PDA

View Full Version : Brine/Skin on Whole Bird??

on the hook
10-09-2013, 09:25 AM
OK, after the help on the ribs, I'm gonna see about chicken....!00% of the time, I do NOT brine...However, I want to try it, so...It will be a whole chicken...I will add 3/4 cup Ksalt,3/4 cup Bsugar...Then????...onion slices?? crushed garlic?...If this imparts flavor to the inside meat, how about say...peanut butter? How about the same spices I use for the rub?? btw, I like peanut butter chicken(chinese)....

Now, I have always rubbed inside the skin and outside..I usually open the skin and peal back to allow rub, push the thighs/legs out etc, then I toothpick the skin back:mrgreen:...However, most of the time, the skin is not eaten...I have never scraped(whole bird?) the fat, so unless it is almost burnt, we(fam) discard the skin...Too chewey for the most part....I would like to leave the skin and eat, as a lot of flavor, but...Now, my question is, why not "just" rub the inside? Is it a personal preference?? They look good, all black and juicy, but if you can't eat it?? I tried some breasts without skin, and they were dry, so...Thx:loco:

Edit: Offset New Braunfels Black Diamond(8yrs?) @ 250+...Charcoal/Hickory..

Fwismoker
10-09-2013, 09:33 AM
No wrong answer imo, whatever suits your tastes. So what are you cooking on?

Cooking @ higher temps will allow you to eat the skin...love me some good chicken skin

southpaw_1979
10-09-2013, 11:27 AM
I typically add herbs to my chicken brine. Italian seasoning and a couple bayleaves. Sometimes I'll go out to the garden and get fresh herbs, Thyme and rosemary. I have yet to screw it up.

Jaskew82
10-09-2013, 01:02 PM
Couple things and I will keep this short and sweet...
Especially when brining a bird... make sure you leave enough time to place the bird in the fridge un covered for at least 12 hours. This allows the skin to dry out and gives you the crispy skin you are looking for.

Additionally, low and slow is not the best way to cook a bird. Sure it can be done and can produce good results, but birds to best when roasted around 325 - 350 degrees. You can still smoke at this temp. Speaking of smoke, go light. Birds absorb smoke very quickly.

Brinning... go crazy. Have fun with it but just keep your salt and water ratios where theyshould be. Plenty of blogs out there or just use AMAZINGRIBS.COM for more info.

Bludawg
10-09-2013, 01:33 PM
If you want a crispy skin( bite through) you need to sink the spurs and git that pit up to 325-400.

I spatch cock & Brine all mine, I cook Skin side down

1/2 gal water
1/4 cup Pickle salt or regular table salt
1/4 cup Honey
1 tbl lime juice
1 tbl lemon juice
1 tbl cider vinegar
2 tbl Hot sauce

Brine 1 hr per lb or over night, rinse,
Pat dry
Season
Spritz skin with cooking spray( makes it golden brown) and cook at 325 +

Big George's BBQ
10-09-2013, 01:57 PM
To a gallon of water I use 2 TBS Kosher salt, 2 TBS light Brown sugar. I also add some old bay seasoning and can add lemon and oranges

Check thirdeyes blog or patiodaddios both are good resources

Grimm5577
10-09-2013, 02:27 PM
I've often used montreal steak seasoning as a brine for my birds, adds some great flavor, I also use old bay like Big George suggested.

cook it hot and fast, and if your skin is still not crispy enough for you, either finish it off on a grill or use a torch.