instagator
10-09-2013, 03:39 PM

Yup I do the same. Its funny, I handle all meats with my bare hands, and never got sick. Friends are always concerned so they wear disposable gloves. I find that if you clean up properly, you wont have an issue.

Lake Dogs
10-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Having had a particularly bad strain of salmonella myself some 12 years ago, I'll say from personal experience, YOU DONT WANT THIS. And, I'm fairly certain mine was from chicken. I have no idea whether they were California chickens or how humanely they were treated, but as the cleaner and cooker of said chicken, I was sick as no tomorrow for a few weeks, could've died, and still to this day my innerd's aren't the same... I will not paint the vivid picture of how bad this is/was; please trust me it's BAD. You have no control, and it spews violently from both ends... PROJECTILE. I could've easily **** on the ceiling.

ak56
10-09-2013, 03:51 PM

Smoked six Foster Farms whole chickens on Saturday. Charcoal and apple wood. Handled them properly, pulled from smoker at 165. Not afraid of salmonella. We're eating 'em.

Lake Dogs
10-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Smoked six Foster Farms whole chickens on Saturday. Charcoal and apple wood. Handled them properly, pulled from smoker at 165. Not afraid of salmonella. We're eating 'em.

AK, FYI, my chickens were actually cooked into dry oblivion. I got it from the raw chicken handling it. I dont know, I'm pretty good at washing my hands, etc. I didnt use gloves though....

MeatCandy
10-09-2013, 04:13 PM

Very Cavalier...I don't' think the Salmonella are afraid either...Don't' miss a step in your processes...They won't...

landarc
10-09-2013, 04:36 PM
If you cook to the old standard of 165F for at least 5 minutes, there will be no risk of salmonella from the food. However, there should be no salmonella on chickemn it comes from poor processing. Once you get it home, you can get cross-contamination from a lot of sources, spray, tools, not washing hands, board or counters, all manner of ways.

The Humane Society stickedr is just ridiculous

ak56
10-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Very Cavalier...I don't' think the Salmonella are afraid either...Don't' miss a step in your processes...They won't...

Didn't mean to come across as cavalier. I agree, the Salmonella aren't afraid either. Since any poultry, Foster Farms or not, has a risk of salmonella, you can't ever miss a step in the process. Don't seem to have missed a step yet, but won't say it can't happen to me in the future.

deguerre
10-09-2013, 04:38 PM
HUMANELY mechanically separated.

peeps
10-09-2013, 04:44 PM
HUMANELY mechanically separated.So, Ned Stark as opposed to William Wallace?

sslak
10-09-2013, 04:46 PM

The biggest problem is when it gets into things that are NOT designed to be cooked, usually via cross contamination.

My brother almost died when he was little from salmonella. He got it from ice cream. A truck used to haul Schwans milk had been used for raw eggs and not cleaned properly in between loads. There was a big class action law suit etc.

The most difficult thing was, we couldn't figure out what he was sick with. He had not eaten anything typically associated with salmonella, no eggs, no chicken, etc. We had all eaten the ice cream, but only once...he had it every night before bed for a couple weeks.

Most people don't cook ice cream to 165, salmonella can be very dangerous if it gets into the wrong product.

martyleach
10-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Those 250 or so cases of salmonella have occurred over the last almost 12 months, across the nation. Doesn't strike me as a big number at all. I always treat chicken like it is tainted and I always wear gloves. Don't want that sickness...

deepsouth
10-11-2013, 02:29 PM
this meat won't be recalled due to a 2001 court case apparently....

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/meat/evaluating/supremebeef.html

http://www.meatingplace.com/Industry/News/Details/45315?allowguest=true

letdasmokeroll
10-11-2013, 04:03 PM
This right here is why I eat pork and beef :doh:

Tom Sr
10-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Last week I bought a multi pack of thighs from the San Ramon Costco. When I heard
about the outbreak I checked the numbers on my package. Sure enough I got a number match, P7632. Took them back this morning and got a full refund. I just don't
want to take a chance. It's just not worth it.:shock:

Bob O Q Shawtee
10-11-2013, 10:03 PM
There are some intresting short films of food prep exersises where the food is sprayed with flouresent marker that is visiable under special light. It is enlightening to watch while the food is being handeled and preped because the film editor has made it so the marker glows and you witness the moment cross contamination happens.

martyleach
10-11-2013, 11:28 PM
Those 3 numbers, 7632, 6137 and 6137A are the only ones I see or have seen for a long time here in Northern California. I was at Costco today.... 7632. Went to the grocery store....6137. I cook that stuff all the time without problems. Bogus scare!

BecknCO
10-13-2013, 12:32 AM
So my girl has been freaking out about this since chicken is about the only thing she eats, and I just noticed that we have 1 single breast in the freezer with one of the dreaded numbers on it :twitch:

We bought it in one of those individually wrapped bonus packs at the local king soopers about a week ago (before the scare), marinated it in some delicious scotts Mediterranean marinade, and they came out great - possible salmonella and all. Mmmmm salmolicious!

Nobody got sick - so I guess the last one is safe to eat :biggrin1:. King Soopers (kroger) has been freaking out and has pulled all the simple truth organic, and foster farms chickens off the shelf, put up signs all over the store, AND left us both pre-recorded voicemails 3 TIMES :shock:

dirtydingus
10-13-2013, 07:25 AM
Sam & Ella???? Who are they???:caked:

reedzkee
10-13-2013, 11:01 PM
I got salmonella a few years back. Still have no idea how I got it. I hadn't had any chicken recently so there is no telling.

It was probably the worst pain I've ever experienced. Laid up in bed for days. There was a constant pain, but also every 3-5 minutes a terrible knife like stub would come and I would just have to scream and deal with it. Eventually they gave me some sort of muscle relaxer for my colon that helped quite a bit.

I wash my hands like crazy now, but I still love me some raw food. Raw eggs in whiskey sours, beef tartar, beef carpaccio...It's just too good.

martyleach
10-13-2013, 11:09 PM
OK, so the limit on USDA Salmonella checks on chicken is a max of 8% but they will let you slide up to 10%. Foster Farms has been hitting 25% at 2 plants in California. I don't know about you folks but I treat chicken as vermin. They are disgusting and tainted. I wear gloves and treat my cutting board like I was washing off the devil's juices. 10% to 25% doesn't faze me. It's all hype. Just be smart.