PDA

View Full Version : Fresh vs. Frozen

Brew n Que
10-07-2013, 07:49 AM
Long time lurker here! This site has been instrumental is improving my bbq. I don't have my own smoker (yet), but my father in law has a nice brick smokehouse that I use every few months. I am planning a cookout in a couple weeks, and will definitely post the pron here.

Anyways, I happened upon some bone-in pork butt on sale for $1 a pound a few days ago, and couldn't resist, so I picked up a couple. I figured they wouldn't keep in the fridge for that long, so I went ahead and froze them. I was just curious, do you guys notice a difference between fresh and frozen pork butts taste and texture-wise, or does the smoke mostly cover up any differences? I've noticed only the slightest difference with steaks, so I'm figuring smoked meats would be less so.

Also, how long should I plan on for these to thaw in the fridge? They are both about 8 pounds.

cpw
10-07-2013, 07:54 AM
I've never noticed much of a difference, but I freeze most of the meat I buy as long as it's in it's original packaging or vacuum sealed.

I would plan on 3-4 days to thaw in the fridge.

sliding_billy
10-07-2013, 08:02 AM
Comparing the same piece of meat from the same source either frozen or fresh... I do not taste a difference as long as the meat was thawed properly..

Ron_L
10-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Same for me. 3-4 days to thaw in the fridge sounds right to me, too.

peeps
10-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Comparing the same piece of meat from the same source either frozen or fresh... I do not taste a difference as long as the meat was thawed properly..and by thawed properly, you mean:

- Place meat in microwave
- Enter type of meat - Butt (I can never find that setting, no matter how many times I cycle through)
- Enter weight - 8 lbs (My microwave then makes some weird noises. I think it could be an aneurysm)
- Wait (for some meat Smitty would be jealous of...it beats boiled butt by a yard!)

:biggrin:

RobKC
10-07-2013, 08:15 AM
My wife says thawing properly means running the meat under hot water for several hours. :doh:

sliding_billy
10-07-2013, 08:39 AM
and by thawed properly, you mean:

- Place meat in microwave
- Enter type of meat - Butt (I can never find that setting, no matter how many times I cycle through)
- Enter weight - 8 lbs (My microwave then makes some weird noises. I think it could be an aneurysm)
- Wait (for some meat Smitty would be jealous of...it beats boiled butt by a yard!)

:biggrin:

Or if it's during the summer, just put it out in the sun for a few hours. :crazy:

Grizzly6
10-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Why thaw it out? I have done several butts, ribs, pork loin, chicken, turkey and even a brisket strait up frozen when I put on the smoker. Some of the best I have done.

Brew n Que
10-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Why thaw it out? I have done several butts, ribs, pork loin, chicken, turkey and even a brisket strait up frozen when I put on the smoker. Some of the best I have done.

Hmm, I've never thought of doing that. I'm don't inject or anything like that, so I guess I can throw it on frozen. How much does it add to the cook time? Seems like it would add a heck of a lot of time, which I don't have. What about the rub; does it penetrate into the meat at all, or is all of the flavor just going to be in the bark?

sliding_billy
10-07-2013, 10:13 AM
I have done frozen pork butts. They work OK, but I find the rub doesn't penetrate flavor-wise as well and also the bark is a little bit different as a result of the change in rub adherence. I have also noticed a little bit mushier texture to the finished product. Last thing I have noticed is the outside drying out due to it cooking a lot faster than the inside. As for total cook time, it is surprisingly not a ton longer.

NOHENS
10-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Same for me. 3-4 days to thaw in the fridge sounds right to me, too.

Might also think...if its the beer fridge...I believe Ron told me less? That is if you like beer like I do?:loco: