PDA

View Full Version : Good First Offset

jwh1104
10-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Im looking into purchasing a good quality offset, Ive seen lots of different ones online and looking towards a horizon, its the only one ive seen in person, they have them at bass pro shops. Any other recommendations would be much appreciated.

ajstrider
10-04-2013, 05:04 PM
My honest recommendation would be to NOT get an offset. Neat looking, they are what most people think of when they hear smoker, but are less than desirable for cooking than most other types of smokers. That being said, Horizon and Yoder both make nice offsets.

SmittyJonz
10-04-2013, 05:07 PM
What your price range -- that will determine recommendations.....and are you just starting BBQ or. ?

PekingPorker
10-04-2013, 05:14 PM
If you are looking at that Horizon at BPS that's about $900, I would recommend checking out a Lang Patio. Just a little more, and one of the best offsets you can get.

DownHomeQue
10-04-2013, 05:16 PM
My honest recommendation would be to NOT get an offset. Neat looking, they are what most people think of when they hear smoker, but are less than desirable for cooking than most other types of smokers. That being said, Horizon and Yoder both make nice offsets.

I would like to hear more about this? How So are they less desirable for cooking than other smokers? :twitch::twitch:

Offsets turn out the Best BBQ period.. I would suggest you trying it before you knock it.. or don't speak on it.. lol :loco:

gtr
10-04-2013, 05:23 PM

My preferred cooker is my offset. I find it very desirable for cooking, especially when capacity is a concern. Plus, with my BYC I can do many things much better than I can in other cookers like cook pigs, hang sausages and bacon etc. I'll agree that cheap offsets may not be a good way to go, but a quality offset is a fantastic way to go.

DownHomeQue
10-04-2013, 05:23 PM
That being said i would check out these Old Country's Decent starter Stickburners http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits-wrangler-smoker/pid-653607?N=578824977&Ntt=smokers&Ntk=All

These are affordable

CharredApron
10-04-2013, 05:25 PM
I would like to hear more about this? How So are they less desirable for cooking than other smokers? :twitch::twitch:

Offsets turn out the Best BBQ period.. I would suggest you trying it before you knock it.. or don't speak on it.. lol :loco:
Me 3! What he said

jwh1104
10-04-2013, 05:31 PM
Looking around 500 to 1500, Ive seen OK Joes as well but when compared to a horizon the construction of the horizon just feels so much better, I have seen the ones at academy and some of those smokers do feel much more heavy duty. Never seen yoders or langs anywhere. There is a big bbq competition coming up in charlotte, Im hoping some vendors will be there and may be able to check some more out.

Teamfour
10-04-2013, 05:45 PM

Huh? My first smoker ever was an offset. I sold it just a few weeks ago after owning it for 10 years. I had to reduce my inventory of smokers and it wasn't portable for comps. I already miss it. It did produce some of the best Q I have ever had.

charrederhead
10-04-2013, 05:49 PM
My honest recommendation would be to NOT get an offset. Neat looking, they are what most people think of when they hear smoker, but are less than desirable for cooking than most other types of smokers.

:pop2:

CtTradArcher
10-04-2013, 05:50 PM
It's common knowledge that offsets need more tending and have a bit steeper learning curve, but to this recent convert the outcome is so worth it.
IMHO nothing beats the taste of food that is smoked with wood.

MeatCandy
10-04-2013, 06:08 PM
With your budget of $1500...Lang 36 Patio...Your close enough for a road trip...you'll be under budget and have money left over for meat...

Don't listen to that nonsense that stick burners are undesirable...I have one...It's highly coveted by all...

J'ville Grill
10-04-2013, 06:23 PM
I am so desiring my Lang 36 patio right now.

sliding_billy
10-04-2013, 06:57 PM
One big question that you will need to answer is whether you want reverse flow or not. That will alter your decision. You should be able to see plenty of offsets at that comp. Don't be afraid to ask folks about their rigs.

SmittyJonz
10-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Nothing wrong with a good offset but if I had 1500 I would get an insulated cabinet smoker because I do not want to have to tend the fire........... Electric then UDS done spoiled me :shock:

Rippp
10-04-2013, 08:15 PM
With the BBQ Competition coming to town, check out the Lang's. You can easily get the 36" Patio and be within your budget. IMO, the other thing to consider is that the Lang will have a better resale value if you ever decide to part with it and upgrade to something larger. It's better to spend a little more and get something that you're happy with than wish you would have.

TuscaloosaQ
10-04-2013, 09:07 PM
My Lord from heaven..... For me there is nothing better than an offset smoker, I cook on em, I build em, I love em.

Okie Sawbones
10-04-2013, 09:26 PM
With your budget of $1500...Lang 36 Patio...Your close enough for a road trip...you'll be under budget and have money left over for meat...

Don't listen to that nonsense that stick burners are undesirable...I have one...It's highly coveted by all...

I'll second that, since you are close enough to pick it up. Jambo make a dandy one, but it is 48" and $1900 plus shipping. I love my offset, but it does take time and attention, and wind can play havoc with it. I plan on buying an upright in the near future -- you can never have too many smokers. :biggrin1:

ajstrider
10-04-2013, 11:38 PM
When someone says offset, I do not include the Langs and such in there, those are what I call a reverse flow smoker, different, more even temperatures than a normal offset. I find the temperature difference across a traditional offset to be too great for me, unless you are looking for different cooking temperatures on one pit. It sounds like the original poster is thinking of a backyard style cooker, which most people do not want to sit around and tend to a stickburner all day long. It is an interesting tool to have in your inventory, but that would not be my choice for my one and only smoker. The original poster has 0 posts here and am making the deduction that they are new to the smoking world. For the kind of money one would spend on a nice Horizon smoker, I think an insulated cabinet style cooker will probably have more capacity in that price range and be much easier to learn on.

gtr
10-04-2013, 11:43 PM
I hear ya. Verticals are great - i have a couple/few and I love 'em. They're perfect for days when I have to settle for not cooking on an offset. :heh:

J'ville Grill
10-05-2013, 12:05 AM
When someone says offset, I do not include the Langs and such in there, those are what I call a reverse flow smoker, different, more even temperatures than a normal offset. I find the temperature difference across a traditional offset to be too great for me, unless you are looking for different cooking temperatures on one pit. It sounds like the original poster is thinking of a backyard style cooker, which most people do not want to sit around and tend to a stickburner all day long. It is an interesting tool to have in your inventory, but that would not be my choice for my one and only smoker. The original poster has 0 posts here and am making the deduction that they are new to the smoking world. For the kind of money one would spend on a nice Horizon smoker, I think an insulated cabinet style cooker will probably have more capacity in that price range and be much easier to learn on.

The OP specifically stated that he was looking for a good quality offset smoker. Just because he's new to the forum does not mean he's new to smoking, you are assuming too much. Tending to a pit isn't for everyone, obviously not for you. But a lot of people including myself love it. I like my WSM and my Cajun Bandit conversion but I've missed cooking on an offset. Plus you just can't get the same results and flavor cooking on a pit using charcoal and wood chunks as you can cooking on an offset using nothing but wood splits.

SmittyJonz
10-05-2013, 12:53 AM
I'd get a Black One......:heh:

peeps
10-05-2013, 12:57 AM
Brown offsets perform better than black.

AtlGator
10-05-2013, 07:49 AM
Im looking into purchasing a good quality offset, Ive seen lots of different ones online and looking towards a horizon, its the only one ive seen in person, they have them at bass pro shops. Any other recommendations would be much appreciated.

There are dozens out there worth owning, seriously. What's your budget?

dwfisk
10-05-2013, 08:35 AM

I for one don't need to hear more! While I respect anyone's opinion I just disagree. An offset, even a COS, is a great way to learn fire management and that is the key to producing great BBQ. But to the OP, read up on the different types of cookers and pick one that fits your needs. As much as I advocate offsets & RF stickburners, they are NOT set-n-forget cookers.

smokenpreacher
10-05-2013, 10:48 AM
I for one don't need to hear more! While I respect anyone's opinion I just disagree. An offset, even a COS, is a great way to learn fire management and that is the key to producing great BBQ. But to the OP, read up on the different types of cookers and pick one that fits your needs. As much as I advocate offsets & RF stickburners, they are NOT set-n-forget cookers.

I like my offset. I like playing in the fire, watching the smoke as I read, study, listen to music, ___________ (fill in the blank).

To jwh, get what your budget will allow. I have an Old Country Pecos purchased from Academy sports, and I really like it. I'm learning from it each time I cook. Whatever you get, learn it. Learn its likes and dislikes, how it goes through splits, hot areas on the grate, etc....
I give you credit for asking, but eventually the decision is yours. Let us know what you get...and we do require pictures....:decision:

jeffturnerjr
10-05-2013, 11:14 AM

Hahaha!

jwh1104
10-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all the wonderful advice. And to ajstrider, im not new to smoking just new to this forum. Im really looking at the Lang 36, I love the look of it and they do have a great reputation. Still hoping to get to look at one a little more closely at the bbq comp in Charlotte on the 18th. And really looking for an offset because I like the idea of tending a fire and being more proactive in the cook other than setting it an forgetting it, I believe you get what you put into it. Will probably also get someting else a little more set it and forgetish later on down the road for the overnight type of cooks. Again thank you all and will post some pics when I make my mind up.

Firefighter
10-05-2013, 01:23 PM
[QUOTE=MeatCandy;2647362]With your budget of $1500...Lang 36 Patio...Your close enough for a road trip...you'll be under budget and have money left over for meat...

Don't listen to that nonsense that stick burners are undesirable...I have one...It's highly coveted by all...[/

MeatCandy has got this one pegged! That Lang is an awesome stick burner for the money.

J'ville Grill
10-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all the wonderful advice. And to ajstrider, im not new to smoking just new to this forum. Im really looking at the Lang 36, I love the look of it and they do have a great reputation. Still hoping to get to look at one a little more closely at the bbq comp in Charlotte on the 18th. And really looking for an offset because I like the idea of tending a fire and being more proactive in the cook other than setting it an forgetting it, I believe you get what you put into it. Will probably also get someting else a little more set it and forgetish later on down the road for the overnight type of cooks. Again thank you all and will post some pics when I make my mind up.

I went up to Nahunta Ga. a couple of weeks ago to look at them in person. Let me tell you they are built like a tank. I hope you get to see one at the bbq comp, I guarantee you'll be impressed with the quality and workmanship of the build.

Damn True
10-05-2013, 02:48 PM
I'm a new Lang owner. I couldn't be happier with the purchase.

jwh1104
10-05-2013, 03:20 PM
I google mapped Nahunta GA from Gastonia looks to be about a 5.5 hour drive, buuuuutttt Savannah GA is about 1.5 hours from there may convince the wife she needs to visit Savannah and slip on down there lol.

Gasket
10-06-2013, 07:25 AM
I think my cheap a$$ char-griller turns out better tasting "Q" than my my WSM. I thought half the point was to sit outside babysitting a log eating hunk of metal all night long to be rewarded with some of the best tasting food to ever be put in ones mouth. Oh well, different strokes I guess. By the way get the Lang. :becky:

NRA4Life
10-06-2013, 10:59 AM

I cook on stickburners and turn out excellent BBQ, sometimes folks that aren't talented enough to cook on stickburners make comments such as those you made. And I see you have a traeger in your signature line so I suspect your idea of fire management involves plugging it in and flipping a switch. Leave the stickburner recommendations to the experts.